• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

frangle

Forum Donor
Is anyone using the digital input (AES) and getting clicks / pops when starting and stopping playback and seeking?

This seems to be a well known issue for many DACs where the input stream is stopped (rather than continuing at zero value). There is also a lot of discussion around this happening when switching bit rates and formats (PCM/DSD).

I consistently get a small "click" on starting playback and about 5 seconds after stopping / pausing. This is without switching bit rates / formats etc and is at a fixed output level (doesn't vary with input level). If I set up a playlist, there is no click between tracks.

I'm on the latest D&D firmware (1.4.57) and playing using MPD fixed at 24bits / 48kHz.

If this is the DAC switch on/off issue, it is a bug in the DAC in the speaker, though in theory the easiest solution might be to find a player that keeps the output stream alive.

Any thoughts?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use an AES3 splitter going from a minidsp SHD Studio to the AES3 input on both 8c's and I have never had any issue with a clicking.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case using Dirac in the SHD instead of REW gave me a better result as far as how it sounds to me. I followed Dutch and Dutch recommended approach on their website. The REW results were good and it only added a few filters but for some reason Dirac sounds better perhaps because Dirac is idiot proof. I don't use them for movies and was thinking of adding subwoofers but according to Dirac in my room they go from 22hz to 23khz now not sure I'll bother though I'm sure subs would add more. SPL in the bass.

frangle

Forum Donor
I use an AES3 splitter going from a minidsp SHD Studio to the AES3 input on both 8c's and I have never had any issue with a clicking.
Why a splitter? AES daisy-chains through the speakers.

doorofnight

How do you people connect the DD8c's to a source with SPDIF coax? Currently I use 2 x analog out to XLR into the speakers.. But I think this can be done better by using a SPDIF coax out on my preamp.

OR what do you use as a pre-amp/streamer?

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a raspberry pi4 as a roon bridge connected to a Matrix X-SPDIF2. It takes USB in and Has AES3 Digital out. To use SPDIF out you would need an impedance transformer to change the 75 Ohm to 110 Ohm.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

doorofnight

Great. I didn't know that. And to be sure.. such a RCA coax cable works with a (digital) RCA coaxial SPDIF output? I know absolutely nothing about cables. As long as the RCA is coaxial it will work?

And the Converter works in both directions? I read: Converts 110 Ohm AES/EBU to 0.5V 75 Ohm S/PDIF Levels, but does it also convert 75 to 110 Ohm?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great. I didn't know that. And to be sure.. such a RCA coax cable works with a (digital) RCA coaxial SPDIF output? I know absolutely nothing about cables. As long as the RCA is coaxial it will work?

And the Converter works in both directions? I read: Converts 110 Ohm AES/EBU to 0.5V 75 Ohm S/PDIF Levels, but does it also convert 75 to 110 Ohm?

Yes it works both ways.

doorofnight

I have connected my DD8c to a SPDIF coax XLR output using a neutrik convertor and the AES3 protocol.

In the first 15 minutes the left channel faltered. Then this problem dissapeared. I listened to some songs. Then I had a short break without music.. After this I pressed play for a new song, but no sound. I restarted my amp and the sound was back again. Then the right LS went silent. Restart. Then everything was OK and then in the middle of a song the speakers fell silent. And this happened again in the next hour. I am using relatively long XLR cables (10 meters en 7 meters). Is it possible that these errors occure due to long XLR cables, or is something else wrong?

And most important question: Am I not slowly killing my preamp or speakers because of this fawlty connection?

Last edited:
Top Bottom