• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynamic Loudness and Headphones

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everybody,

As y'all know, Dynamic Loudness is about reproducing the Fletcher-Munson curves (or the more recent ISO 226:2003 curves that I'm not really convinced of as there may have been errors in the protocol - any thoughts BTW ?), so that when we change the Master Volume, the EQ varies accordingly.

In a speaker setup, this involves measuring the sound output at listening position with a dB-meter, and then calibrating your equipment accordingly.
For example you could measure sound output at 85 dB, then pick a pre-defined "85 dB" EQ setup, and you're good to go.
Some players like JRiver offer this kind of feature automatically (provided you still measure the sound output of course).

I was however wondering how we could achieve that in the case of headphones, since I don't know how to place a dB-meter in a pair of headphones to measure the sound output, lol.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• Fletcher-Munson.jpg
    Fletcher-Munson.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 83

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was however wondering how we could achieve that in the case of headphones, since I don't know how to place a dB-meter in a pair of headphones to measure the sound output, lol.

For this kind of purpose you can just sick your SPL meter right in the earcup and take a reading.

If you need the bass level to be accurate for another purpose just attach an old CD to the end of the SPL meter so you can make a seal with the pad.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hi everybody,

As y'all know, Dynamic Loudness is about reproducing the Fletcher-Munson curves (or the more recent ISO 226:2003 curves that I'm not really convinced of as there may have been errors in the protocol - any thoughts BTW ?), so that when we change the Master Volume, the EQ varies accordingly.

In a speaker setup, this involves measuring the sound output at listening position with a dB-meter, and then calibrating your equipment accordingly.
For example you could measure sound output at 85 dB, then pick a pre-defined "85 dB" EQ setup, and you're good to go.
Some players like JRiver offer this kind of feature automatically (provided you still measure the sound output of course).

Any ideas ?

Ideally, you need to flatten the bass or get it close to flat as well as setting your DSP's 'relative' internal reference level -- let's say... to 80dB SPL with a -20dBFS narrow band pink noise signal (500-2kHz). Many headphones have a hump in the midbass or bass area. The bass boost, as you gradually lower the volume level, will sound over-excessive and boomy, otherwise. If you're already close to a flat baseline, just make minor adjustments to taste. As far as I'm aware, there is no 'perfect' Loudness/Dynamic equalization signal processor. The 'ISO 226:2003 curves' is based on an average -- it's not meant to represent your own hearing sensitivity to loudness at different frequencies at different SPLs 100% accurately.

Top Bottom