• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch office & factory tour and listening session (with many pics)

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the story and pictures.

Did they mention de 8m model, the non-cardioid version of the 8c?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Great write-up. A refreshing change from the ones in the audiophile magazines that focus on the beauty of the surrounding countryside and what they ate for lunch/ dinner.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

@Jose Hidalgo and did you buy a pair of speakers?
That's the idea, yes. Currently one thing is preventing us from that: we'd like to move abroad in a year or so and build a house. We'd like to wait at least until we have moved. No need to wait for the house, but we'd like at least to be on location, even if it's a temporary place. I wouldn't trust any moving company with our precious pair of 8c's ! So yeah, it may take a bit of time, but we'll get there.

Did they mention de 8m model, the non-cardioid version of the 8c?
I didn't ask any questions about it, so no. To me D&D is synonym to cardioid. For non-cardioid there are already lots of manufacturers.
They mentioned future cardioid models, but I'm not allowed to talk about them, sorry. ;)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great job, @Jose Hidalgo !:cool:

Any particular reason why Erin's review is not mentioned, while being the most extensive measurements about the 8C so far?
Dutch & Dutch 8c CEA2034 (SPINORAMA).png

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

No particular reason. I added 3 reviews to the OP because I happened to have the links, that's all. But you are of course welcome to add whatever you want. Thank you! :)

Recluse-Animator

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I’d be slightly concerned about that Noctua fan, I wonder if it’s user replaceable? I have a bunch of servers - some home made - and in my experience fans are the primary failure points, followed by hard drives. Right now I have a server with two Noctua fans in need of replacement, one of them has gotten very noisy and the other died completely. After about 2.5 years.
I have Noctua fans that have been on almost 24/7 over 10 years without an issue.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plywood and solid wood are used together all the time, in this case it’s just not the way you should do it.

From the pics and what I’ve read about them, the sides are solid wood panels.

If they hold together over the long haul (these are pretty recent products) good for them I guess. It’s just not something most cabinet makers would do. The shrinkage coefficient for White Oak is 0.00365. In my area, I’d expect a moisture content change of around 4% (6% m.c. in the winter, 10% m.c. in the summer).
The solid wood sides look to be around 14” wide, so the seasonal dimensional change will be approximately 0.00365 x 4 x 14” = 0.204” (13/64”).

I'm not a millworker but I design a good amount of millwork and I agree. Solid wood and plywood can be joined using fasteners in various floating kind of configurations but I wouldn't rabbet solid wood and put plywood braces in it. This is why speakers are normally plywood.

If it weren't for the rounded corners, quartersawn WO veneer over the ply would be the best way to construct this.

The solid wood looks fantastic and is relatively simple to fabricate. If it works, it works, but it is definitely not a conventional construction.

Will it fail? The wood will move. Even if it's meticulously dried and finished, moisture will find its way into the wood, and then out again. If the rabbets have the right tolerances and the right adhesive it might be fine, who knows.

hege

Forum Donor
Does Genelec use Pascals in all their speakers?
No, just the master series RAM-L amp (likely XL too).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I’d be slightly concerned about that Noctua fan, I wonder if it’s user replaceable? I have a bunch of servers - some home made - and in my experience fans are the primary failure points, followed by hard drives. Right now I have a server with two Noctua fans in need of replacement, one of them has gotten very noisy and the other died completely. After about 2.5 years.

Really? I have 5 Noctua fans in my PC that haven't missed a beat for 5 years (and they're the cheaper Redux models).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That business really was a upstart and now has a nice building with space to move. Very nice! :D

mcdn

Forum Donor
The beaglebone makes sense, but presumably there’s sigmaDSP or similar under it for the actual real time DSP?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a tour of Dutch & Dutch facilities.
VERY cool and fascinating post. Except I was left wondering about the beauty of the surrounding countryside and what you ate for lunch/ dinner. (;) to @BlackTalon). More seriously, we also had the Apple HomePod measuring and adapting to its environment. I wonder if we'll see some maker taking up the idea but offloaded to a smartphone, i.e. not needing as much computing power and cost inside the speaker itself, and development costs distributable across entire current and future product lines.

In https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system they were $12,500 in 2019, not awful considering all the stuff inside. Current price anyone?

Top Bottom