• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynamic Compression and Harmonic Distortion

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So you got your new DAC and Hypex Amps with 0.00001% distortion numbers...

What about that new tune you were anxious to hear in all its glory?

Here's a short article that shows some distortion measurements when a sine is compressed.

From: http://theproaudiofiles.com/how-compression-affects-harmonic-distortion/

Spectrum of 80Hz sine, after dynamic compression.

Figure-6.png

---

I suppose this is a 'simple case'. Are there advanced compressors that mitigate these effects?

Last edited:

Ethan Winer

Industry Insider
Volume compression can increase distortion, even in theory (not from using toobs and transformers etc.), but it depends on the attack and release times. If those are too short the volume changes start to follow each individual cycle. That article seems to confirm this, so it's not new information. :D

I made an 80 Hz sine wave and compressed it 10 dB (software compressor) with an attack time of 1 ms and a release time of 200 ms. You can see that the added harmonics are much softer than when the times are faster.

--Ethan

Attachments

• 80 Hz FFT.gif
    80 Hz FFT.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 371
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Far be it from me to be smart/dumb enough to come up with something new. But I'm definitely not educated enough to not know something old.

Thank you for the input.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Keep up the technical posts, it all helps here, be thirsty my friend.....

Top Bottom