• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

murl

Lets hope they can. Even if they can't do it as is it should be relatively easy to build some "box" that serves as an endpoint with a digital output right?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
...it should be relatively easy to build some "box" that serves as an endpoint with a digital output right?

Raspberry pi plus Allo DigiOne plus spdif to aes/ebu cable and you are all set. There is even a Linux distribution that allows setup and configuration of a roon endpoint in say ten minutes. Really amazing stuff.

Edit: RoPieee (XL) is what you should look for. Supports all relevant audio hats for the pi and gets you up and running in no time

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the latency of the D & Ds look like in a home theater application. If, for example, I wanted to build a 4.1 with the D&Ds as front L/R and a regular passive speaker power with an amp (both fronts and backs receiving analog signal from either a Home theater preamp or a Octo 8 running Jriver as a surround decoder, would the DSP in the D & Ds cause them to lag the picture and the rears? Does anyone have any experiece or expertise on this question?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Is the D&D finally Roon certified ?
I won't buy it if it's not.

I actually was made an offer I probably cannot resit to buy a preowned pair of these. While roon readyness would be a nice to have, it is not a killer feature. I would in fact have to replace a repeater with a router that provides the necessary ethernet ports. The nenefits like volume control by the 8C would be limited as the volume control built into roo works really excellent.

I believe support for rew is much more important in real life, as roon can be added well below 200 USD.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What does the latency of the D & Ds look like in a home theater application. If, for example, I wanted to build a 4.1 with the D&Ds as front L/R and a regular passive speaker power with an amp (both fronts and backs receiving analog signal from either a Home theater preamp or a Octo 8 running Jriver as a surround decoder, would the DSP in the D & Ds cause them to lag the picture and the rears? Does anyone have any experiece or expertise on this question?
The 8Cs have a low latency mode, I use them for films in their ‘normal‘ mode and there isn’t an issue with lip sync.
Keith

frangle

Forum Donor
The Audiophonics AES HAT seems to be about £40, which is roughly the same cost as the Neutrik impedance transformer I mentioned earlier.

This is what I did to drive my 8c’s, with MoOde running on a Pi4b, no extra cooling needed (UPnP from NAS). I occasionally adjust the 8c volume for special listening (e.g. much louder) but generally I keep it fixed and just use the soft volume in MoOde near the top of its range.

It is seamless. Only issue was the box for the Pi + AES HAT is not quite tall enough.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kiis have variable latency, through their ‘control’.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

benje

Since this thread has kind of stagnated, I'd be curious to see if anyone has any reasons/experience with doing room correction through REW and then using something like Dirac on top? The newbie in me can't see why this would be beneficial, but always happy to learn!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this thread has kind of stagnated, I'd be curious to see if anyone has any reasons/experience with doing room correction through REW and then using something like Dirac on top? The newbie in me can't see why this would be beneficial, but always happy to learn!
Mitchco did a review in Audiophile Style (nee Computer Audio Review) in which he maintained that something like Dirac and/or aCCourate was unnecessary b/c of the already excellent time, phase and frequency response in-room from the D&Ds.

benje

Mitchco did a review in Audiophile Style (nee Computer Audio Review) in which he maintained that something like Dirac and/or aCCourate was unnecessary b/c of the already excellent time, phase and frequency response in-room from the D&Ds.

Thanks, that's kind of why I asked.. I am using a MiniDSP SHD Studio and actually prefer the sound without Dirac, so wasn't sure if I somehow skewed the measurement, but maybe it's because they just don't really need it (N.B. this is before measuring with REW)

Last edited:

frangle

Forum Donor
Thanks, that's kind of why I asked.. I am using a MiniDSP SHD Studio and actually prefer the sound without Dirac, so wasn't sure if I somehow skewed the measurement, but maybe it's because they just don't really need it (N.B. this is before measuring with REW)
I considered getting the SHD Studio as a player supporting AES3 but decided in the end to go the Pi + AES HAT route as:
1) It is a temporary solution waiting for the tidiest possible solution of streaming straight to the 8Cs
2) The key differentiator of the 8C is in-room performance (and further filter config can be done to cope with problem modes) so something like DIRAC will have little benefit (for most) while adding more processing in the chain
3) Cost is 10x
I briefly considered whether the volume control on the SHD may be a benefit, but concluded that it wasn't signifcant.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am certain the people from Dutch & Dutch are listening/reading.

Physical buttons cannot, yet be replaced for us poor human beings. It is a matter of ergonomics. a bit OT. I recently plunged in to Home Automation and have about 8 Hue Lamps... I am forever annoyed by my lack of physical buttons to just turn the DARN lamps on or off... Having to sleep with a smartphone/tablet, or having to yell at some device, become quickly ridiculous/frustrating/annoying. :mad::(:rolleyes::mad::mad:
Give us a button. It could only be that: A simple, sole, volume knob, remote controlled. Please.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the remote controlling of AV systems is so neglected by manufacturers , old and new. :mad:

Top Bottom