• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch Vs Persona 9H

Impossible

Graphs are somewhat helpful, but best to have a listen. Add in a receiver, amp and room and there are far too many variables and variances.
Anyone with a good set of speakers should also be adding in room eq to their system. Which should makes things flat if that's what you want. But if it is flat I dought anyone will enjoy it. Most people prefer a Harmon curve.

The 9h's are exceptional. They go all the way down to 19hz +- 3db, and have excellent mids and highs.

I demoed many speakers before I settled on the 9h's and even then I tried them with a Lyngdorf mp60 for 2 months before settling on a trinnov altitude.

Also I assure you with graphs if you want my 9h's can be set to completely flat. No anomalys.

steve59

Major Contributor
I read the OP and thought it was asking if a speaker like the D&D 8c make one like the persona 9h redundant? The audiophile world isn't all that interested in dsp active systems yet. The persona line has a high ceiling tho'this isn't the forum to attempt to convince anyone. I haven't heard the 8c yet but, have to think it'll be spl limited because of the size difference. I have the 7f and will concede the persona mid range requires attention to placement and partnering components to appreciate. I've seen grown men lose their self control during a listening demo of the 7f once properly set up, tearing up, laughing uncontrollably, begging for credit, trade ins, etc. There's nothing scientific about a hifi demo that leaves grown men in tears. Not saying any other speaker demo couldn't do the same.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I certainly felt a vague sense of unease when we had the small pair here.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They weren’t very good, rising treble, there is a measurement somewhere in one of the U.K mags.
Keith

Impossible

This is getting silly. It's like saying a BMW M2 series isn't that good which must mean the BMW M5 is the same. No the 9h's are exceptional. The smallest of the persona's are very different from the 9h's.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is getting silly. It's like saying a BMW M2 series isn't that good which must mean the BMW M5 is the same. No the 9h's are exceptional. The smallest of the persona's are very different from the 9h's.

You're using them with room correction though. Without room correction to correct the speakers' natural sound, they're hard to recommend.

Impossible

But why would you use any good speakers without room correction? All speakers sound different in different environments, this is a fact. It's up to you if you want to ignore the facts.

Can you give a symantic definition for "natural sound"? If not your your just making stuff up.

Ever wondered why headphones sound much better then floor standing speakers.... Bingo, no room to correct.

Last edited:

Impossible

Best way to buy is to listen to speakers (make sure they are run in, very important) and then buy the ones that pull on the heart strings the most. Also try to listen in an environment similar to your own but room eq should able to help a lot if you can't.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I’m with you, and the beautiful thing is that the market these speakers are intended for also understands.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m with you, and the beautiful thing is that the market these speakers are intended for also understands.
I'd hope so but I'm not sure. Clearly with their new voicing they intend for people to hear that sound, which means no equalization. We shouldn't have to "fix" their product for them.

With that said if the price is right I buy a product based on its end potential in my situation. Amir's measurements of the Prestige bookshelf reveal a speaker I would not prefer however the equalization results are very impressive, making it a curiosity.

Impossible

You have completely misunderstood. Your not fixing the speakers your fixing your room.

If you want perfect as some would call it natural sound, you would need to listen in a completely sound isolated room, but if your listening it means your in the room which means you have effected the sound.

Dont forget the processor/receiver and amp which also effect the sound.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Persona is not a neutral sounding speaker. The measurements are nowhere near flat. Not for me.

Impossible

what room where the measurements taken, what amp, what receiver? What equipment was used to take the measurements, what were the settings?...... See my point.

Again someone give me a symantic definition for natural sounding. Else this stuff you tell yourself is to fill gaps and holes in your argument.

steve59

Major Contributor
Its a mixed bag for me. On one hand I generally like speakers in the store demo but don’t get similar results at home. The persona, measly little 7f I had the luxury of listening to over a year thru multiple components and I got familiar with them good and not so good. They aren’t the only speakers I chose for sound quality over measurements, but that doesn’t mean good measuring speakers can’t sound good it’s just that they usually sound lifeless because the dynamics that get my feet tapping get lost in the complex xover( total guess). The D&D being active dsp should manage to measure good and maintain dynamics, the 9h (and 7f) has a high sensitivity so average powered amps still generate some excitement. My money would be the D&D because of value

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have completely misunderstood. Your not fixing the speakers your fixing your room.
That's the marketing. But when you run "room EQ" the removal of room effects is only true for the region below the transition from modal to stochastic. Above that, speakers will be bent to the will of the target curve. So a bright speaker will be brought under control. The only way around that is to limit the correction. Some will do that but many won't.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about Room EQ. Just EQ. So perhaps you're the one who misunderstood.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what room where the measurements taken, what amp, what receiver? What equipment was used to take the measurements, what were the settings?...... See my point.

Again someone give me a symantic definition for natural sounding. Else this stuff you tell yourself is to fill gaps and holes in your argument.
This site is about raw, anechoic measurements where all speakers are put on the same playing field. Bringing in other variables just unnecessarily confuses things.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your not fixing the speakers your fixing your room.
In the lower frequencies we are listening more the room response (plus loudspeakers of course) while in the upper frequencies we mainly interpret tonality from the direct sounds, thus the loudspeakers, so there doing EQ is mainly a loudspeaker correction.

Edit: @Chromatischism was 2 minutes faster then me.

Top Bottom