• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch reviewer Hans Beekhuyzen stated that an DIY Hypex based nc400 amp can't sound better than an much more expensive Class D amp

jae

Major Contributor
Didn't Hans just give a glowing review of the new NAD M33? I don't even think he believes his own nonsense.

firedog

I have had both March Audio/Mola no difference in Sq whatsoever.
Keith
Sure, as I said, I doubt at those levels of performance the small differences in measured performance are audible. Archimago promotes the concept of "good enough". Once you have that, you don't need to spend more, unless you are interested in features that aren't SQ related.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not about the context, but the "show":
I like to watch him reading his text on a screen (or similar) behind his camera; really not natural

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not about the context, but the "show":
I like to watch him reading his text on a screen (or similar) behind his camera; really not natural

Not sure what to make of that.. but everybody their own I guess :facepalm:

Nobody noticed that he thinks the CI Audio C-100S sounds better than a NC400. As far as I could tell it's a UcD based product, so should have a generational disadvantage from the get go. They however claim to only use the UcD modulator and do the rest of the design themselves... I somehow doubt that it will objectively measure better than a DIY NC400.

The absolute worst things is that he just poses some statements, makes some claims, let's some questions float, without ever needing to back up anything.. and then get's away with it.. it's almost like politics :oops:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Oh come on!

What's the point wasting the salesperson and the customer's time extolling the virtues of an amplifier he either cannot afford or simply won't spend the money on?

People generally have budgets in mind with everything- it's a salesperson's JOB to fit the products to the budget (and then some..). By all means show them something aspirational, but there's zero point showing someone with $1K to spend on an amplifier a pair of $25K monoblocks. Unless you just want them to leave and never come back.

The brick and mortars are all going away but in the US until about a decade ago, there used to be an audio store in every city run like car dealerships with equally sleazy sales staff. None of the equipment had prices on them or they had full retail price that no one would pay. You were supposed to strike a deal or you got taken.

Like car dealerships, when naive people came in to buy a "stereo system", this was a typical salesman question so he could put together a whole system for just above that price which would be sold at half that price if you were savvy.

I spent my graduate school years buying equipment from a store like this but with a friendly salesperson that would look up the dealer cost and tell us the minimum markup the manager would accept and we would bid slightly above that and he would take it to the manager to get approval. Eventually, the manager wised up and the poor sales guy got fired.

This is still the norm in a few developing countries.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The brick and mortars are all going away but in the US until about a decade ago, there used to be an audio store in every city run like car dealerships with equally sleazy sales staff. None of the equipment had prices on them or they had full retail price that no one would pay. You were supposed to strike a deal or you got taken.

Like car dealerships, when naive people came in to buy a "stereo system", this was a typical salesman question so he could put together a whole system for just above that price which would be sold at half that price if you were savvy.

I spent my graduate school years buying equipment from a store like this but with a friendly salesperson that would look up the dealer cost and tell us the minimum markup the manager would accept and we would bid slightly above that and he would take it to the manager to get approval. Eventually, the manager wised up and the poor sales guy got fired.

This is still the norm in a few developing countries.
Not sure that this ex-sales guy appreciates your comment .... :rolleyes: he may be reading you soon ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These subjectivists reviews are often good for the feature description. Ideally long term they do away with their sound quality comments and just stick to that. On that front they do things I can't and won't do. For that reason I tend to watch them from time to time.

yellowshark

But that's how the high end fraternity works. The better looking and more expensive the product, the better it is to many buyers. I long ago lost the income able to justify the lower reaches of this train of thought and now welcome neat simple boxes at fair and sensible prices able to easily out-perform much hyped-up 'stuff' at mad selling prices, bought often in the UK by (usually) elderly men with bursting pension or investment pots!

Two Russian oligarchs meet in the streets of Moskow and they notice that they're both wearing the same tie. "Hey, where did you get yours and how much did you pay?" one of them asks. "Um, I paid 500 US$ and I bought in it that shop over there". "You stupid fool! I bought mine in the shop around the corner and I paid 1000 US$"

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What people don’t realise, that engineers and marketers know, is that you can put things in shiny boxes and sell them for 5-10 times as much.

So what do you do-
Well you can sell the things for people to put into boring boxes for their own use.
And you can sell your thing to manufacturers that build the shiny boxes.
Or you can start your own separated company and build your own shiny box.

Why does it surprise you that Hans says- if it cost more than it must be better?

Bob101

Didn't Hans just give a glowing review of the new NAD M33? I don't even think he believes his own nonsense.
Oh, he believes himself above all. The M33 isn't exactly cheap too. But that's besides the point. He is openly against even the idea of blind testing. That and his aversion of measurements should tell you all you need to know about the man. If Hans doesn't know what AND the price of what he's listening to, he likely has nothing to say.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In June this year i ask Hans in a private FB messages what his opinion was regarding class D amp's. As an example i sent him the test of Amirm review Hypex nc400

Hans in Holland is well known as a audio reviewer opinion guy with quit a track record so I thought his opinion counts.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-hypex-nc400-diy-amp.5907/&fbclid=IwAR17para_Rv4emSHVtOxoYykBKjp_EPYkGL0uihRuSzGAYIv-4NMRihPPRE

Basically he never came back on my question. Guess what he placed 2 October on his you tube channel an response regarding Class D amp's starting at minute 6:10.

I was supprised that he stated that if your goal is Serious sound quality you have to spent Serious money. This Hypex NC400 DIY amp can't be better than more expensive Class D amp's like a Mola Mola Kaluga class D power amp costing around 6.000,- euro. Now i don't want to end up if more expensive is better than less expensive but what amazed me he probably even not bother to read Amirm measurement (he stated in minute 8:50 that measurment in general don't say everything that explaind it probably) that i sent him or do a simple measurment him self or a blind a-b test between an expensive an a considerably less expensive Class D amp.
Like almost all youtube reviewers, he is a fraud. He has an oscilloscope in the background for the aesthetic show of force in his videos, but yet, he openly admits that the oscilloscope is absolutely useless to measure anything in any of his review.

It feel like people who has a AP or an Klippel NFS, is like having a huge dong hidden in their pants, ready for showtime, anytime.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
IMO Hans knows a bit about electronics but is a but leaning towards the subjective side and believes what he is saying is the truth.

It should be noted that an oscilloscope is a useful tool when repairing, modifying and even when measuring audio gear.
For determining distortion in the smaller numbers they might not be (at least the low resolution ones) useful.
An engineer wants it on their desk.

What makes me smile is the Nakamichi T-100 below the scope. Fine for cassette decks but that's it. Any decent sound card is much more useful these days.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it’s a duty of care to cut the bs for newbs
Indeed, cutting through the BS and Audio Woo is essential. One of the most useful, if not the most useful service Amir and the rest of the contributors at ASR provide is education, not only for newbies, but continuing education in audio for all of us.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What makes me smile is the Nakamichi T-100 below the scope. Fine for cassette decks but that's it. Any decent sound card is much more useful these days.

He probably does RTR or cassette deck quick tests and the Nak is great for that. He has an Audio Precision Sys-2522 in that stack...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it's fun for all the family.

Seriously though he can't be bashed enough. I'm fed up with people coming to me and saying 'But Hans says...'

It takes ages to explain to them why it's bollocks. People spend serous money based on his nonsense and they might as well have gone out into the street and stuffed it down the drain.

Top Bottom