• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8C Kii THREE killer?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bass is excellent here, incredibly punchy and measures flat to around 25Hz in my rooms, I will ask Martijn how the room sounded.
Keith

Wil

I'm happy they sound deep in your rooms. I just visited the show, so I didn't make measurements.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They not only sound deep the measurements I have taken verify that have a flat output to 25Hz.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I managed to speak to Martijn at Dutch@Dutch he said that at X-Fi the 8Cs measured flat at 20Hz he did notch out a room node but that’s all.
The 8Cs are superb, we have a pair of 8Ms arriving next week!

Keith

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Any idea of the SPL when the measurement was taken? :confused:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would the exact spl matter?
Keith

Because my heavily EQed KEF LS50s (passive) are flat to 20 Hz at low SPLs, and it's no special accomplishment. If the 8Cs are flat to 20 Hz at 100 dB, that would be a special accomplishment indeed.

I suspect that the gentleman at D&D was, in fact, referring to flat 20 Hz response at a relatively high SPL.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
20Hz from LS50’s ! which I have here.
Keith

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I cite the following from Wiki:

Frequency response measurement
Frequency response measurements are only meaningful if shown as a graph, or specified in terms of ±3 dB limits (or other limits). A weakness of most quoted figures is failure to state the maximum SPL available, especially at low frequencies. A power bandwidth measurement is therefore most useful, in addition to frequency response, this being a plot of maximum SPL out for a given distortion figure across the audible frequency range.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Distortion is very much dependent upon level but that is not what we are discussing.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Distortion is very much dependent upon level but that is not what we are discussing.
Keith
A 3" woofer could theoretically be EQ'd to produce a flat response down to 20hz but what it would sound like at any reasonable spl questionable.
The distortion any system creates in the deep bass vs spl is exactly what needs to be discussed. Very akin to the old (and current AVR) ways of publishing a amplifiers power spec without mentioning under what conditions it can deliver that spec.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Keith
Distortion is germane and relevant to advancing discussion of loudspeaker specification, e.g., SPL.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I agree but it is not what ‘wil’ was questioning, he commented upon the ( in his opinion ) lack of deep bass in the room, which in fact when measured was flat to 20Hz.
I am going to measure the distortion of the Kii’s and Dutch&Dutch and will post the plots in due course.
Keith

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Listened to 8C for few clips today in a Hifi show and they sound excellent, and they sound better than Kii to my ears (by memory)

after listening to the 8c , the french kii distributor will come to my house on friday for a demonstration...

even if our auditory memory often plays tricks on us I think I remember well the 8 c's for their low level listening qualities, their very wide spot sheet, and their very good low register... I would keep you informed on my subjective impressions.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The 8Ms are a more conventional version of the 8Cs, same size, but not cardioid, and doesn’t have the twin bass drivers of the 8C and hence not quite the same bass extension.
They are a very competent loudspeaker, but if you can afford the extra personally I would go For the 8C.
The 8Ms are featured on the D&D website.
Keith

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 8Ms are a more conventional version of the 8Cs, same size, but not cardioid, and doesn’t have the twin bass drivers of the 8C and hence not quite the same bass extension.
They are a very competent loudspeaker, but if you can afford the extra personally I would go For the 8C.
The 8Ms are featured on the D&D website.
Keith

Thanks, I found them

Top Bottom