• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Massimo

The baby Perlisten is a speaker designed to be used as a satellite with a subwoofer, not a bookshelf with a port bump to try and make it sound like it has bass.

Also put in perspective the values in these linearity charts are +0.5 and -0.5 to -0.75 dB, the scale is intentionally small to magnify the differences because if they were on the same scale as the 2034 graphs you would be hard pressed to notice them.

Many speakers have similar or greater tolerances between drive units than the differences seen here.

This is not meant as any criticism of Erin's testing which is great but some perspective is needed when analysing them if anyone thinks these results are poor.

So the Perlisten S4b will cost around $16k with a pair of matching subs, to which you need to add amplification and streaming taking the total cost well above that of the 8C which includes all of the above. You also need DSP to optimise the S4b in your room.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The baby Perlisten is a speaker designed to be used as a satellite with a subwoofer, not a bookshelf with a port bump to try and make it sound like it has bass.

Also put in perspective the values in these linearity charts are +0.5 and -0.5 to -0.75 dB, the scale is intentionally small to magnify the differences because if they were on the same scale as the 2034 graphs you would be hard pressed to notice them.

Many speakers have similar or greater tolerances between drive units than the differences seen here.

This is not meant as any criticism of Erin's testing which is great but some perspective is needed when analysing them if anyone thinks these results are poor.

FWIW, all of this is discussed in my review of the S4b which was published about a month ago which I'm guessing @Massimo may have missed.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So the Perlisten S4b will cost around $16k with a pair of matching subs, to which you need to add amplification and streaming taking the total cost well above that of the 8C which includes all of the above. You also need DSP to optimise the S4b in your room.
Indeed, whether a speaker is good value or requires considerably more equipment to function properly has nothing to do with comparing the anechoic performance of the speakers.

Massimo

Indeed, whether a speaker is good value or requires considerably more equipment to function properly has nothing to do with comparing the anechoic performance of the speakers.
It matters to me because I'm interested in the full range performance of respective speakers not just how well they peform above 100Hz.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Does s4b use beryllium tweeter? I know beryllium tweeter can have very high sensitivity like 97dB/W, which makes the heat very small so helps with the compression at high frequency. How can beryllium has so high sensitivity, is it because it is very light weight?

fluid

It matters to me because I'm interested in the full range performance of respective speakers not just how well they peform above 100Hz.
Limiting your comparison to speakers that are designed to have full range performance and not include ones that are designed on purpose to not go low would make more sense. It is rare that manufacturers design speakers like the s4b to avoid complaints like yours (and it limits market share by not being a standalone speaker), even though by making a speaker go lower than it reasonably can the dynamic response suffers.
Does s4b use beryllium tweeter? I know beryllium tweeter can have very high sensitivity like 97dB/W, which makes the heat very small so helps with the compression at high frequency. How can beryllium has so high sensitivity, is it because it is very light weight?
It does use a beryllium tweeter but it is the other two domes in the waveguide that are part of an array that reduces compression in the range they operate. Once the main tweeter is on it's own the compression sets in.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perlisten S4b has vanishingly low distortion, while the D&D 8C have 1% third harmonic at 1KHz @96dB/1m, where we're most sensitive to distortion and right there at the cusp of audibility.

The S4b is incredibly clean in comparison. and is the 'no compromise' traditional speaker imo.

Digby

Major Contributor
However, it is so ugly it makes Genelec speakers look like Miss World contestants (it has a chess board pattern on the driver...wth).

garbz

The S4b is incredibly clean in comparison. and is the 'no compromise' traditional speaker imo.
Define 'no compromise', because I think it's self evident that they compromised on either affordability or bass response / electronics.

Massimo

Perlisten S4b has vanishingly low distortion, while the D&D 8C have 1% third harmonic at 1KHz @96dB/1m, where we're most sensitive to distortion and right there at the cusp of audibility.

There are compromises with every speaker, including the S4b which is designed to only perform well above 100Hz.

