• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

murl

Get a mic and measure the room response. EQ from there.

I have the UMIK and used REW to correct from 20-500hz. Used a harmon curve as the house curve that someone else designed. Maybe I am not doing it right?

murl

This is my attempted correction. Looks like I didn't have the channels correctly matched. I am new to DSP so feel free to point out the obvious. I did use the parametric EQ in lanspeaker.com rather than designing a convolution filter for Roon.

Attachments

• 8c attempted correction.png
    8c attempted correction.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 151

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess that you've done this in the new room too?

Another thought, was the previous front wall more substantial than the new. That could do it.

But actually, you were just getting bass reinforcement from sitting close to the back wall.

murl

Here are a couple of photos of the room. The garage door looking things are blinds with large windows behind them.

murl

Sorry I just realized I cut the scale off.

Attachments

• 8c attempted correction.png
    8c attempted correction.png
    185 KB · Views: 134

murl

Not sure how to correct that big dip between 40-60 hz on the right channel. I bought Mitch's book just haven't read it yet. On the agenda for mid February.

Emlin

Not sure how to correct that big dip between 40-60 hz on the right channel. I bought Mitch's book just haven't read it yet. On the agenda for mid February.

You can't, but you could drop the corresponding peak on the left channel and things might sound better.

murl

In order to avoid having a flat curve I would need to apply EQ to the entire curve so that the HF tapers off a bit compared to the LF? For example if you wanted to try something like Floyd Toole suggests?

Emlin

In order to avoid having a flat curve I would need to apply EQ to the entire curve so that the HF tapers off a bit compared to the LF? For example if you wanted to try something like Floyd Toole suggests?

Yes, 10dB down from 20Hz to 20kHz.

murl

I assume someone around here has created this house curve?

Emlin

No-one created it. It was derived from experiment as being what most people perceive as "flat".

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This is my attempted correction. Looks like I didn't have the channels correctly matched. I am new to DSP so feel free to point out the obvious. I did use the parametric EQ in lanspeaker.com rather than designing a convolution filter for Roon.
Unusual measurements, usually there are some room mode derived peaks that coincide .
Keith

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @murl I reviewed the D&D 8c's in a similar room setup like yours. The top pair of traces is spending a bit of time with the onboard Active Room Matching and PEQ's by taking sweeps and making small adjustments. I should have probably used REW's RTA to make the process easier...

D&D 8c top onboard PEQ bottom basic room eq 9ft equilateral triangle at LP.jpg

You should be able to achieve similar. Note I am using REW's default window of 500ms and 1/12 octave smoothing.

The bottom pair of traces is using some basic room eq with default settings. I would probably relax the top end more, but gives you an idea of what is possible. While the bottom set of traces sound smoother, one can do a pretty good job with D&D's onboard ARM and PEQ's.

Good luck!

murl

No-one created it. It was derived from experiment as being what most people perceive as "flat".

Sorry should have been more clear. Is there a file floating around that can be loaded into REW for this as the target curve?

murl

Hi @murl I reviewed the D&D 8c's in a similar room setup like yours. The top pair of traces is spending a bit of time with the onboard Active Room Matching and PEQ's by taking sweeps and making small adjustments. I should have probably used REW's RTA to make the process easier...

View attachment 47670

You should be able to achieve similar. Note I am using REW's default window of 500ms and 1/12 octave smoothing.

The bottom pair of traces is using some basic room eq with default settings. I would probably relax the top end more, but gives you an idea of what is possible. While the bottom set of traces sound smoother, one can do a pretty good job with D&D's onboard ARM and PEQ's.

Good luck!

Do you think this is fixable with DSP? If you move back against the wall behind the couch there is a ton of bass. The spouse isn't crazy about adding additional subwoofers but I am not very happy with the current performance. I am probably going to use your services in the future Mitch as soon as my wife finishes moving things around in the living room and I get the new cables to fix the 8cs.

mitchco

Audio Company
Send me your REW .mdat file when ready. I can export the REW impulse responses and import into DSP and run a basic correction and chart the sim for you to look at. Then you can decide.

Cheers!

Top Bottom