• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ductless AC unit in speaker room ?

Tachyon88

I just put my speakers on proper speaker stands in my room to eliminate rattles from the ghetto shelf they were on and thought about the potential case for rattles from a wall mounted split ac unit.

Has anyone who is using a ductless ac unit in their speaker room had a problem with vibrations from the unit while playing music ?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but the fan noise is your problem

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a mini-split high up on a wall in my big listening room. The compressor is on a roof just adjacent (outside) and occasionally I get 'rumbles' from it during startup loads, tho very minimal.
Fan noise is the real issue, and that likely varies a lot from one mfgr to another.
The original unit there was a mitusbishi, and IRCC, that had a dead silent (low cool) mode; the much cheaper one I replaced it with is also pretty quiet, and has a 'smart cool' feature which moves the vanes around at random, and can be combined with a quiet mode.
Still, at it's quietest, far louder than the super quiet fans in my rack.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I use a minisplit and have heard no rattles. It is fairly heavy and mounted well. It also has a "quiet" mode so is not noticeable (to me anyway) with that engaged.

OP
Tachyon88

Tachyon88

I have a mini-split high up on a wall in my big listening room. The compressor is on a roof just adjacent (outside) and occasionally I get 'rumbles' from it during startup loads, tho very minimal.
Fan noise is the real issue, and that likely varies a lot from one mfgr to another.
The original unit there was a mitusbishi, and IRCC, that had a dead silent (low cool) mode; the much cheaper one I replaced it with is also pretty quiet, and has a 'smart cool' feature which moves the vanes around at random, and can be combined with a quiet mode.
Still, at it's quietest, far louder than the super quiet fans in my rack.

Right on. The unit I want says its as quiet as 19db. The lowest setting should be more than sufficient for my room.

I just hope there are not points in the unit that will rattle when I'm pumping the bass !

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hah! Good point! Mine is at least mounted high on the wall, so not so close to the most resonant prone section of the framing!
Use those really good long Spax lag bolts to mount it, and you should be fine.
A lot of 'everything' else in my room rattles, though - can't keep stuff on shelves, let alone on top of the speakers:)
Yah, based on how quiet my 15 yr old unit is, I'd bet the newest ones are super super quiet - when told to be.

Top Bottom