• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We used to import those Allnic amps, absolute shit.
Keith

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How do they compare to Genelec 8351/8361?

I can try a stab at it. I prefer the 8c for a stereo system and you can skip the subwoofer for most music.
‘if you want 5.1 or more then Genelec is providing a better integration.
Looking at 2.0, D&D did a great job and in most rooms I find then 8C better.
W371+8341 does a better job but the system is more expensive and much bigger.
With a 2.1 system Genelec start to match the D&D.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I guess only the 8361A comes close to the 8C without a sub, it's a hard choice but in any case I would choose the Genelec I guess because I prefer their proven reliability over the 8C(new company) and I like the aluminum cabinet more, just feels Rock solid, obviously I didn't have chance to audition them so I can't say anything about the sound.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What I do like more about the 8C is that you can update their firmware , Genelec should do something similar with their monitors.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive
Leave it to the audiophiles to create such a Rube Goldberg-esque contraption for a simple system. .. What a load of BS products!!!

From most reports, the 8C is one of those rare speaker systems, that would not need a sub in many situations/rooms. I would still like them (Dutech and Dutch) to provide this capability. They had in their line up, before the 8C, a cardioid subwoofer with 2 drivers: one 18" and the other a 15 inch ... Can't find it on their website but it was mentioned by Siegfried Linkwitz, on his website THERE... scroll down to Dutch and Dutch ... These guys know a bit more than people would think and have been around ...

The Genelec W371 subwoofer, IMHO verges on overpriced ... W371A is >$9000. for ONE subwoofer.. I suppose the GLM software make things easier , still .... > 18K for a pair of subs ...
Note to Self: I need to audition these 8C speakers ... I need to audition these speakers ... $12K sight unseen is not wise ...

Last edited:

Hephaestus

What I do like more about the 8C is that you can update their firmware , Genelec should do something similar with their monitors.

FYI you can update the firmware of every single SAM Genelec thru GLM. I have updated my 8341 & 8361 and it is smooth process.

I personally like both 8c and 8361A. Absolutely brilliant tools with slightly different strenghts.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Genelec W371 subwoofer, IMHO verges on overpriced ... W371A is >$9000. for ONE subwoofer.
I think you can safely say they're overpriced without offending even the hardest fanboy. Though I wouldn't use the word subwoofer for something that goes up to 500 Hz; I've already said it, but it's a solution comparable to the $85k Beolab 90 or $37K Kii BXT, so it's hard to call it overpriced. Only ME Geithain manages the feat of being completely cardioid (though it probably doesn't matter under the Schroeder frequency) while costing less; too bad it doesn't make use of DSP.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI you can update the firmware of every single SAM Genelec thru GLM. I have updated my 8341 & 8361 and it is smooth process.

I personally like both 8c and 8361A. Absolutely brilliant tools with slightly different strenghts.
Would really love to hear your thoughts on that comparison. What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What a load of BS products!!!

But...

The preamp (I presume it is a preamp) has a Centered Volume Knob.

And whatever it is, it even sports VU METERS!

GDK

Forum Donor
I have a few questions that I hope an owner can respond to:

1) Do the 8Cs still need to be connected to ethernet in order to set up? If so, does that need to be where they will be used or just initially in order to connect them to wifi and then Bob’s your uncle?
2) Has the sub-out feature been incorporated as yet?
3) Can I used an RPi to stream room to these (presumably with an AES hat)?

Many thanks, folks!

Hephaestus

Would really love to hear your thoughts on that comparison. What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

These are just my opinions ...

8c:
+Lower bass extension
+Directivity control down to 100Hz
+Phase is more linear
+Truly full range in practice
+Roon ready (in progress?)

8361A
+Higher SPL capacity
+Smoother vertical directivity
+Possibility use them in the near field
+”More precise stereo image”,
might be related to coaxial design and narrower directivity
+System expandibility from 2.0 to massive immersive systems thanks to GLM
+Long warranty and known reliability

I really dont have anything negative to say about either what comes to ”sound quality”

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Do you feel you are sacrificing a lot of bass on the 8361A, extention and quantity and quality vs the D&D 8c?
Do you feel like you could live with the 8361A without a sub ?

Hephaestus

Do you feel you are sacrificing a lot of bass on the 8361A, extention and quantity and quality vs the D&D 8c?
Do you feel like you could live with the 8361A without a sub ?

Currently I don´t miss a sub.
Subjectively 8c beats 8361A in low bass easily but looses in upper bass department. You really have to try them by yourself and see what is best for you.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks.
It's just impossible to audition the 8c in my country and the lack of bass and spl worries me about the Genelecs(plus I don't have a budget for a sub) so it's a bit complicated lol.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Thanks.
It's just impossible to audition the 8c in my country and the lack of bass and spl worries me about the Genelecs(plus I don't have a budget for a sub) so it's a bit complicated lol.

which country are you from?

maybe you could find a user via a forum in your country and ask him to listen, this is what I did when D&D was not yet imported in France.

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
Thanks.

Even if you gave some actual clues about what "lacking bass" means to you (required SPL/hz or something), it's still probably too personal to try discussing on a forum.

You could ask me if one needs a sub with 1237A and I would say yes, even though it goes straight to <30hz in my basement at 105dBZ easily (haven't even tried the max yet). I can play something like Roddy Ricch - The Box, and having my 18" BMS's on makes a difference between great sound and ass-massaging-fun. Mostly because 1237A doesn't play down to 25hz. Even if it did, it wouldn't do clean 100-105dB+ which is pretty much my requirement. I know D&D wouldn't come even close.. but probably closer than 8361A which has a steep highpass around 30hz (like my 1237A).

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have a few questions that I hope an owner can respond to:

1) Do the 8Cs still need to be connected to ethernet in order to set up? If so, does that need to be where they will be used or just initially in order to connect them to wifi and then Bob’s your uncle?
2) Has the sub-out feature been incorporated as yet?
3) Can I used an RPi to stream room to these (presumably with an AES hat)?

Many thanks, folks!
Yes to set the speakers parameters both have to be connected, not necessarily are the same time though.
Once set you can disconnect, sub out is a full range signal.
Yes you can AEs output would be ideal.
Keith

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom