• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dx3 pro+ Samsung Optical Out

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm trying to upgrade my sound system coming from my samsung tv. Has anyone used the dx3pro+ with a samsung TV through an optical connection? Should it work?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to upgrade my sound system coming from my samsung tv. Has anyone used the dx3pro+ with a samsung TV through an optical connection? Should it work?
Havent used but it should - just make sure you tell the TV to output PCM / 2ch via optical.

MCH

Major Contributor
I have used samsung tv with a D30pro via optical, works perfectly (btw, i have the d30pro for sale here ;))

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Is the optical in similar on all these devices?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the optical in similar on all these devices?
You mean the physical plug? Yes- the middle socket on these pics. Toslink.

blustream_dig11au_square01.jpg

Takes a cable like this:

71vq-VtaeVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
You mean the physical plug? Yes- the middle socket on these pics. Toslink.

blustream_dig11au_square01.jpg

Takes a cable like this:

71vq-VtaeVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I mean is the same chip used to decode toslink on these devices. Not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean is the same chip used to decode toslink the same. Not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly

Ah- sorry I was being dumb.

pattox

Yes, I am using a DX3+ pro with an older Samsung (circa 2016) TV and Yamaha powered monitor speakers.
Generally speaking the sound quality is terrific. In fact I initially used a Sanskrit 10th (first version) which was ok. But when I tried the TV it with my older Dx3 Pro (1st gen) the improvement was massive. So I bought a DX3+ pro to replace it and the improvement has persisted.
The only problem I have noticed is momentary "glitches" on music via the TV, not apparent on normal tv audio, and not enough to be a problem.

I have read about the optical out/tv problems with certain DACs. From what I understand the basic underlying cause is due to high noise and jitter from the TV optical output. Again from what I understand there are DACs that try to correct this (synchronous) and momentarily cause a pause while they "resync". From what I remember they are mostly the Topping ones. I think there are others such as some SMSL models which allow you to "relax" the error correction so that the resync doesn't occur . And apparently there still are others-the asynchronous ones-which simply pass on the signal without trying to correct any jitter or noise.
If my understanding is correct it would be great if someone with more expertise than I have could summarise the problem and options for practical solutions.

Finally I think Samsung and LG have the major share of the TV market but are there other TV models that don't have this substandard optical output problem?

Top Bottom