• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it's around 10000 USD? Guess pricing may depend on country a bit.

CORRECTION: it was 10000 eur. Which means it's more in USD

Last edited:
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it's around 10000 USD? Guess pricing may depend on country a bit.

CORRECTION: it was 10000 eur. Which means it's more in USD

I bought mine in the UK, as I only just moved back to the States. I think they are US$12K here.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I bought mine in the UK, as I only just moved back to the States. I think they are US$12K here.
From the US distributor: "The MSRP in the US is $12,450."

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@oivavoi, have you taken delivery of your 8Cs yet? I'm very curious how the wood finish on your pair looks and how it's holding up.

Also curious about your impressions of the sound, of course.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting. I wonder if it relates to the wood on the speakers or to a software glitch that I discovered over the weekend.

Dutch & Dutch, I would add, was fast to resolve the glitch.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It had to do with deligery on the (sub)woofers apparently. Will contact the Norwegian distributor and ask.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting. I wonder who makes the woofers. I also wonder if D&D will move away from the oak cabinetry.

Further, I wonder how software updates will be applied. If you look at the speakers on your LAN while they're turned on or in standby mode, you can see that they're running Debian.

They sound great, but they are a vastly more complex product than any other speakers on the market, except for the Kii Threes and the BeoLab 90s. That complexity gives you superior performance in an outwardly simple package, but it also creates more potential for bugs, etc.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
...you can see that they're running Debian.
Depending on the Gnu licence, etc. maybe they have to publish the software somewhere..? Isn't that the way some of this open source licensing stuff works?

If you developed and sold a DSP system based on ALSA, for example, would you have to publish your part of the software?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
They sound great, but they are a vastly more complex product than any other speakers on the market, except for the Kii Threes and the BeoLab 90s. That complexity gives you superior performance in an outwardly simple package, but it also creates more potential for bugs, etc.
Good point. After my review of the Kii Three, several people asked me if I was going to buy a pair (or five). I said that I am very tempted but that it is too great an investment for me to commit to a complex and proprietary device offered by a new and small company.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Depending on the Gnu licence, etc. maybe they have to publish the software somewhere..? Isn't that the way some of this open source licensing stuff works?
It gets complicated but as I understand it, if they identify it as being built on Debian, Debian does subscribe to the GNU license, meaning the have to offer the base code of the software publicly. But there are always loopholes, highly frowned upon in the open source community. ;)

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checking in to see if any other members have taken delivery of their 8Cs. I remain curious about others impressions.

I'm listening to mine now, and the sound with BACCH-dSP is addictive.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, still waiting... They had production delays, according to the Norwegian distributor. But they're supposed to arrive "soon"!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
New firmware is going to be released this Monday, O I Sincerely hope you enjoy the 8Cs, I believe you will!
Keith

Top Bottom