• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not understand the interest of this gas plant?

What is the amp on top of it for ?
+1
Strange for such "hi-end" exhibition to demonstrate against a mirror wall.
I like all the cable salad sticking out from everywhere. All this for a source, some preamp?+ a pair of active speakers...

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few questions that I hope an owner can respond to:

1) Do the 8Cs still need to be connected to ethernet in order to set up? If so, does that need to be where they will be used or just initially in order to connect them to wifi and then Bob’s your uncle?
2) Has the sub-out feature been incorporated as yet?
3) Can I used an RPi to stream room to these (presumably with an AES hat)?

Many thanks, folks!

I've used a raspberry pi4 connected to a Matrix X-SPDIF2 / AES3 to the speakers. I would think an AES3 hat would work as well.

Reactions: GDK
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few questions that I hope an owner can respond to:

1) Do the 8Cs still need to be connected to ethernet in order to set up? If so, does that need to be where they will be used or just initially in order to connect them to wifi and then Bob’s your uncle?
2) Has the sub-out feature been incorporated as yet?
3) Can I used an RPi to stream room to these (presumably with an AES hat)?

Many thanks, folks!
(1) Yes, they need to be connected to ethernet for setup, and no, while they do not have WiFi capability, the ethernet is really used only for initial setup (i.e., selecting which speaker is right, which is left, what the boundary distances are, setting the speakers master volume level, and PEQ settings, if any).

(2) No.

(3) Yes.

Reactions: GDK

jhsg

Hi everyone

I’m just about to get my 8c’s and really looking forward to them. I’m coming from a ps audio (DSD / BHK pre / BHK 250) rig with spendor 9.2 speakers. I’m looking for simplicity and good sound. Hope these deliver.

I’m thinking initially I’ll run analog from my BHK pre & DSD so I can switch between my streamer and home theatre setup. Hoping they eventually release a control box like the Kii control. That will make things easier!

doorofnight

Hi everyone

I’m just about to get my 8c’s and really looking forward to them. I’m coming from a ps audio (DSD / BHK pre / BHK 250) rig with spendor 9.2 speakers. I’m looking for simplicity and good sound. Hope these deliver.

I’m thinking initially I’ll run analog from my BHK pre & DSD so I can switch between my streamer and home theatre setup. Hoping they eventually release a control box like the Kii control. That will make things easier!

You certainly have something to look forward to! I came from the Dali Euphonia MS4 (not a bad (measuring) speaker) with 4 JL-E112 subs (stacked) and minidsp processing in an acoustic treated room. It delivered very good sound. But I was also looking for simplicity. I demoed the DD8's some years ago and finally took the decision to switch to the DD8's. It took some time to let go of the old sound and to get used to the openess and clearity of the DD8's. But now I'm hooked :)

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
D&D 8C and ATC SCM100A and Grimm LS1be compared.
2 top places of theirs was the 8C and the LS1be that costs X3.
Impressive

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I own both too, not sure I would agree, best bass here is D&D, especially if you use the inbuilt REW/EQ.
I would find it very hard/impossible to justify the cost of the LS1BEs over the 8Cs but if you prefer them that is of course fair enough.
Keith

Aaron Garrett

I own both too, not sure I would agree, best bass here is D&D, especially if you use the inbuilt REW/EQ.
I would find it very hard/impossible to justify the cost of the LS1BEs over the 8Cs but if you prefer them that is of course fair enough.
Keith

That's interesting and I would suggest anyone in the UK go to your shop to make the comparison with the music of their choice! To be clear I'm not talking about the quantity or depth of the bass. I'm talking about the stop-and-star-on-a-dime-from-zero-to-100 properties of the bass, in particular in symphonic music and piano. And symphonic music is generally where I hear the greatest differences.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Grimms have less bass output ( in my room at least) their target curve is more horizontal, set-up as Grimm recommend pulled away from the wall crossed at 45 degrees one metre in front of listening position.
Really apart from that it is just a question of presentation, how are yours set up?
Keith

Aaron Garrett

Same set up. Some corner damping. Very open room but not very big. Sounds far more subtle and articulate up and down as well. But to be clear I'm listening to the D & D's right now and they sound great.

Top Bottom