• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally haven't been in a movie theater since the summer of 2019. I've watched the 30 first minutes of Dune 2021 at the comfort of my home. While the Atmos soundtrack and the 4k HDR10 is quite good, the movie plot is too boring to really enjoy the special effects. I gave up after 30 minutes. Do you really have ushers flashing torches at your face to check for compliance in the middle of the movie? In my country you must be fully vaccinated to enter any public place. They enforce vaccines instead if masks.
I couldn't agree more regarding it being boring. I fell asleep 2x.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't agree more regarding it being boring. I fell asleep 2x.
Oh, Oh!
You can be dox'd by the HooliganB*st*rds for such sentiment in social networks.
You are lucky to be amongst ASR compatriots who are much more understanding and tolerable.;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are lucky to be amongst ASR compatriots who are much more understanding and tolerable.;)
What is a fresh breath of air for one, is a bore fest for another. Tolerable it is. Understanding: not really ;). And that is perfectly okay.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a fresh breath of air for one, is a bore fest for another. Tolerable it is. Understanding: not really ;). And that is perfectly okay.
In our family, we have a few heads that are totally into the StarWars.
One of those heads actually built the darn R2D2 in full size working replica that has traveled the country to many StarWars conventions, schools, hospitals and such. Mind you that he had no knowledge (IMHO) about computers, motorized hardware and/or software when he started on this quest.
Him and I don't get along well lately. It is because I have always fallen a sleep (due to meh) on most StarWars movie and he does not understand why I (the geekiest in the family) never have gotten excited about his impressive creation.
Yet, Sci-Fi is my preferred movie choice... weird that!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In our family, we have a few heads that are totally into the StarWars.
One of those heads actually built the darn R2D2 in full size working replica that has traveled the country to many StarWars conventions, schools, hospitals and such. Mind you that he had no knowledge (IMHO) about computers, motorized hardware and/or software when he started on this quest.
Him and I don't get along well lately. It is because I have always fallen a sleep (due to meh) on most StarWars movie and he does not understand why I (the geekiest in the family) never have gotten excited about his impressive creation.
Yet, Sci-Fi is my preferred movie choice... weird that!
Sounds like a real fan! I’m sorry he had to endure the last 2.5 movies then :facepalm: And if you’re a Trekkie, sorry for the Discovery and Picard… Or a Whovian: well.. you know the drill by now..

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was well satisfied with the way the movie was handled. Upon reflection however, I don't think it will go down well with people who have never read the book. Too much is implied and without knowing the book you don't know of it. Which also makes the movie a bit too slow or dull. It doesn't help that just when it gets everything in motion, about then you are at the end.

As an example, when the Reverend Mother meets Paul. You barely hear him mutter Fear...is the Mind Killer. I'm not sure that will even be heard by many people who didn't read the book. Even if you tell them what it is, there is nothing in the movie for you to know where that comes from or represents or how it adds to the story unfolding.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Watched it last night and thought it was great in almost every respect. Although it did feel that it ended as the story was just getting started, kind of a prologue. I read the trilogy nearly 30 years ago and honestly don't remember many details, but no matter, still enjoyable.

daniel_chris

I watched it yesterday and it was all amazing. Dune is beautiful and occasionally confounding film with a strong passion behind it.

Set in the far future, it follows Paul Atreides, as he and his family, the noble House Atreides, are thrust into a war for the dangerous desert planet Arrakis, between the native Fremen people and the enemy invaders, and former rulers of Arrakis, the House Harkonnen.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
This was a huge waste of time. This feels like a huge exposition like the 1st part of lord of the rings or something. Nothing much really happened, and nothing is resolved when the credits roll. I felt cheated. Just when it tought it would get interesting, it was over.

Veri

Master Contributor
This was a huge waste of time. This feels like a huge exposition like the 1st part of lord of the rings or something. Nothing much really happened, and nothing is resolved when the credits roll. I felt cheated. Just when it tought it would get interesting, it was over.
I think this is the problem for those not as familiar with the source material.. this Part 1 could have just as well been a director's cut. For the average moviegoer, I'm afraid too little events filled the movie.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I say Dune 2021 last evening. It is a very good film in it's own right. It does suffer only in comparison with the book, and in varying degree with the 1987 movie and 2001 mini-series.

So 2021 has scenes that are invented by Villeneuve and don't appear in any the aforementioned versions. Some are explanatory in which regard they are premature in the evolution of the story whereas the book retains some ambiguities longer. Other added scenes seem only for sensationalism such as those highlighting Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho. For a 2021 flick, that version at least doesn't suffer the over-blown effects of say, the LoTR films. Casting is good though as chef protagonist Paul Atreides, Timothée Chalamet, is a descent actor but comes across as a little too wimpy for my tastes. Otherwise, who can fault a movie featuring both Jason Momoa and Dave Bautista. :) In the 2021, I really miss Princess Irulan and Feyd characters.

So as for portrayal the book's own story, the best film version, IMO, is the 2001 miniseries. The 2003 sequel, Children of Dune, based of Hubert's books, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, is also a very decent portrayal of those books. (Notable character portrayals there were, IMO, a very hot Daniela Amavia as Alia Atreides, Julie Cox as Princes Irulan, and Ian McNeice as Vladimir Harkonnen.)

Anyway, I do really hope the Villeneuve not only completes the Dune story goes on to Messiah & Children sequels.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Pufff with all the fuss and prolongings. When they told it will be a remake I didn't thought they meant quite literally. I did watch and the TV series and played older versions of game.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Watched this last night on HBO Max. I agree that the cut off point was oddly placed, but there were few options given the length.
Would have been cool to have the complete story (first novel), in two or three? parts, released simultaneously.
Also, thought that more Harkonnen screentime would've been great.

Visually fantastic on the OLED screen and the home was audibly rumbling from the hours long workout of my Sonos playbar, play:3's, and sub.
Good fun!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, Oh!
You can be dox'd by the HooliganB*st*rds for such sentiment in social networks.
Wait for the mods to come.
I will soon be banned.
It was great knowing you

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Wait for the mods to come.
I will soon be banned.
It was great knowing you
A Mod is here and following this thread and I don’t know what your on about here? :oops:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Am I the only one thinking, "Remulak. A town in... France."?
or... Elbonia.
https://dilbert.com/strip/1990-04-04

a96db080984f012f2fe400163e41dd5b

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I thought it was really good. Good adaptation, unlike that Foundation series which is just pure garbage. You can see Denis respects the source material a lot.

Top Bottom