• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Core 47 vs HEDD Type 20 MK2

Erizo

Hello,

I am ready to spend money on higher end monitors for my music production studio. Right now I am liking both the Core 47 and HEDD Type 20 Mk2 in terms of on paper specifications. However a long time ago I used a AMT tweeter monitor (back in 2012) and noticed I got ear fatigue very quickly.

The HEDD on paper seems to have a better frequency response. -3db at 32hz vs -6db 37hz on the Core 47. I am not sure if that will make a huge difference in my mixes when it comes to kicks and bass but I rather have a more accurate monitor and lose a little low end if that is the case. I also think the Core 47 tweeter would be less harsh on my ears. And apparently the Core 47 has less distortion. I don't listen to my mixes very loud. Maybe Max 80-85db to check certain parts of my mix.

There seems not to be so much data on the core 47. Which is crazy since it is one of dynaudio flagship monitors. I see most comparisons with nuemann, adam, genelec.

I was wondering if anyone here has heard both monitors and could give me their opinion? And if you haven't heard them both. Any opinion based on the specifications provided would be useful.

Thanks !

dfuller

Major Contributor
If we compare like-for-like (i.e. F3 for F3), the Core 47's is at 44hz. That's quite a bit less bottom end extension. However I feel that that is likely plenty unless you're mixing stuff that has a lot of sub content - and if it isn't enough, crossing with a sub is not insanely difficult. We've not seen anything on the Type 20 of either generation, but we do have data on the Type 30 courtesy of Sound and Recording magazine in Germany, and it's... very okay. Really nothing to write home about.

https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/hedd-type-30-3-wege-monitor-mit-amt-hochtoener-im-test/

If you get either, please consider sending one or both to @amirm so we have data on it!

TankTop

The Esotar tweeter is about as good as it gets. I have Dynaudio speakers with the Esotar tweeter and recently auditioned them against another speaker with AMT’s. I need to do more testing, positioning and room correction but initial impression is that the Esotar is significantly more detailed when there is a lot of different sounds at once like some Pink Floyd, Tool or some scenes in movies. That said they are almost sonically identical in every other way.

BTW my testing is completely subjective and non scientific

OP
E

Erizo

If we compare like-for-like (i.e. F3 for F3), the Core 47's is at 44hz. That's quite a bit less bottom end extension. However I feel that that is likely plenty unless you're mixing stuff that has a lot of sub content - and if it isn't enough, crossing with a sub is not insanely difficult. We've not seen anything on the Type 20 of either generation, but we do have data on the Type 30 courtesy of Sound and Recording magazine in Germany, and it's... very okay. Really nothing to write home about.

https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/hedd-type-30-3-wege-monitor-mit-amt-hochtoener-im-test/

If you get either, please consider sending one or both to @amirm so we have data on it!

The Esotar tweeter is about as good as it gets. I have Dynaudio speakers with the Esotar tweeter and recently auditioned them against another speaker with AMT’s. I need to do more testing, positioning and room correction but initial impression is that the Esotar is significantly more detailed when there is a lot of different sounds at once like some Pink Floyd, Tool or some scenes in movies. That said they are almost sonically identical in every other way.

BTW my testing is completely subjective and non scientific

Hey guys,

I am gonna go with the Core 47's after doing plenty of research. I am also going to send the units to Amirm because there is such a lack of data on these that I think it is really needed! Thanks for your help.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Just so you know, a member is selling three Dynaudio Core 59 at a price point that each one is lower than a brand new Core 47. The thread is literally right below us in the similar threads section. If I were you I would seriously consider them.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Just so you know, a member is selling three Dynaudio Core59 at a price point that each one is lower than a brand new Core 47. The thread is literally right below in the similar threads section. If I were you I would seriously consider that.
Agreed! If the space is available I would do so.

OP
E

Erizo

Just so you know, a member is selling three Dynaudio Core 59 at a price point that each one is lower than a brand new Core 47. The thread is literally right below us in the similar threads section. If I were you I would seriously consider them.

Agreed! If the space is available I would do so.

Hey I would love to but my room can't fit those big things lol.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hey I would love to but my room can't fit those big things lol.
Completely understand, I was looking at them as well and then I realized they're effin' huge!

jim33

Forum Donor
This is a review I'm looking forward to. I demod some 47s but didn't have them long enough to do any measurements.

OP
E

Erizo

Omg I have to say this speaker is amazing. I received the right side unit today. I did an A+B comparison with my tannoy 8s and it's much better. Everything is just perfect to me. Don't get me wrong the tannoys are not bad for the price but you get what you pay for in my opinion with the 47s. They are not even broken in yet... Can't wait for the review amir puts out.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is from the manual of my Dynaudio X14A:

"Break-in time The transducers of your Dynaudio Excite X14A will achieve better sound quality after breaking in. Especially after the first hours of use, you may notice a significant advance in sound quality, and further subtle improvements in subsequent hours of use."

@Erizo, does the Core manual mention this explicitly?

I'm not syaing there is a real break in effect, just noting that the manufacturer mentions it.

OP
E

Erizo

This is from the manual of my Dynaudio X14A:

"Break-in time The transducers of your Dynaudio Excite X14A will achieve better sound quality after breaking in. Especially after the first hours of use, you may notice a significant advance in sound quality, and further subtle improvements in subsequent hours of use."

@Erizo, does the Core manual mention this explicitly?

I'm not syaing there is a real break in effect, just noting that the manufacturer mentions it.

Yes the Core47 Manual also states that there is a breakin period. Around 12 hours. Specifically states that before breakin there might be some brightness.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the Core47 Manual also states that there is a breakin period. Around 12 hours. Specifically states that before breakin there might be some brightness.

Very interesting! Do you think @amirm is aware of this? Maybe we can ask him for the possibility of testing it, given the manufacturer's precise indications. It would be very informative, to say the least, whatever the results. Do you imagine it's true? Do you imagine it's completely false? Such kind of misleading, again, to say the least, information in a professional speaker...

In my case, I noticed a huge improvement in my X14A after the firsts days or weeks of use. However, given that these were my first good speakers it was completely impossible for me, just with my amateur ears, to isolate the break-in of the speakers from the break-in of my brain.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that measurements of some speaker drivers do show a small amount of break-in, however this occurs within a few seconds or minutes of the drivers being energized. This 'break-in' would normally fall well within the factory testing period. Putting the drivers in a cabinet changes their response far more than the tiny change measured at the bare driver. Putting the speakers in a room changes their response far more than the tiny changes measured at the bare driver.

OP
E

Erizo

I hear it is a bit smoother now after running music through them all day yesterday. I don't know if it's my mind playing games with me

Top Bottom