• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaco PAS..Comments please...

raindance

Major Contributor
Good choices.
I'm the OP....Figured since this older thread came back up, I would let you all know what preamp I decided on......Schiit Freya......So far it is a wonderful preamp.....No complaints whatsoever......Also just picked up a pair of KEF LS50 Meta.....So along with the VTA ST120 tube amplifier.....The listening is fine over here!
I've been curious about the VTA amps. The Schiit Freya seems decently designed also. The VTA is most likely what "sets the tone" for how it all sounds.

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
Bob Latino's VTA Amps are fantastic. A few weeks ago Bob announced his retirement. His partner, Roy, is taking over. Amazing what those two have done for the kit building community. Top quality components, easy to assemble and fantastic support. You can read all about my VTA journey and watch a few "Start Up" videos which you might find interesting. www.rvbprecision.com

The Schiit stuff has been great. Not sure you can come close to the quality of construction and sound for anywhere near the price.....unless you are willing to build a kit. American company and American made is a good deal also.

harikamboji

@RoyB - you upgraded from the Saga to the Freya. Just wondering how you find the difference. Did you have the saga-S or the saga+? Are you happy with the tube mode of the Freya+? How does the (non-tube) active mode of the freya compare to that of the Saga? Which mode do you find that you use the most?
Thanks so much!

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
I had the Saga (Not +) with a few different tubes. Sounded great. But I wanted more gain and the Saga was a simple passive preamp. I bought it used from a fellow that upgraded to Freya.......I did the same thing. Found a Freya (Not +) used for $600 and bought it. With 12dB better gain it really woke up my Magnapan MMG speakers.....Since it can be used three ways ....active, passive and with a tube buffer in passive....It's fun to see what the difference does to the sound....To be honest, I can't hear a difference (KEF LS50 Metas now)....But I also have a Yamaha CX800 preamp, A Zero Zone Tube Conrad Johnson clone, and a NAD C320BEE and a Sound Artist SA200ia integrated both with with preamp output......I've tried them all with the Tubes4HiFi ST120 and none compare to the Schiit Freya.......Interesting, I have a little "TwoTube" Nubsound $100 preamp that sounds as good as the Schiit! This little preamp blows me away every time I play with it. For the money, Schiit stuff is really fantastic!

Attachments

• 71-QvzKkKNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71-QvzKkKNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 64

harikamboji

Thank you! Just to clarify, when you say you can't hear a difference, are you referring to the tube mode versus the active mode?
And I'm a bit confused- you seem to say that the $100 Nubsound preamp sounds as good as the Freya but then say Schiit stuff is fantastic for the money.

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
I'm referring to all three modes......Other than huge increase in volume when active mode is employed, my 70 year old ears can't discern a difference. I actually used an SPL meter to set gains while comparing.....

Yes, a bit confusing that a $100 preamp compare favorably to a $900 preamp.......My point is, when comparing full feature, audiophile preamps, the Schiit is still a great value.

Top Bottom