• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Contour 30 Feedback

tomstoll

Forum Donor
im in the market for a upgrade to my Media room setup.

My Current setup is a Paradigm Monitor 9v7 and powered by a denon x3600 with a HSU VTF-15H MK2 Sub.

room is irregular shaped Media room with low ceilings.
MLP is ~12' with a 120" projector screen with speakers placed on sides of screen.

is the dynaudio contour worth a deeper dive? im worried thats it above my needs but open to suggestions.

im also looking at the JBL HDI 3800/4500 as a point of reference on my flexible budget..

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Contour 20 measures like a classic Dynaudio: reasonably flat response, narrow vertical sweet spot (lower-order XO), narrow HF dispersion.

I'd expect Contour 30 to be essentially the same from the midrange up, with more bass extension.

jonfitch

If they sound anything like the Confidence 20, then careful placement is needed. Because these are big (> 7") woofers paired with 1" tweeters at a rather high crossover point, they have a habit of sounding excessively mellow in the room unless you "toe in" and point the tweeters directly at your ears.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Contour 20 measures like a classic Dynaudio: reasonably flat response, narrow vertical sweet spot (lower-order XO), narrow HF dispersion.

I'd expect Contour 30 to be essentially the same from the midrange up, with more bass extension.

I wouldn't really say it has narrow HF dispersion. Here's the comparison vs F208:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've been living with the smaller Contour 20 for 2 years now, paired with 2 x ML Dynamo 1100 subs, crossed over at 80 hz.

Dynaudios like a lot of power.

They might not be a great match for an AVR.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If they sound anything like the Confidence 20, then careful placement is needed. Because these are big (> 7") woofers paired with 1" tweeters at a rather high crossover point, they have a habit of sounding excessively mellow in the room unless you "toe in" and point the tweeters directly at your ears.

I listen at a distance of 17' and the tweeters are toed in the usual amount.

But my room has hard ceramic tile floor, a brick fireplace, a 17' ceiling with skylights.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
FWIW, I auditioned some dynaudio products, including the Contour 60, and they were fantastic. The Contour 60 was the product that convinced me I 'needed' better speakers. However, the dealer had them setup as the feature product in a treated room that he had been using for 30+ years.

However, in my area the prices for comparable Revel products were much better. The Revel speakers i audition also sounded nearly as good in much less ideal circumstances.

Entirely subjective, but that was my experience.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
FWIW, I auditioned some dynaudio products, including the Contour 60, and they were fantastic. The Contour 60 was the product that convinced me I 'needed' better speakers. However, the dealer had them setup as the feature product in a treated room that he had been using for 30+ years.

However, in my area the prices for comparable Revel products were much better. The Revel speakers i audition also sounded nearly as good in much less ideal circumstances.

Entirely subjective, but that was my experience.

Just look at the bad boy measuring rig they have now in their Jupiter room:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
im in the market for a upgrade to my Media room setup.

My Current setup is a Paradigm Monitor 9v7 and powered by a denon x3600 with a HSU VTF-15H MK2 Sub.

room is irregular shaped Media room with low ceilings.
MLP is ~12' with a 120" projector screen with speakers placed on sides of screen.

is the dynaudio contour worth a deeper dive? im worried thats it above my needs but open to suggestions.

im also looking at the JBL HDI 3800/4500 as a point of reference on my flexible budget..

With 105W I think your AVR is probably borderline to use with the Contour 30s. High passing with subs will help.

For relative real world comparison, I use my smaller Contour 20s with 400W dual mono (Devialet Expert).

On the other hand, if you view them as a speaker to "grow into" and eventually replace the AVR, that gives you an upgrade path.

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I heard the Contour 60s at an audio show a couple years ago. Pretty impressive sounding, completely subjective, of course. I keep going back and forth between Dynaudio/Focal/Revel/KEF as options I would upgrade to. There are some pretty nice prices on Contour 30 these day, both used and new.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I heard the Contour 60s at an audio show a couple years ago. Pretty impressive sounding, completely subjective, of course. I keep going back and forth between Dynaudio/Focal/Revel/KEF as options I would upgrade to. There are some pretty nice prices on Contour 30 these day, both used and new.

Those brands, plus TAD, are SOTA for passive direct radiator speakers, IMHO -- from real engineering companies that design and make their own drivers from scratch, as well as having professional studio monitors.

Top Bottom