• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

andrew

For many people an AV-processor may be the best solution with a pair of 8c's. We are currently working on a more purist solution that keeps the signal in the digital domain all the way up to the DACs in the 8c's. The preferred way to connect between this control box and the 8c's would be either AES or ethernet. With the latter way of connecting, the control box doesn't even need to be placed close to the 8c's themselves, it just has to be on the same local network. We're yet to decide on the precise design spec.

Has there been any movement on the features / design of the control box? Will it, for example, include analogue input(s) or all digital?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Had a listen to these recently ( thanks Jon) , they deliver a clean open sound that’s free of obvious colouration and by all accounts can cope with the demands of modern music genres,, so good speakers unlike 95% of audiophile speakers that imo are broken lol.

Can’t comment on scale as the setup had them very close together but I have no concerns about timber and they seemed to be very even top to bottom wrt the frequency range.

If you have the money I can’t think of a better speaker , I can’t say they make all other speakers redundant and folks will have diffrent buying priorities but these are definitely worth looking into . They deliver a sound i consider ‘correct’ to my ears , hopefully this is born out in their measured performance else I will look silly lol

Cheers and thanks again to @soundArgument for this opportunity, unfortunately Jon when you move out of the city and have a good size basement to play with il probably invite myself round(again). If you want advice on how to cope with that ask @amirm lol

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In conversation with one of the designer I found out he's not against using multi-subs with the 8C ... I would like to hear such a combo ... The 8C grows large in my future. I need to audition more speakers however before making any decision.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cheers and thanks again to @soundArgument for this opportunity, unfortunately Jon when you move out of the city and have a good size basement to play with il probably invite myself round(again). If you want advice on how to cope with that ask @amirm lol
@soundArgument did you check the silverware and your wife's jewelry yet? :facepalm:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Just thought it was a visual treat...

That not a visual treat. Any car subwoofer/woofer can do that. Just feed the speaker a very low frequency and watch it move- whoopee.

This is a visual treat:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@soundArgument did you check the silverware and your wife's jewelry yet? :facepalm:
Don’t even joke about it, I went drinking today missed the opera narrowly miss pulling someone else’s Mrs then ended up having 24 dumplings at some Russian mobile truck eatery.

It’s all in a days work for me , ASR international man of mystery.

Anyway Iv got a date with these dumplings with dill and sour cream so y’all can ....

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a listen to these recently ( thanks Jon) , they deliver a clean open sound that’s free of obvious colouration and by all accounts can cope with the demands of modern music genres,, so good speakers unlike 95% of audiophile speakers that imo are broken lol.

Can’t comment on scale as the setup had them very close together but I have no concerns about timber and they seemed to be very even top to bottom wrt the frequency range.

If you have the money I can’t think of a better speaker , I can’t say they make all other speakers redundant and folks will have diffrent buying priorities but these are definitely worth looking into . They deliver a sound i consider ‘correct’ to my ears , hopefully this is born out in their measured performance else I will look silly lol

My pleasure

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don’t even joke about it, I went drinking today missed the opera narrowly miss pulling someone else’s Mrs then ended up having 24 dumplings at some Russian mobile truck eatery.

It’s all in a days work for me , ASR international man of mystery.

Anyway Iv got a date with these dumplings with dill and sour cream so y’all can ....
Ah yea, I'm kind of noticing that in this post. :p

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You're welcome back at any time.

Contrary to Sal's insinuations, Thomas is not a thief and was a very gracious guest.

I cannot vouch for his sobriety, though.

Sorry the room isn't bigger. We'll get a larger one soon enough. When I listen in the current room, I think it's remarkable how well the speakers work in such an audio-unfriendly environment.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You're welcome back at any time.

Contrary to Sal's insinuations, Thomas is not a thief and was a very gracious guest.

I cannot vouch for his sobriety, though.

