• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But, after all is said and done, this is what I think will be the greatest challenge for the new film:

965a48cc890c235cdde076f6ebf51461.jpg
My son also feels this way. One of the things he is most curious about is how they portray her. Should be creepy AF, but execute it wrong and its comedic.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My son also feels this way. One of the things he is most curious about is how they portray her. Should be creepy AF, but execute it wrong and its comedic.
Deepfake AI de-aging will do it just fine :facepalm:

Offler

Sure it looks good and Gosling is charming, but I hated it, it was a weak movie with an inane story, an absurd bad guy, driven by cheap trendy misanthropy.

It insulted the audience by claiming some connection to Philip K. Dick's masterpiece. I'm happy it flopped, lest they made more.
He is not misanthrope, he has insane god complex, refers to his brand of replicants as "angels" for that reason. Have you seen 3 short movies leading to 2049?

Three short movies help to understand the connection, but the key is not simple... You have to figure out when K was talking to actual AI of Joi, when its not her, but somebody else.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure it looks good and Gosling is charming, but I hated it, it was a weak movie with an inane story, an absurd bad guy, driven by cheap trendy misanthropy.

It insulted the audience by claiming some connection to Philip K. Dick's masterpiece. I'm happy it flopped, lest they made more.
One could say that misanthropy permeates the ethos of "Blade Runner"... Humans did "make" the replicants to their image and then once their sentience became inconvenient, proceed to retire them by using their own kind... that makes those humans quite monstrous. The "bad guy" in this , is the distillate of us humans who make and break what we don't see as our owns or in this sense "belonging" to us. The bad guy is no different than the Blade Runners..
This is, IMHO at the essence of the Philip K Dick piece... Since they're "made" they're disposable .. even if they are sentient and more like us than some of us :) or even more human than many of us... :)

After a few viewings on my HT , I can maintain: "Blade Runner 2049" is a great movie. Better than the original while respecting it and bein sourced from it.
Back to "Dune?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is not misanthrope, he has insane god complex, refers to his brand of replicants as "angels" for that reason. Have you seen 3 short movies leading to 2049?

Three short movies help to understand the connection, but the key is not simple... You have to figure out when K was talking to actual AI of Joi, when its not her, but somebody else.
What are those 'shorts" and where can one find them?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, after all is said and done, this is what I think will be the greatest challenge for the new film:

965a48cc890c235cdde076f6ebf51461.jpg

The most magnificent child role in cinema. Alicia Witt. A little girl that managed to convince audience her consciousness is much bigger than her age and that her mind is ominous and sinister. No other child role comes close.

Was that even her voice in Dune (1984)? It sounded very overdubbed.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I approached Villeneuve's Dune with apprehension. I thought his treatment of Ted Chiang's "Arrival" was mesmerizing. "Blade Runner 2049", not so much.

Not since the first Superman movie in 1978 have I felt that a screen adaptation of a story I loved was treated with the steady hand it deserved.

(And I'm genuinely bored by Superhero flicks, no acting required.)

They cast actors with interesting faces and gave them something to do with a difficult script, not all of it in front of a green screen.

When Jessica confronts Mapes, I wept.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I walked out about an hour and 45 minutes in. Loudness wars? I put on some IEMs as earplugs. Wasn't enough. Visuals? 3D managed to dim everything, and the pallet was all washed out to begin with. There's abundant torture, there's massive explosions forever---It's just like a tour of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. I really got a lot out of Blade Runner 2049, but between the wooden acting, the excessively loud foley/soundtrack and the bad vibes of the whole---one of the worst movie experiences in my life. I don't care what happens to the characters in the movie, I want all of them to die.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
driven by cheap trendy misanthropy
Oh, yes! You just became one of my three fave members.

And it's not just misanthropy, but even misandry. My take is; it's a missed opportunity. I respect Villeneuve and I DO believe he might've made a good movie. He didn't.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's abundant torture, there's massive explosions forever---It's just like a tour of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Amazing that you caught the buried subtext about Empires broken by waging an asymmetric war in a desert.

Bless your heart.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dune Part 2 now has a planned release date of October 2023.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't appreciate the negativity directed to Bladerunner 2049. Critics liked it. Some around here must think they are smarter than everyone else. Besides, Bladerunner 2049 isn't the topic here. Maybe those people need to go shopping for fancy cables. Why do some here find it cathartic to shit over decent films?

atsmusic

I don't appreciate the negativity directed to Bladerunner 2049. Critics liked it. Some around here must think they are smarter than everyone else. Besides, Bladerunner 2049 isn't the topic here. Maybe those people need to go shopping for fancy cables. Why do some here find it cathartic to shit over decent films?
It makes them feel smarter than they really are.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I loved 1984 Dune and I watched it many times. The opening scene with Virginia Madsen is perfect intro to Dune universe and even in the book you find many quotes from her character. Sure it was rushed in the other half and there were stupid weapons involving sound, but it was a good movie overall. Great sets, beautfiful soundtrack, interesting cast and memorable dialogs. IMHO he succeded in bringing some ideas from the book to big screen even though he didn't hold on to it closely.
I don't care what Lynch has to say about it now or then, I lost respect for him after the new Twin Peaks nonsense.
And I do like the new Dune. It is so different then earlier versions. But I don't know how people will get if they didn't read the book. I feel like it is meant for the fans of the books.
Couple of things I hate:
1. Too dark - what is up with new movies and poor lighting? I almost didn't see anything in Han Solo movie and this Dune follows the same trend. Colors are bland and make me miss Technicolor.
2. Why did they make Liet Kynes a woman? Are there not enough strong female characters in the book? Bene Geserit are like superheroes not to mention Lady Jessica and Chani. Was this only for the sake of change or every movie now has a department for political correctness? Making Kynes a woman did not bring anything to better the story.

Top Bottom