• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DX3 Pro issues

Bliman

I think this is where buyers need to apply a bit of judgement and maybe take a step back to see things from a wider perspective. Some products measure superbly and have great functionality, but what sales channels are they sold through, what warranty support do they offer, how confident are you that they'll stand behind their product? These things may be unimportant if you're getting a terrific product at a bargain basement price and you're happy enough to treat it as a throwaway purchase and if it goes wrong then c'est la vie. If you aren't willing to treat it like that then paying more may be a lot more sensible and buying something with a bit more assurance that you have a good chance of being well looked after if you do need support. Especially when there are companies like JDS Labs that offer good products at good prices who have an excellent reputation for customer support.
When it comes to quality there is some element of getting what you pay for. In audio the link between quality and price is tenuous and many high priced products are very shoddily built, but if you do want excellent build quality and solid manufacturing QA processes and after sales then there generally is a cost to it. Those things may not effect performance so if something is cheap it may well be worth taking a punt. Hence why I say that buyers need to apply judgement.
Very nicely stated.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Yes, but the king enjoys stirring up Schiit.

Can You Feel the Taste ?

Lip Schit.png

Old Listener

Why not. Doesn't people buy things because it is for example reviewed in a magazine or other websites?And Amir is not just a random guy on a forum for me.

Have you done any work to evaluate Topping DACs or any other DACs? If not, why don't you show a little respect for the work that other people have done. Not just Amir but a number of other people have posted results of their tests. Other people have posted about their experience with products. This has value for me; if it doesn't have value for you, look elsewhere.

It is up to you to decide what to buy. What you read on this forum should be input to your decision but it is your responsibility to decide. It is up to you to understand what you read here.

noobie

Clear to everybody. How many people have to complain? To me it looks like a lot of people, certainly if you know it is quite a niche product. Something must be wrong. Don't you agree? If it is in the margin of error why don't you see the same in threads of other popular products? And just so you know I think you do a great great job with your measurements, but maybe it should be more clear you can recommend a product for how it measures and you cannot say anything about it's build quality. But I love your measurements and I hope you take this post the right way.
“Clear to everybody “

I have this unit and have not had any problems. So should it be clear to me - assuming I am part of “everybody” - that there is a problem with this product?

I need no convincing that you, and others, have issues. But, that does not mean everyone does. You are emphatically stressing your personal experience, and discounting the experience of others, to the point of ***sounding*** very self-centered. Yes, others also have problems, but only paying attention to them and not to the experiences of those who don’t falls under the category of “confirmation bias”.

Sorry if that comes across harshly, it was not intended to. But yours is not the only experience that matters. Please keep this in mind. Otherwise your very relevant input will come across as whining.

Bliman

Have you done any work to evaluate Topping DACs or any other DACs? If not, why don't you show a little respect for the work that other people have done. Not just Amir but a number of other people have posted results of their tests. Other people have posted about their experience with products. This has value for me; if it doesn't have value for you, look elsewhere.

It is up to you to decide what to buy. What you read on this forum should be input to your decision but it is your responsibility to decide. It is up to you to understand what you read here.
I really really don't understand your reply. I have said many times now that I have zero technical knowledge. Tell me where I haven't shown any respect for Amir? It is really the opposite I have so much respect for him that I consider his opinion very highly. I don't know how you can consider it otherwise. I also have great respect of those that have this technical knowledge and also those that stated there problem. So I really know why you are attacking me. What is it that I said wrong?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Topping seem to be having a noticeable failure rate with this , maybe someone who is having issues can send amir theirs so we can investigate the problem.

What's been toppings response? Let's get away from the personal stuff and concentrate on more constructive avenues.

noobie

Clear to whom? I have owned my DX3Pro longer than anyone. It runs everyday 100% reliably for hours on end. I have no idea what percentage of people have the shutdown problem. This is one of Topping's most popular products. I suspect thousands have been sold. A few people complaining about it here doesn't give me a metric to put dire warnings against the product. Go and look at every 5 star product on Amazon and you will quickly find people who say the product did not work at all, was junk, died shortly after receipt, etc.

