• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DXOMARK launches new Smartphone Audio Benchmark

Tks

Major Contributor

These folks have been around a bit testing smartphones and their various aspects, now they're taking smartphones for a whirl in the realm of audio. My only perplexity is why not test the internal components, as well as audio-out, instead of the built-in speakers which could all be tossed into a river for all I'm concerned for (I only care for clear a decently loud ring-tone, though even that's not really an issue anymore).

Progress nonetheless, but if anyone needs a chuckle do watch the video all the way through and see the metrics they test for, like "Attack" and such.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This seems highly unscientific and quite redundant really. I'd rather they test the sound coming out of the headphone jack, but with the current hate for headphone jacks in this industry it seems less and less likely. The speakers on phones are at best not total garbage, so all this measuring and scoring is a waste of time.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DXO is the maker of, in my opinion, the best raw photo software - Photolab, integrating raw photo processing and lens correction by measuring many many lenses: Like room correction for fixed rooms. They went through difficult times 1-2 years ago and split the software side from the measuring side. DXOmark now does the measurements for the lens correction and the benchmarking - and seem to have added audio to the mix. Could become a second Dirac, wait and see.

Top Bottom