• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dumb Man Seeking Easiest Dirac Live Room Correction System

SadMonster

Hi, I am very dumb, and I need recommendations for the best easy to use Dirac Live Room Correction system to automatically improve the low end on my playback system.

Thanks guys I love speakers uwu

I have a stereo system with stereo subwoofers getting signal from an optical cable.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Help us out what's the budget? And, why DLRC?

OP
S

SadMonster

Help us out what's the budget? And, why DLRC?

Hmmmmm....I'm pretty open to budget but I do want a great value. I just want to get in the ballpark here. So whatever the diminishing return point is? Also whatever is really easy.

And I'm just going with Dirac because it's all I know and I'm really dumb and Mr Science Amir said it is good

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Dirac is involved IMHO. I used it with a miniDSP DDRC 24. Maybe you might want to go the route of new autoEQ subs. Or make a friend that will help you step by step. What subs do you own now?

OP
S

SadMonster

Dirac is involved IMHO. I used it with a miniDSP DDRC 24. Maybe you might want to go the route of new autoEQ subs. Or make a friend that will help you step by step. What subs do you own now?

I can't buy new subs ;[

Damn I was hoping Dirac would be easy ;[[

Here is my system:
rockwoolpanels.jpg

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Well your room is far too small for two subs, maybe too small for 5.1 or 5.2. Place the front speakers as far away form the side walls as possible, maybe violate the at least six feet apart rule and don't toe in at 45º. The most limiting element in your system is the room. Don't spend any more money until you get a bigger room. Just my 2¢.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Well your room is far too small for two subs, maybe too small for 5.1 or 5.2. Place the front speakers as far away form the side walls as possible, maybe violate the at least six feet apart rule and don't toe in at 45º. The most limiting element in your system is the room. Don't spend any more money until you get a bigger room. Just my 2¢.

Sorry man wish I could've let ya down easy.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Or maybe consider this.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Iam not sure if i see this right? You have two subs and the speakers in the corners?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually you should consider Dirac, especially with that room. I would recommend the miniDSP DDRC 24 which also has built in digital electronic crossover which you need for the subs, I'd recommend crossing over at 100hz with the 24 db per octave LR crossover, and then applying Dirac Live after doing that.

Yes, a bigger room would be nice, but you'll go a long way toward taming things with a good crossover, better positioning on the main speakers, and good dsp to tame the worst sins of the subs.

You're still gonna excite room nodes, though just not as much.

OP
S

SadMonster

Iam not sure if i see this right? You have two subs and the speakers in the corners?

Nowhere else to put them ;[

But two subs sounds way better than 1 sub. 1 sub was super localizable and awful.

My subs are already cross overed - I kind of don't want to add another one, too complicated, I'm too dumb for that. Is there any way to just use the existing crossover?

Tom C

Major Contributor
You are in a good spot. Smaller is easier to handle than bigger, in some ways. Everything is a trade off.
Speaker placement is critical. Small movements will make big changes. Experiment. You have started with excellent equipment. Don’t let someone tell you to spend a bunch more money and get vastly better. That doesn’t exist.
Start by raising the speakers so that the center of the horns is just at ear level. Then try a little above. Then move the speakers in from the side walls, and maybe away from the front wall, toward your listening position.
You can do 5.1 if you like. There’s nothing preventing you. You might end up with wall mount or ceiling mount for the surrounds, but it can be done a piece at a time. Doesn’t have to be all at once.
The miniDSP is probably the most cost efficient, since you need both software and hardware (processor) to make it work.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Get a Monoprice HTP 1.
You should consider a 5.2.4 Atmos system. Add some broadband basstraps, get in contact with GIK for advice.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I may have been overly pessimistic earlier. But what are your room dimensions? Maybe it would be better to set up along the long wall? It may be possible to get the front speakers farther from the side walls that way.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Nowhere else to put them ;[

But two subs sounds way better than 1 sub. 1 sub was super localizable and awful.

My subs are already cross overed - I kind of don't want to add another one, too complicated, I'm too dumb for that. Is there any way to just use the existing crossover?

I see the problem, at least you not suffer from anemic bass. ;) So you tried eq'ing by hand?

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Hi, I am very dumb, and I need recommendations for the best easy to use Dirac Live Room Correction system to automatically improve the low end on my playback system.

Thanks guys I love speakers uwu

I have a stereo system with stereo subwoofers getting signal from an optical cable.

Nad T758 V3. Review here was bad, but for as low as 1000€ it is good value as you get a full AVR. Dirac full frequency costs you extra. The MiniDSP options are the cheapest standalone deal, while you could go even cheaper if you were willing to use a PC as only source and do software Dirac via a VST plugin which means you need to enjoy messing around with Windows and software.

Tom C

Major Contributor
One decision you’ll have to make is whether you want to run stereo or mono to the subs. If you have a SW, LFE or x.1 output from your preamp or DAC, you will be able to send the same signal to both subwoofers, which is the most effective way to tame low frequency room modes. If you don’t have that, you’ll need a processor like miniDSP, PC based sound card, or similar to create one. An alternative is to use the subwoofers as a stereo pair, effectively creating a three-way right and left speaker. If you’re only playing 2.0 stereo, this could be a pretty good option.
I would consider starting by measuring your room. You’ll have to have that information in order to generate the filters you would use for room correction anyway. Your speakers have some basic filters built into them, and depending on what you find when you measure your room, and what you decide your goals are, you might be able to get reasonable results just using the options you already have built into the speakers. That’d save you the cost of the miniDSP or similar processor.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with @Tom C
The room is the first acoustic element in your set-up. So even before spending your first Dollar, you can imagine the best placement for your set-up.
How does it (your room) sound when you clap your hands ?
Then you would look for a balanced/natural sound. Not bass over helming. This will lead to correct speaker placement.
Then listening distance, toeing-in. Best with Pink noise. Then listen to recordings you know well.
Then you can start with the room correction ... IMHO.

OP
S

SadMonster

Room dimensions are 100x100 with 75 height.

I've tried moving the speakers away from the walls and have listened to a few other hifi systems and headphones and stuff but this room is too small, I don't think it's worth shrinking the soundstage for better frequency response measurements - especially when I can to some extent EQ down the room gains.

My JBL 705 even have pretty advanced EQ options built into it, able to run multiple parametric EQ adjustments with adjustable Q and DB values! So I was thinking it would be a waste not to use these controls, so I'm going to just have to learn how to use a UMIK-1 and Room Equalizer Wizard. It's going to be a bit of a pain since I don't have a laptop and I will have to drag out my desktop computer and hook it up to my speakers, but I think it must be done, and will be a worthwhile upgrade for the $100 of a UMIK.

Top Bottom