• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DX3 Pro vs Atom + DAC

06S2k07Si

Ok...excellent! I appreciate the heads up. I don't have long ones. I'll order up a set of long T handles. Thanks Brother!

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My friend came to me and we had a similar decision to make. Went with the d50 and the atom. He was absolutely flabbergasted by the sound quality and to be honest so was I.

It sounds good even compared to my rme adi 2 dac and benchmark hpa4. Not as good, but good enough considering the price difference. To even be compared to either of those devices is amazing.

06S2k07Si

Just got the DX3 Pro (supposedly) and in the box was an MX3! ...going back to Amazon! Sheesh!

06S2k07Si

Oh...no problem! I laughed too! Now I'm rethinking again! D50/Atom instead?

I'm still wanting a DX7s for my speakers...but for iems maybe still another DX3 Pro or D50/Atom...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you for the link...I just ordered a DX3 Pro...I guess we'll see just what I get this time! :)
I guess it's someone returned mx3 to amazon as dx3pro then amazon didn't check it and sold it to you.

mtnbrit

I ordered a Khadas tone board from Amazon. When I received it, there was a raspberry pi 3 in the box. It had come from Amazon Warehouse and had a Checked sticker on it, LOL. Likely they "checked" to see if there was a board in the packet, not which board. Nice scam.

michaelye168

Just wonder dx3 + atom for HD800s any better than dx3 only? I guess very little improvement or not audible at all.

Currently having DX3, D50, and UD-301, thinking to get atom or wait THX AAA 789 for balanced output to HD800s.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just wonder dx3 + atom for HD800s any better than dx3 only? I guess very little improvement or not audible at all.
If you are satisfied with the loudness there is no difference. Probably no improvement in normal listening level with hd800s even in measurements.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Currently having DX3, D50, and UD-301, thinking to get atom or wait THX AAA 789 for balanced output to HD800s.
Thx 789 is done for 2019 as far as I know.
Just did some measurements. Dx3pro is capable of handling 8ohm load at 125mW with same level of distortion as atom.
Higher impedance only has less distortion except that the max loudness is limited by the supply rail.
Another limitation of dx3pro is noise, because it's digital volume control the noise level is always the same. This is only an issue for sensitive iems.

HD800S is sensitive enough to be loud enough and insensitive enough to be not able to hear any noise.

Enjoy your dx3pro.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I'm new to the audio game. I have an AKG 712 and currently a small fiio Q1 mark ii amp.

The Q1 is great for powering from my macbook and apple products but my gaming PC it fails to gain adequete volumes for games and movies/films. I have a PS4 Pro, Switch and a PC. Mostly the Pc will be used with the headphones but it would be nice to be able to manage multiple inputs.

What are my options in terms of DAC/Amps?

I've gathered I can either get an Atom (which just seems to get universal praise) + a Topping D30.

OR

I can get a DX3 Pro.

I do like the idea of having a remote to control the volume as I sit on a couch but its only 2-3 metres away so not a huge deal. I'm slightly worried about all the DX3 Pro build issue threads but I'm guessing any tech has its fair share of issues in the early days.

Which way do you think is best to go to make my life a bit easier when coming to connecting multiple devices etc.?

I also had the same decision to make (also coming from the FiiO Q1 Mk II! :D) and I went with the DX3 Pro. Its a great device, and drives my HD 650 with ease (I'm usually at around - 22 dB on high gain). The remote is very useful as I use multiple inputs and sit on a chair in front of the TV. Plus it has bluetooth which is cool for a quick listening session for streaming from my phone.

gvl

Major Contributor
So I just picked a DX3 Pro for my ASR collection and did a quick comparison against Khadas + Atom, IMO the latter combo is a tiny bit cleaner and leaner sounding than the DX3 Pro by itself or even DX3 Pro into Atom using my HD6XXs. Nothng scientific about it, so feel free to ignore.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So I just picked a DX3 Pro for my ASR collection and did a quick comparison against Khadas + Atom, IMO the latter combo is a tiny bit cleaner and leaner sounding than the DX3 Pro by itself or even DX3 Pro into Atom using my HD6XXs. Nothng scientific about it, so feel free to ignore.
Maybe try dx3pro + atom?

Top Bottom