• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch 8C owners - What do you feed them?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am seriously considering picking up a pair of 8s' as it looks as if a numbefr of distributors are soon to be receiving an allotment.
All of my listening is via ripped FLAC (Red book CD & some higher sampling rate selections) and SACD dsd files
If i feed the 8C's an already converted analog signal from my DAC, it would have to be converted to digital (massaged by the DSP) and then a round trip conversion back to analog again. I am assuming i want to avoid the unnecessary additional conversions by feeding it a digital signal. What / where are current owners finding AES outputs on audio hardware?
Is anyone just feeding them analog signals and not worrying about it since any added problems from dual conversions are eventually EQ'ed out?
What color scheme did you pick and if you were to do it over again would you stick with your original choice?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My server had AES/EBU output. I preferred it to analog into the 8C.
What are you using to play your files?

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like you, my front end is Jriver and am currently using a Matrix Audio Element as my DAC and streamer pulling files from my NAS . The output from the Matrix goes to an emotiva xmc2/ From there to my amps which currently feed salon2's

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was following your input when discussing how you fed them in one of the other posts. You have one of 2 or 3 streamers I believe that have the AES. I was hoping to avoid that fairly big expense of changing streamers (over and above the 8cs) to match yours
Was hoping someone would convince me my concerns regarding the double conversion were not warranted :)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used streamers with AES/EBU out. Minidsp SHD Studio is one of the less expensive options.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used streamers with AES/EBU out. Minidsp SHD Studio is one of the less expensive options.
Yah, i found that one too. Its on my list.
Did you try using analog, bypassing the minidsp? Did you notice a difference?

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot to ask, how big a difference would you classify the analog into the 8c's vs AES?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not on the 8c I always used digital. I'm trying analog now on some Genelec 8351b. I have a strange issue with the Minidsp so I'm using a cambridge 851N analog out, I don't hear a difference.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not on the 8c I always used digital. I'm trying analog now on some Genelec 8351b. I have a strange issue with the Minidsp so I'm using a cambridge 851N analog out, I don't hear a difference.
Thanks

cursive

Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was following your input when discussing how you fed them in one of the other posts. You have one of 2 or 3 streamers I believe that have the AES. I was hoping to avoid that fairly big expense of changing streamers (over and above the 8cs) to match yours
Was hoping someone would convince me my concerns regarding the double conversion were not warranted :)
One could easily live with it (after all the internal sample rate is modest) but just knowing the redundant conversions would discomfort me. Any time I had a problem, I would presume this to be the fault. Besides, it is unappealing.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use an RME ‘pro’ , customers use streamers with AES outputs, ( for example Auralic), Weiss make a smart unit although it is expensive.
I have compared two pairs of 8Cs side by side digital and analogue ‘in’ and can’t hear any difference.
Keith

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One could easily live with it (after all the internal sample rate is modest) but just knowing the redundant conversions would discomfort me. Any time I had a problem, I would presume this to be the fault. Besides, it is unappealing.
Exactly what i was thinking

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use an RME ‘pro’ , customers use streamers with AES outputs, ( for example Auralic), Weiss make a smart unit although it is expensive.
I have compared two pairs of 8Cs side by side digital and analogue ‘in’ and can’t hear any difference.
Keith
Thanks, Keith
Even more likely for me since my hearing is probably much worse than yours. It more about what Kal said.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you will always have USB as a source, you might check out this device https://www.ebay.com/c/2198108430
3 clock options of varying performance, but looks like software may be chinese only, that I'm unsure about.

The thread is a little confusing, but looks like it was measured and compared here to the Gustard U16 Digital Interface. Several ASR members purchased the unit, so might check with them.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-gustard-u16-usb-digital-interface.9997/
That looks like a potential option using the I2s socket..
Gonna have to dig a bit deeper and make sure
Thanks

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like, unless i am wrong, the SHD does not support anything over 192k which eliminates SACD files

Top Bottom