• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dx3 pro+, L30ii and C200

GUGGE53

Hi Everyone,

In the past 2 months I have had some really bad experiences on the German Amazon.
I bought a DX3 Pro+ for my bedroom for approx 200€. I unpacked the shipping package and saw that the Topping box was dented and not sealed, neither with plastic foil nor sticker. There were some scratches on the underside of unit. Without even trying it, I contacted Amazon and was immediately refunded, without having to return unit. So no issues there.
I then tested unit and it was partly non-functional. For example, the control knob was unusable. Trying to change volume (I was not pushing and turning, just turning) , it instead changed input. It would then turn off and turn back on in firmware upgrade mode. Required numerous restarts to enter "normal" mode. I can only sporadically enter setup mode. I tried to flash firmware 1.25, but interface still shows 1.0. I thought I could live with this as I was fully refunded. I did suspect, though, that I had been sent a return from a previous customer.

A couple weeks later, I bought a Topping L30ii amp, also from Amazon. This also arrived in an unsealed box. On to Amazon again who immediately issued a refund. Unit works, so all good there, except I think this was also a used and returned unit.

The icing on the cake is when I bought, again from Amazon, an SMSL C200 DAC. I had decided that I could not live with the spurious failings of the DX3. The delivery arrived and I did not pay attention as it was passed to me by courier with a number of other packages and I was busy at the time. Later that evening I saw that the package was simply the SMSL product package on which the shipping label was slapped. Worse, the box was actually open and suspiciously light. With trepidation, I opened the box and of course! No C200, just the manual, power cable and USB cable. I now I actually felt insulted. Back to Amazon and again got and immediate refund.

You could say I'm lucky and got two units for free, one of which kinda works, but not really. What's going on here? Anybody with similar experience?

I have been in contact with Topping in China who established that the unit is out of warranty. They said I could sent it to China for repair. That would set me back at least 100€, maybe more for shipping and parts plus possibly another 50 or so for import charges when they send it back. Thing is, it seems such a waste to just throw it away and buy a new one. I have also, through Amazon, contacted their supplier as the unit, from my point of view, is still under warranty. No response as of writing this.

Sorry for long story. Just thought it was interesting and perplexing enough to be of interest.

Cherrio

jae

Major Contributor
Were the items "fulfilled by Amazon"? It is probably just bad luck on your part. I'd simply try ordering again if you were intent on the items, Topping makes good products. If ordering directly from them or some trusted seller directly from China, probably less of chance you wouldn't have an issue with an opened product but might might incur more tax/duties.

OP
G

GUGGE53

Were the items "fulfilled by Amazon"? It is probably just bad luck on your part. I'd simply try ordering again if you were intent on the items, Topping makes good products. If ordering directly from them or some trusted seller directly from China, probably less of chance you wouldn't have an issue with an opened product but might might incur more tax/duties.
Sold by Amazon.

mmmdc

What's going on here? Anybody with similar experience?
Amazon is a bad company that does not care.

Tbh., the days when Amazon had real advantages over other shops are over. Nowadays stuff like free shipping is pretty normal, other shops have lower prices and better customer service.

Not to mention that Amazon is full of counterfeits, crap dropshipped from china, etc.

Buy somewhere else. thomann.de is a super reputable shop with very good prices, excellent customer service, etc.

hifi-passion.de and audiophonics.fr are also good, although thomann is really top tier.

Also generally speaking, I think its better to find good, dedicated shops rather than buying from Amazon if you can. Amazon is not worth supporting.

kona

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I was also looking to buy some Topping products from Amazon.de, and I was about to ask you from which seller you bought yours. From what I see all Topping products are sold by three stores (and fulfilled by Amazon):
1. Shenzen Audio DE store
2. Zococity
3. Hifi College
And all 3 seem to have good reviews.

I then saw your reply that yours was sold by Amazon, but it seems they no longer sell anything from Topping. Maybe because of people having similar experiences to you.

scal

I have a DX3 Pro+, ordered on Amazon (Germany) along a P3As unit and have had no issues at all from any of the devices. All boxes closed, devices perhaps not 'sealed' as such but with the screen protector and all in plastic bags, no scratches, etc., as expected from new a product. I guess all depends the actual shop within Amazon you order from.

OP
G

GUGGE53

Actually, I was a bit hasty in my response.
The DX3 Pro+ seller was Shenzen Audio DE store.
The L30ii was Hifi College.
The C200 was Amazon and it's no longer available although numerous units were on stock just a few days ago.
So, in the end I had problems from different sources. I never really paid too much attention as amazon.de are always very good at refunding. It's a bad experience nonetheless.

Top Bottom