• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dune at least had some kind of moral and in some ways okayish ending (after book 6). I always liked the 5th and 6th books most, 4th was ok too. First three were boring for the most part. I read the books a few times but skipped the first after i read it once. I wonder how far the new movies will go.
I'm sort of amazed by anyone liking the 4th, 5th, and 6th books more than the first three.

To remind folks, the six books you refer to are (presumably):
  1. Dune (1965)
  2. Dune Messiah (1969)
  3. Children of Dune (1976)
  4. God Emperor of Dune (1981)
  5. Heretics of Dune (1984)
  6. Chapterhouse: Dune (1985)
I seem to recall that I read all of them though I found only the 1st to be a really great tale. Where only the 1st book was foundational, at least the 2nd and 3rd served to the completed Paul Atreides saga. Sorry but 4-6 were purely derivative and their endless, convoluted intrigues became tedious, repetitive, and déjà vu, (as I commented earlier).

And as I also commented earlier, I would probably enjoy it if Denis Villeneuve were to extend the current series to cover all the first three books but I'd be just as glad if he stopped right there.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We watched the trailer for that NicholasCage 2023 movie "Sympathy for the Devil"..
I never watch trailers
It ruins the whole movie
I can 100% confirm that its trailer had NOTHING to do with how terrible this movie was!
At the end we looked at each other and agreed that no more Cage-y movies for the either of us.:facepalm:

AdamG

Forum Donor
I never watch trailers
It ruins the whole movie
I’m with you on that. But I read the book like a dozen times, so I know how this ends. The one part I am disappointed in with this version of Dune. So far at least, they have completely disregarded the advanced sound powered/ thought powered Weapon System that gave the Freeman the tactical advantage. But comprising is part of the story telling. I am so excited about this part 2 movie I couldn’t resist. Dune was very instrumental in my chosen profession and love of all things Science and Technology. :p

On edit: I see @Blumlein 88 beat me to the Book part. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I read the book like a dozen times
Not a fan of reading novels or books-on-tapes.
It was the first (and the last) time, but I did listen to George R. R. Martin's novels, after the first season of "Game of Thrones".
I detested sticking IEMs in my ears, but I found the readings not only informative but actually enjoyable and pleasurable.
Maybe I should do the same before I watch Dune2.:oops:
Thank you.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just watched the UHD bluray in Dolby Vision downmixed by the AVP to 2.1. Great sound, very high dynamic (German track!), but despite high SPL voices were sometimes hard to understand (may be due to hearing loss).

Video on my big screen (100" projection) was excellent despite downscale to 2k (no 4k beamer).

I agree with other comments that one must know the story to enjoy the movie.
Watched it again after recalibrating room EQ with REW. Now using the sub output of the AVP (as opposed to using the xover in the sub) and changed the xover frequency from 80 to 100 Hz to fill a dip.

Quite an improvement in tightness and clarity. I played it so loud that SQ came close to our IMAX theater, and it improved dialog intelligibility as well. It was an overwhelming experience, and I'm still sitting here with a big smile on my face. :):):)

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
When is the sequel coming out ?
March 2024 approximately. And it’s not a sequel it’s a part 2 or a continuation of the original first book.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel Dune: Part 2 is too long.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Too much action for my taste. Dune 1 was better and much closer to the book.
I thought they didn't need the entire stadium sequence.

Top Bottom