• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio 18s vs sub 6

net-david

I use Roon to delay my speakers 2.5ms as that's the minimum delay indicated by Dynaudio when no subwoofer DSP setting is in use. Don't think that matters much at all anyway. Since last month I have downsized my system to one box, a NAD Master M33, that allows me to control the subwoofers crossover in BluOS and the overall sound via Dirac Live. I have absolutely no need to use subwoofer DSP. Still love 18S though as they go really low and they're fast, too.

The Purify Eigentakt power modules in the M33 are stupendously clean. With music paused and volumed cranked at maximum, there's absolutely no sound in the Heritage' tweeters. I have never seen an amp like this, a quiet beast that can pump 380W into 4 Ohms.
@sabloke If Roon is delaying your speakers 2.5ms, what is driving the 18S? If I’m understanding your system correctly, you stream Roon to your M33 driving your Dynaudio Heritage Specials (mine are set 800/2500). And then the M33’s subwoofer outs to your pair of 18S.

sabloke

That's correct, the subs are connected with RCA to the M33 pre outputs. Not sure Roon can indeed delay the speakers without affecting the subs but then again, 2.5ms is not that significant. I am waiting to learn more about M66, that can manage subwoofers in time domain, before deciding is an upgrade is worth it. While M66 has the same price as M33, I'd need to buy the M23 or another good power amp to make the system work. Active speakers to beat my 2446/2500 Heritage Specials are really expensive, but that's also an option to keep the system to a one box solution.

net-david

That's correct, the subs are connected with RCA to the M33 pre outputs. Not sure Roon can indeed delay the speakers without affecting the subs but then again, 2.5ms is not that significant. I am waiting to learn more about M66, that can manage subwoofers in time domain, before deciding is an upgrade is worth it. While M66 has the same price as M33, I'd need to buy the M23 or another good power amp to make the system work. Active speakers to beat my 2446/2500 Heritage Specials are really expensive, but that's also an option to keep the system to a one box solution.
Yeah, the delay you are adding to Roon is delaying everything coming out of your M33, so it is not doing anything to compensate for the DSP latency in the 18S. The 2.5ms is equal to about 34 inches. If you can, move your subs 34 inches closer to your listening position than your HS, but that will probably move them out of their optimum room position.

sabloke

Yeah, the delay you are adding to Roon is delaying everything coming out of your M33, so it is not doing anything to compensate for the DSP latency in the 18S. The 2.5ms is equal to about 34 inches. If you can, move your subs 34 inches closer to your listening position than your HS, but that will probably move them out of their optimum room position.
Sure about that? Roon seems to differentiate between left, right and LFE.

net-david

Sure about that? Roon seems to differentiate between left, right and LFE.
No, not certain, didn't see anything about it when I glanced at the M33 manual. It only shows selecting one, two or no subwoofers and the crossover frequency, never mentions any delay settings. Does it high pass the speaker outs?

sabloke

No, not certain, didn't see anything about it when I glanced at the M33 manual. It only shows selecting one, two or no subwoofers and the crossover frequency, never mentions any delay settings. Does it high pass the speaker outs?
I thought we were talking about Roon? M33 does high pass to speakers outs. In fact, it does way more than that since, you know, Dirac :)

net-david

I thought we were talking about Roon? M33 does high pass to speakers outs. In fact, it does way more than that since, you know, Dirac :)
Ah, you seem to be all set then. Enjoy your system.

Top Bottom