The measured distortion of the 8C is a compromise but is not evident in listening according to Erin, from his review of the 8C:

"Speaking of distortion, yes, the measured harmonic distortion is relatively high. But, in my listening tests I had this speaker playing as high as 105dB @ 4 meters with no audible distortion other than the things that were buzzing in my living room."

On the other hand, the lack of bass in the S4b will be very evident.

In my experience, it is generally bass that is problematic due to room interactions and the most difficult to resolve and I much prefer the compromise made by Dutch & Dutch over that of Perlisten.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Define 'no compromise', because I think it's self evident that they compromised on either affordability or bass response / electronics.
If you have the money for it there is no compromise in either on-axis response linearity, maximum output or directivity.

garbz

If you have the money for it there is no compromise in either on-axis response linearity, maximum output or directivity.
So you discount money and ignore the bass. Yeah well the Dutch and Dutch 8c is clearly a no compromise speaker when it comes to the included power cable...
The idea of compromise necessitates looking at a package as a whole. As soon as you add a qualifier all you've really done is saying "it compromised there, but I'm ignoring that".

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you discount money and ignore the bass. Yeah well the Dutch and Dutch 8c is clearly a no compromise speaker when it comes to the included power cable...
The idea of compromise necessitates looking at a package as a whole. As soon as you add a qualifier all you've really done is saying "it compromised there, but I'm ignoring that".
What compromise would a S4b has for someone rich as long as it’s crossed with a subwoofer at 80Hz? It’s a flawless bookshelf speaker.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What compromise would a S4b has for someone rich as long as it’s crossed with a subwoofer at 80Hz? It’s a flawless bookshelf speaker.
I'd say the horizontal directivity kink at 1 kHz. Otherwise, it's an exceptional speaker; it's even good looking (except the woofer texturer, for me).
And compared to the 8c, it doesn't have the thorough LF directivity control

EDIT: strike that last one or any potential mention of coaxial competitors, didn't see the "traditional"

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say the horizontal directivity kink at 1 kHz. Otherwise, it's an exceptional speaker; it's even good looking (except the woofer texturer, for me).
And compared to the 8c, it doesn't have the thorough LF directivity control
I honestly don’t get why people are arguing that the 14000$ Kii or 12000$ D&D is better than the 8000$ S4b.

a MiniDSP SHD power and any high-end subwoofer would make the S4b mop the floor with these two in any metric while still costing less.

The vertical directivity of the Kali and D&D is absolute garbage (in comparison), and their vertical cancelation dips or kinks like you like to call it are much much more severe.

Last edited:

muad

I honestly don’t get why people are arguing that the 14000$ Kali or 12000$ D&D is better than the 8000$ S4b.

a MiniDSP SHD power and any high-end subwoofer would make the S4b mop the floor with these two in any metric while still costing less.

The vertical directivity of the Kali and D&D is absolute garbage (in comparison), and their vertical cancelation dips or kinks like you like to call it are much much severe.
First of all, it's not Kali. Kali doesn't make high end speakers. Secondly the 8c and Kii audio have cardioid dispersion. That will have a more noticable affect on sound than borderline inaudible distortion. The perlistens are great and are the only speakers I know of that control vertical directivity like that, but you need multiple subs set up correctly.

None of these speakers mop the floor with any other. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. ALL speakers have compromises.

Massimo

I honestly don’t get why people are arguing that the 14000$ Kii or 12000$ D&D is better than the 8000$ S4b.

The vertical directivity of the Kali and D&D is absolute garbage (in comparison), and their vertical cancelation dips or kinks like you like to call it are much much more severe.

Please add subwoofers, amplification, DSP, a streaming device and cabling to the cost of the S4b before comparing to the others.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please add subwoofers, amplification, DSP, a streaming device and cabling to the cost of the S4b before comparing to the others.
The MiniDSP SHD power is 1600$ that leaves 2400$ for a subwoofer if you want fo compare it with the D&D and 4400$ if you want to compare it with the Kii.

Massimo

The MiniDSP SHD power is 1600$ that leaves 2400$ for a subwoofer if you want fo compare it with the D&D and 4400$ if you want to compare it with the Kii.

Have you checked the cost of matching Perlisten subwoofers?

Top Bottom