• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using Mac version or hardware version? I know very difficult to “justify” but do you think it is worth it? Already the 8c sound amazing and can’t help to think how to improve it even better.

The expense of BACCH4Mac is justified in light of the benefits.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use the two RME DACs with my 8Cs, Amir has measured them both and they are first rate, the Pro ( a/d and d/a) can send a digital signal to the D&Ds and attenuate ,the Dac2 is analogue only but has a remote .
I use Roon so will almost certainly just use the speakers and IPad when the software is released.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
E7CFE1C2-6600-4F1B-B8D1-01C813300BE5.jpeg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Point taken. I'm interested to know how BACCH compares to the 8c's built-in EQ.
I’m not sure they are really comparable , BACCH seems to be something you have to try for yourself. If you get your hands on the system pop back and let us know what you think.

In the mean time it would be intresting to see some in room measurements of the 8c, if you feel inclined. To have a few measurements from different peoples listening environments would be great .

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bacch looks really interesting, it is essentially cross cancellation software, leftchannel only goes to the left ear right to the right, Jon ‘sound arguement’ uses it, cost is slightly prohibitive though.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Bacch looks really interesting, it is essentially cross cancellation software, leftchannel only goes to the left ear right to the right, Jon ‘sound arguement’ uses it, cost is slightly prohibitive though.
Keith
We have a BACCH thread if you do a quick search. im sure in a few years this kind of software will be more attainable, well if there’s a significant up take of the technology.

I love the idea.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would like it to be a ‘built-in’ option on the 8Cs, that would be cool.
Keith

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a promising idea, but implementing it would require that the speakers have built-in cameras and more powerful built-in computers.

...and presumably some way to get rid of the extra heat.

I wonder if this is an area where today's Mac Mini might do better than an older one. I would expect a current processor to generate less heat for the same workload.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...and presumably some way to get rid of the extra heat.

I wonder if this is an area where today's Mac Mini might do better than an older one. I would expect a current processor to generate less heat for the same workload.

No, the 2012 i7 quad-core Mac Mini is the most powerful one ever made. The BACCH folks will sell you one with upgrades from the factory configuration and with BACCH pre-installed for $1,500 (plus the cost of the BACCH software), which is approximately what the 2012 i7 quad-core Mac Mini will fetch on the used market.

Apple's infrequent upgrades to their products and their occasional downgrades to their products (such as from the 2012 to 2014 Mac Mini) are problematic for me. I prefer running Linux on generic PC hardware.

I usually log into ASR from a 2006 vintage (no typo) Dell laptop running 32-bit Ubuntu. It boots and does basic tasks faster than my two Windows computers, my BACCH Mac Mini, or my new Macbook Pro at work.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I prefer running Linux on generic PC hardware. I usually log into ASR from a 2006 (no typo) Dell laptop running 32-bit Ubuntu. It boots and does basic tasks faster than my two Windows computers, my BACCH Mac Mini or my brand-new Macbook Pro at work.
+1 The last decade of Windoz and Mac OS's has become so bloaded and the updating procedures interfer with day to day use to such an extent, it's unbelievable. Garbage!

andrew

I’ve got multiple places in the chain where I can apply EQ - specifically, 8c speaker DSP, mini-DSP DDRC (Dirac) or sources (Aries with Roon). The plan is to use the 8c DSP so that I can take advantage of the Roon end-point but I’m interested to know if there is a reason to use one of the other DSP options. I’ll only apply EQ <250Hz. Any reason not to use the in-built DSP or, put differently, to use the DSP available elsewhere in the system?

I’ve got multiple places in the chain where I can apply EQ - specifically, 8c speaker DSP, mini-DSP DDRC (Dirac) or sources (Aries with Roon). The plan is to use the 8c DSP so that I can take advantage of the Roon end-point but I’m interested to know if there is a reason to use one of the other DSP options. I’ll only apply EQ <250Hz. Any reason not to use the in-built DSP or, put differently, to use the DSP available elsewhere in the system?

I have Roon and the software-only version of Dirac here. Dirac and Roon are both capable of more sophisticated equalisation than the 24-filter parametric EQ built into the 8c. In practice, you can get brilliant results out of all of them. I would support your decision to limit the EQ to just the bass.

andrew

In addition, my wife and I intend to move to the 'burbs, at which time subs will be added to the 8Cs. After the move, I will also press the LS50s, now in storage, back into service with the Devialet and multiple DSPed subs, to accompany TV viewing.
Two separate systems or will the 8c just be dormant for TV viewing (which seems a shame)?

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A query for Dutch & Dutch (maybe they'll see it if I post it here): Can the white ABS plastic on the 8Cs turn yellow with exposure to UV light? This is a problem with old computer and audio gear made of white ABS. It would be helpful to know if we owners of white 8Cs in domestic environments should cover them when they're not in use...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A query for Dutch & Dutch (maybe they'll see it if I post it here): Can the white ABS plastic on the 8Cs turn yellow with exposure to UV light? This is a problem with old computer and audio gear made of white ABS. It would be helpful to know if we owners of white 8Cs in domestic environments should cover them when they're not in use...
That's probably a good idea. Being down here in FL I see the advanced effects of UV exposure on all sort of plastics, or any material for that matter.. If your speakers are by a window or exposed for extended periods in any way you should shield them in some way for long term stability of the finish.

Top Bottom