Sorry the room isn't bigger. We'll get a larger one soon enough. When I listen in the current room, I think it's remarkable how well the speakers work in such an audio-unfriendly environment.
It was sunday morning, a rare sober window in my schedule. I put that right later of course , thinking about it I guess i could of gone to Rudy's for a early one, next time ha ha.

The BACCH system is just so liberating in your current circumstances, it would be intresting to see how much it adds relatively speaking in a larger room with more distance between the already very rewarding speakers.

I had plans to try these 8c's out at home vs my vivids and drop the loser off at my mums alas works gone down the shitter so im on recession lock down .

Bloody democracy lol

Wombat

Master Contributor
It was sunday morning, a rare sober window in my schedule. I put that right later of course , thinking about it I guess i could of gone to Rudy's for a early one, next time ha ha.

The BACCH system is just so liberating in your current circumstances, it would be intresting to see how much it adds relatively speaking in a larger room with more distance between the already very rewarding speakers.

I had plans to try these 8c's out at home vs my vivids and drop the loser off at my mums alas works gone down the shitter so im on recession lock down .

Bloody democracy lol

Probably the lingering parliamentary Brexit stuff-up. :( Commiserations, cobber.

Hey, you will be warmly welcomed in Oz. Most of our immigrants don't drink. The balance needs to be restored. ;)

Bonus: Tradies here earn more than Engineers or HiFi salesmen.. https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/per...n-who-are-earning-dollar90-an-hour/ar-AAxhNSo

We are probably still more British than the real thing in many old ways.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Your sports teams have certainly adopted British levels recently.
Keiht

andrew

Anyone know of a centre channel speaker that would work well with the 8c (that isn't another 8c)? I just picked up at a bargain basement price a NAD T758V3 for use with A/V sources (i.e., AppleTV to T758V3 with stereo downmix to 8c) and am wondering about trying a centre channel. All advice from home theatre experts seems to be that the centre channel is critical but, honestly, I don't have a problem with dialogue via the 8c but am still open to trying something if there is a horizontal centre channel that is a good match.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anyone know of a centre channel speaker that would work well with the 8c (that isn't another 8c)? I just picked up at a bargain basement price a NAD T758V3 for use with A/V sources (i.e., AppleTV to T758V3 with stereo downmix to 8c) and am wondering about trying a centre channel. All advice from home theatre experts seems to be that the centre channel is critical but, honestly, I don't have a problem with dialogue via the 8c but am still open to trying something if there is a horizontal centre channel that is a good match.
Might be just as well off running in 4.x sans a center channel. From with I hear the 8C's are distinctive enough in FR that matching anything close will be every difficult.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never worried about matching center channel. If I ever catch any tonal variation in any scene, I will reconsider. I am using a JBL 305p with ATC mains. It works perfectly fine for me. YMMV.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've never worried about matching center channel. If I ever catch any tonal variation in any scene, I will reconsider. I am using a JBL 305p with ATC mains. It works perfectly fine for me. YMMV.
I've never heard any either but I've always had multich systems configured with matching speakers. But if you turn off your center amp and listen to the bleed you hear of voices, etc; that should be mainly center channel based, it makes me wonder what the effect of different tonal balances will add together to sound like?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never heard any either but I've always had multich systems configured with matching speakers. But if you turn off your center amp and listen to the bleed you hear of voices, etc; that should be mainly center channel based, it makes me wonder what the effect of different tonal balances will add together to sound like?

When I am watching a movie or show, I don't seem to be as discerning as when I am listening to music, so as long as the voices are clear I am okay using whatever speakers I have.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've never worried about matching center channel. If I ever catch any tonal variation in any scene, I will reconsider.
I've never heard any either but I've always had multich systems configured with matching speakers.
I have and that is what has driven me to insist on having three identical speakers for L/C/R.
When I am watching a movie or show, I don't seem to be as discerning as when I am listening to music, so as long as the voices are clear I am okay using whatever speakers I have.
Me, too.

Top Bottom