• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

andrew

Re 8c firmware update: My speakers show, in the firmware section, the current version "1.3.12" and the "unknown" where I'd expect to to see the new version. Is this expected behaviour? And what does it mean?

tyleroz

I am also on 1.3.12 and with "unknown". Pretty frustrating with the long wait for Roon update and also the other accessories (speaker stands, "kii control")...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Re 8c firmware update: My speakers show, in the firmware section, the current version "1.3.12" and the "unknown" where I'd expect to to see the new version. Is this expected behaviour? And what does it mean?
BEWARE, I looked up that code on the MIForce website and it relates to this =
tenor.gif

LOL, Just Kidding.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sure would like a pair of 2c's for a much lower price...

murl

For those of you running your 8cs from a minidsp shd studio I have a question about calibrating Dirac live. When I am doing volume calibration and I press play on the left channel I get no sound. When I press play on the right channel I get sound from both speakers. In lanspeaker I have the left and right channels set appropriately and the input is AES. Also have the resistor plugged into the end speaker. Any ideas?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have just heard from a client who is successfully running his 8Cs as a ROON endpoint , I am extremely hopeful that D&D have licked the issue they had.
More to follow,
Keith

murl

Interesting, I just took a look at lanspeaker.com and now my 8cs automatic update is "disabled" and you can't "enable" it on any browser. It doesn't change if I click "enable."

Attachments

• 8c disabled.png
    8c disabled.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 91

tyleroz

Interesting, I just took a look at lanspeaker.com and now my 8cs automatic update is "disabled" and you can't "enable" it on any browser. It doesn't change if I click "enable."
I just found I got the same behaviour as well. Do we need to do manual update from now on and how will D&D let us know?

8c is a great speaker but these days D&D’s communication has been poor. No transparency about the software updates and product (accessories) roadmap at all.

Moreover, I asked about the AES settings back in October (minidsp shd got 2 output and so I was asking whether 2 “resistors” are needed as I was interested at buying it) and still receive no reply...

Hope someone from them is still reading this thread (Martijn?) and addressing the customer support.

murl

I just found I got the same behaviour as well. Do we need to do manual update from now on and how will D&D let us know?

8c is a great speaker but these days D&D’s communication has been poor. No transparency about the software updates and product (accessories) roadmap at all.

Moreover, I asked about the AES settings back in October (minidsp shd got 2 output and so I was asking whether 2 “resistors” are needed as I was interested at buying it) and still receive no reply...

Hope someone from them is still reading this thread (Martijn?) and addressing the customer support.

I bought a minidsp shd studio and can't get DIRAC to work yet. Huge pain.

murl

I did get an email response from Martijn a couple of weeks ago saying Roon is very close.

youngho

Thanks, useful information.
But it doesn't explain the 150Hz distortion peak from what I can read.

Right, sorry, see post #129. "Now on to distortion. The 8c is a relatively compact full-range loudspeaker that offers low distortion at normal and somewhat elevated listening levels. At high levels distortion can become audible on some program material. This is the price we choose to pay for a cardioid radiation pattern in a speaker this size. However, 96 dB at one meter at a single frequency from a single speaker is very loud. In practice, in rooms with some reflections a pair of 8c’s can be played quite loudly and they do actually sound clean at quite high levels. But if you’re into very loud music, they certainly have their limits."

The speaker was also measured using "free-standing" settings and away from any boundaries, but it was designed to be used close to the wall behind the speaker, which should boost the bass output from the "boundary-coupled bass drivers" that still have some output above the crossover frequency of 100 Hz (hence the droop below 200 Hz in the listening window curve with woofers turned off).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, sorry, see post #129. "Now on to distortion. The 8c is a relatively compact full-range loudspeaker that offers low distortion at normal and somewhat elevated listening levels. At high levels distortion can become audible on some program material. This is the price we choose to pay for a cardioid radiation pattern in a speaker this size. However, 96 dB at one meter at a single frequency from a single speaker is very loud. In practice, in rooms with some reflections a pair of 8c’s can be played quite loudly and they do actually sound clean at quite high levels. But if you’re into very loud music, they certainly have their limits."

The speaker was also measured using "free-standing" settings and away from any boundaries, but it was designed to be used close to the wall behind the speaker, which should boost the bass output from the "boundary-coupled bass drivers" that still have some output above the crossover frequency of 100 Hz (hence the droop below 200 Hz in the listening window curve with woofers turned off).
Ok, so I understand that disto at 120 Hz is much lower are lower volumes. Indeed it doesn't look like a party speaker.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Right, sorry, see post #129. "Now on to distortion
. However, 96 dB at one meter at a single frequency from a single speaker is very loud."

FYI. Chart A: @ 90dB, 50Hz - 10kHz (measured @ 2m) not very loud to all especially for music with dynamic range..

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI. Chart A: @ 90dB, 50Hz - 10kHz (measured @ 2m) not very loud to alll especially for music with dynamic range..

That is a bit problematic actually. ATC drivers can deliver much, much more.

Top Bottom