• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch 8C and Kii THREE compared

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully the first piece of a proper objective and subjective comparison, I am going to measure the bass distortion of the Kiis today.
The Kii THREE design has been dogged since day one by the very poor bass distortion measurements posted in ‘Audio’ magazines review,
https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/forum/loudspeakers/kii-three-and-dutch-dutch-8c-s-compared

Keith

Is this still available somewhere? I tried using Wayback machine but all I can find is photos of the 2 side by side, no measurements

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have both here I can re-measure what specifically would you be interested in?
What is more interesting is the 8Cs/Kiis compared to traditional designs, I stopped stocking passive designs some time ago but if you want to bring a particular design here?

Keith

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I have access to neither but I'm trying to understand why subjective reviews seem to favor the 8C and all I have is measurements. Good measurements, but still just measurements... So this is one case where I was more interested in the 'subjective' aspect of your article

Specifically, I've been interested in getting a 20(ish)-20 speaker for some time now. As I see it, the options are:

Buchardt - lowest cost, controlled but not exactly cardioid, minimum distance 75cm with nearfield tuning, but also poor(-ish) vertical directivity *in the context of nearfield*
Mesanovic - good but slightly incomplete measurements, some debate around ribbon tweeter, per manual minimum distance 1.5m which probably disqualifies for nearfield
8C - slightly less than Kii, directive to about 100Hz, minimum distance 80cm (per D&D support)
Kii - directive to about 60Hz, minimum listening distance 1.5m (probably disqualified for nearfield)

My listening distance is about 1m, give it or take. These also will NOT be up against wall, more middle of the room. So, on the surface of it, it's down to A500 or 8C but I'm willing to rearrange a bit if there's a significant gain with RTM10 or Kii. Hence, why I'm going through subjective reviews of people who seem a bit more qualified (purite, erin, mitchco, etc) than myself or some YouTuber who's just spewing whatever they can think of to get you to smash that subscribe button.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would be most welcome to hear the Kii/8C/Mesanovic if you are in or anywhere near the UK.
My personal favourites are the 8C, but Kiis are really good too, the Roon Ready feature is really good and there will be another really interesting feature being added soon!
Keith

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would be most welcome to hear the Kii/8C/Mesanovic if you are in or anywhere near the UK.
My personal favourites are the 8C, but Kiis are really good too, the Roon Ready feature is really good and there will be another really interesting feature being added soon!
Keith

Anything in particular that you can recollect or describe? If you've mentioned elsewhere, you can just point me that way - appreciated.

Shorty

If you really want to put them in the middle of the room, it surely would be pointless to even audition the 8c…

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They work really well placed anywhere, you simply tell the loudspeaker where it is in relation to the rear and side walls and it adjusts its bass output ( and mid and treble delay ) accordingly.
Keith

Top Bottom