• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

andrew

Might be just as well off running in 4.x sans a center channel. From with I hear the 8C's are distinctive enough in FR that matching anything close will be every difficult.

I have and that is what has driven me to insist on having three identical speakers for L/C/R.

Thanks. Agreed, identical speakers are the best answer but this isn't an option for me right now. I was hoping, then, that perhaps speakers with similar characteristics (i.e., flat amplitude and phase response) would be suitable but don't know of suitable candidates. Is it correct, though, that matching is less critical for the surround speakers (for movies)?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw that you are considering to do a freq respons measuring. I use mathaudio room eq ( freeware) in Foobar2000 for my set with great results. Curious what your experience will be.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is it correct, though, that matching is less critical for the surround speakers (for movies)?
Yes, I believe so. Less likely to notice any change in timber between them.

Martijn Mensink

Industry Insider
Has anyone tried a single ended (RCA) input (using an adapter) to the 8c? The manual has a recommendation for balanced input but I’m interested in using a reasonably priced AV Pre Pro that just has RCA line level outputs. Thanks in advance

Yes, I have :) . It works fine in a home environment. In theory a balanced connection is better (better s/n and less chance of picking up noise along the way), but in my view it's only really a requirement in 'dirtier' studio's. Please check the Rane website for how to best interface RCA with XLR: https://www.rane.com/note110.html

Has there been any movement on the features / design of the control box? Will it, for example, include analogue input(s) or all digital?

It will have both analog and digital inputs.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@soundArgument i asked D&D about the reliance customers have on their web site for controlling the speakers received this..,

Hi Thomas, we agree. That is why the app is also available directly from the 8c's. Browse to http://8c-123 (replace with your serial number) to visit the local version, without external, online dependencies. We are working on a new version of the app btw, which will also be available as native app.

So looks like they have solved that?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@soundArgument i asked D&D about the reliance customers have on their web site for controlling the speakers received this..,

Hi Thomas, we agree. That is why the app is also available directly from the 8c's. Browse to http://8c-123 (replace with your serial number) to visit the local version, without external, online dependencies. We are working on a new version of the app btw, which will also be available as native app.

Well, damn, that seems to work. So much for my complaint! Thanks for asking them!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, damn, that seems to work. So much for my complaint! Thanks for asking them!
You gave me faulty info and I went after them looking like a twat after all things considered ,,, you owe me a beer ha ha.

Maybe we are square now... nope I want a pint.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You gave me faulty info and I went after them looking like a twat after all things considered ,,, you owe me a beer ha ha.

Maybe we are square now... nope I want a pint.

Fair enough. This does raise another quibble, which is the quality of D&D's documentation about these firmware updates. Even a basic change log would help whiners like me.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Fair enough. This does raise another quibble, which is the quality of D&D's documentation about these firmware updates. Even a basic change log would help whiners like me.
I’m getting at my inside man ( their Facebook page ) .. hold station .

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That is good to know, not needing anything external for full functionality is a good idea.

andrew

Yup works for me which is great. Fingers crossed that Roon happens before long.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anyone have new firmware 8C roll out tonight? Both of my 8Cs unexpectedly restarted while I was listening to music just now, and I think it was because of a firmware update...

andrew

Did anyone have new firmware 8C roll out tonight? Both of my 8Cs unexpectedly restarted while I was listening to music just now, and I think it was because of a firmware update...

I don't believe that I got an update (on the basis that the speakers still aren't Roon enabled and the version is still listed as 1.3.1). What version is listed in the web-page? And are you able to use Roon?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I was on 1.3.1 before but am now on 1.3.12. Sadly, I do not have Roon and thus cannot test the streaming function.

There is a new setting for buffer limit and an option to make firmware updates manual or automatic.

No subwoofer output controls yet, unless I have missed something.

andrew

Ok, I was on 1.3.1 before but am now on 1.3.12. Sadly, I do not have Roon and thus cannot test the streaming function.

There is a new setting for buffer limit and an option to make firmware updates manual or automatic.

No subwoofer output controls yet, unless I have missed something.

Strange that I've not seen 1.3.12 being installed. I tend to keep the speakers on 24x7 and wonder if I need to turn off / on to initiate some form of search for the upgrade. Any ideas?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange that I've not seen 1.3.12 being installed. I tend to keep the speakers on 24x7 and wonder if I need to turn off / on to initiate some form of search for the upgrade. Any ideas?

I do not keep mine on 24/7. Mine rebooted perhaps 45 minutes after I turned them on for listening.

Maybe check the firmware update field in the menu, and see if something has downloaded and is waiting to install.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not keep mine on 24/7. Mine rebooted perhaps 45 minutes after I turned them on for listening.
It's a first world problem, but the forced update when you are using a product is really annoying, unless it's an optional setting.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a first world problem, but the forced update when you are using a product is really annoying, unless it's an optional setting.

Agreed. There may have been an option in the menu that I hadn't noticed previously.

The update was especially annoying because it happened while I was blasting Led Zeppelin in a contest with a neighbor playing house music at a party. After the update, the 8Cs prevailed over the miscreants' system, and the house music was turned off.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The update was especially annoying because it happened while I was blasting Led Zeppelin in a contest with a neighbor playing house music at a party. After the update, the 8Cs prevailed over the miscreants' system, and the house music was turned off.
Shudder, I'm an not suited for living anywhere with an adjoining wall, I hate others people noise, and they hate mine.

Top Bottom