• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The rules for the POTY listings restrict the selections to products we've actually reviewed and we never reviewed the 8Cs. Did we?
I thought you had, but my brain's toast.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Either way. You just need an A/D converter.

You get the Captain Obvious award for that one, Kal. ;)

Z5S4C8B.png

But a more sophisticated solution would involve implementing RIAA via DSP, and possibly even NAB or IEC tape EQ also via DSP, the implementing the stream over wifi using a protocol that is natively supported by the 8CS, perhaps over something like RAAT.

I know of no such device.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You get the Captain Obvious award for that one, Kal. ;)
But a more sophisticated solution would involve implementing RIAA via DSP, and possibly even NAB or IEC tape EQ also via DSP, the implementing the stream over wifi using a protocol that is natively supported by the 8CS, perhaps over something like RAAT.
I know of no such device.
Nor do I but you can do it if you must. Studios do it all the time.
OTOH, I think it would be easier to just rip the stuff.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Nor do I but you can do it if you must. Studios do it all the time.
OTOH, I think it would be easier to just rip the stuff.

Half of that equation (phono input using RIAA and tape EQ via DSP, then ADC) can be done by my current Devialet Expert.

It's the streaming part that's missing.

It's also a massive waste of an integrated amp to use the Devialet Expert as a preamp.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the Dante devices would do streaming from ADC just fine. It isn't a cheap way to do it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All that movement with no sound.
That was my thought exactly.

"15Hz Sine Wave @ 240 fps"

At what SPL?
They say

"Dutch & Dutch 8c - You will know when you hear it."

I'm so confused. :p

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it a positive that elements move that much?

It's certainly not good for linearity. The further the coil moves, the less linear its motion becomes.

However, assuming you want to reproduce a 15Hz sinewave, better that you do it with a lot of displacement than that you don't do it at all, I guess.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It's certainly not good for linearity. The further the coil moves, the less linear its motion becomes.

However, assuming you want to reproduce a 15Hz sinewave, better that you do it with a lot of displacement than that you don't do it at all, I guess.

I have seen suwoofers that move (a lot) and subs that «don’t». My simple mind wonders, then, what’s the point of all that movement?

dc655321

Major Contributor

You can't do those frequenies without a lot of displacement...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen suwoofers that move (a lot) and subs that «don’t». My simple mind wonders, then, what’s the point of all that movement?

You can't do those frequenies without a lot of displacement...

True, but you can do it with a lot less displacement than that. Requires very large woofers though. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it in the first place, anyway, especially in a domestic context where sub-audible frequencies are likely to cause audible rattling. Or any context for that matter...

dc655321

Major Contributor
True, but you can do it with a lot less displacement than that. Requires very large woofers though. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it in the first place, anyway, especially in a domestic context where sub-audible frequencies are likely to cause audible rattling. Or any context for that matter...

Either you have a large box with large diameter drivers, or you have a smaller box with smaller drivers with a large linear range of motion.
Displacement is displacement, however it is achieved.

Besides, this clip is just showing off capability. Practicality has little (if anything) to do with the demonstration, IMO.
Just thought it was a visual treat.

Top Bottom