This is an open forum and you all can publicize the issue as much as you like. Amazon doesn't take on the job of summarizing reliability issues and putting it in their product listing. I can't do that either.

When I can verify something is there like the original clicking problem, I do update the review. Here is that warning still there:

View attachment 20914

I always advise that people buy from reliable sources like Amazon so that they can return things easily. If you go price shopping and buying things cheaper direct from random China sources, then you are buying into some risk.

Finally, if one of you has a DX3 Pro that is shutting down regularly and live in US, please contact me and I will purchase it from you to see if i can replicate the problem.
1548625703536.gif

Bliman

“Clear to everybody “

I have this unit and have not had any problems. So should it be clear to me - assuming I am part of “everybody” - that there is a problem with this product?

I need no convincing that you, and others, have issues. But, that does not mean everyone does. You are emphatically stressing your personal experience, and discounting the experience of others, to the point of ***sounding*** very self-centered. Yes, others also have problems, but only paying attention to them and not to the experiences of those who don’t falls under the category of “confirmation bias”.

Sorry if that comes across harshly, it was not intended to. But yours is not the only experience that matters. Please keep this in mind. Otherwise your very relevant input will come across as whining.
I don't have the product. But look at it this way. I had an xbox360. It was well known that there was a problem with it. Did I had a problem with mine? No. Was there still a problem? Yes. So to me it is not personal. And I do not in a shape or form lay any blame at all the wonderful people here that put in there time to do all these measurements or share there findings. I am greatly thankful that they did.

Bliman

Topping seem to be having a noticeable failure rate with this , maybe someone who is having issues can send amir theirs so we can investigate the problem.

What's been toppings response? Let's get away from the personal stuff and concentrate on more constructive avenues.
Yeah I never intended to make it personal. I really like this site. I love that everybody has so much knowledge and passion. So I want to apologize if I came over as an asshole.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah I never intended to make it personal. I really like this site. I love that everybody has so much knowledge and passion. So I want to apologize if I came over as an asshole.
Your alright mate don't worry.

noobie

If you try to write a review on Amazon about the DX3 Pro ...... you get this message:

Sorry, we are unable to accept reviews for this product. This product has limitations on submitting reviews. There can be a number of reasons for this, including unusual reviewing activity.

In other words, go pound sand if you want to review it there.

My DX3 Pro has been running OK so far as a pure DAC with USB for about a month (and since the headphone section went kaput). It is very transparent and quiet as a mouse. Still using the supplied wall-wart.

I can also confirm as I just tried as a test to post a review... I don't think I have ever seen that on Amazon before... That is weird in all sorts of ways, and fertile ground for all sorts of speculation.

noobie

I don't have the product. But look at it this way. I had an xbox360. It was well known that there was a problem with it. Did I had a problem with mine? No. Was there still a problem? Yes. So to me it is not personal. And I do not in a shape or form lay any blame at all the wonderful people here that put in there time to do all these measurements or share there findings. I am greatly thankful that they did.
I absolutely agree with you. Posting experiences is valuable for all potential buyers as it helps with the informed buying decision process!

My only issue with your post was the "Everybody", which was categorically incorrect. But, otherwise, I see your point, and completely agree with it.

Peace.

Bliman

I absolutely agree with you. Posting experiences is valuable for all potential buyers as it helps with the informed buying decision process!

My only issue with your post was the "Everybody", which was categorically incorrect. But, otherwise, I see your point, and completely agree with it.

Peace.
Peace. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Power adapter works fine. Multimeter shows a very steady 15.07V reading

Try another power supply before you condemn the unit. You could have failing electros in the SMPS and there's a ton of ripple causing issues.

Bliman

I know I have said it a couple of times.
But I was very interested in the dx3 so I mailed them and I didn't got an answer.
I mailed them three times and never got an answer from them.
I mailed them here "http://en.tpdz.net/feedback.html" maybe that's not a good place to mail?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom