• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch8C on ‘Gearslutz’

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm excited about these speakers. I have a hunch that I will like them better than the Kiis. I also prefer their looks.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are really excellent loudspeakers, having both the Kiis and 8Cs has been really interesting, although they appear to measure quite similarly in-room they sound quite different.
Since we have managed to have both speakers permanently here every potential listener has preferred the 8Cs including Alex from Swift mastering.
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are really excellent loudspeakers, having both the Kiis and 8Cs has been really interesting, although they appear to measure quite similarly in-room they sound quite different.
Since we have managed to have both speakers permanently here every potential listener has preferred the 8Cs including Alex from Swift mastering.
Keith

That's the intriguing thing, isn't it... that speakers that measure similarly can sound or "feel" different. I don't think frequency response is the only ting that matters in a loudspeaker. If you add horizontal and vertical dispersion, you add another important factor. Adding non-linar distortion gets you even closer. Dynamics and power handling is one more thing. Beyond that? I suspect that drivers can "couple to the air" in different ways. Haven't seen any research on this though. I suspect that a larger midrange driver can couple the sound waves to the air in a more natural manner than a smaller driver (as in the Kiis) can do. Or perhaps the "spraying" of the Kiis does something to the sound, making it sound less crisp? I don't know.

Anyway, if there indeed are differences between the Kiis and the 8cs, then obviously it can be measured in some way. But it won't necessarily show up on a frequency plot.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I intend to measure both speakers again, but this time perhaps an averaged set of measurements á la John Atkinson, subjectively the 8Cs have a ‘fuller’ sound, voices for example have more body or chest content, bass is much punchier , I also hope to get some Geithain 944s or 901s here , they have a cardioid response for the lower bass only.
Keith

fas42

Major Contributor
Very interesting comments on Gearslutz - the 8C are that much closer to being fully competent, in standard form.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith, how do the custom stands look? Any pics?

I guess it should be possible to find generic stands which could fit as well. When I look at them, I think stands like these (made for Harbeth) would complement them aesthetically:

harbeth-stands-5.jpg

Except that there's no need for these stupid spiky things at the bottom. The right answer is to have no spikes, and then some anti-vibration damping between the speakers and the stands.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just had some stands made up from a UK company ‘Custom Design’ the loudspeakers acoustic centre is midway between the woofer and tweeter, an open stand would be fine, the 8Cs have a ‘slow’ fan although I haven’t been able to get it to activate as yet, the speakers have their own rubber ‘runner’ feet so they are slightly raised off the ground .
We will almost certainly include a pair of Custom stands at our cost made to the specification the customer requires,

Attachments

• 976DE019-9BEE-4D3E-A8DA-95B3833272DB.jpeg
    976DE019-9BEE-4D3E-A8DA-95B3833272DB.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 189

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just had some stands made up from a UK company ‘Custom Design’ the loudspeakers acoustic centre is midway between the woofer and tweeter, an open stand would be fine, the 8Cs have a ‘slow’ fan although I haven’t been able to get it to activate as yet, the speakers have their own rubber ‘runner’ feet so they are slightly raised off the ground .
We will almost certainly include a pair of Custom stands at our cost made to the specification the customer requires,

Looking good!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are ok, they do come with spikes but I replace them with sorbathane feet, easier to move around !
Keith

Top Bottom