• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Mono TPA3221 : pictures insides

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Here a short review about the brand new TPA3221 :

Setup :

DAC : Gustard X16
Amp 1 : Hypex NC252MP
Amp 3 : Dual TPA3221 / OPA1652 (stock PSU 15V / 7a + FX Audio 24V / 4A PSU)
Amp 4 : HanZao TPA3255 / OPA1692 + Shui Yuan OPA1656
Playlist : HD audio via LDAC BT

Indroduction :
This dual TPA3221 is really small about 134x59x90mm, compared to the Aiyima A04 for example : 150X92x40mm.
The case is a full alu black enclosure, it's still pretty basic but rather robust. The connectors are pretty good and seem solid.

Under the Case, we therefore discover two distinct TPA3221 boards with a really surprising PCB. I would say the components seem to be of good quality
We see some Samsung FC power caps 35V@ 1800uf / Evox Film caps / Elna Audio caps / OPA1656.

The spec of the TPA3221 are available here otherwise:

TPA3221 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com).

I did not measure the amp but in Living room (30m²) with my 2.5 floor speakers, the power is more than enough to drive my speakers under 8 ohms with a more than comfortable volume even with the stock PSU.

I made a 1h30 listening test yesterday VS my other amps and here are my observations with my favorite Playlist :

Bass :
Complex song : Downtown (Yellowjackets & WDR) : The bass is very well maintained, it is precise and it does not drool. Blindfolded, it is very difficult to perceive a difference in the human ear vs my Hypex NC252. Although I'm convinced the Hypex is better on paper. With the 24V PSU we gain slightly in power but it's also really good with the stock PSU. I hope that future reviews will confirm my opinion but the bass is tight and very present despite its small size)

Medium :
Audiophila Master CD18 : Voices stand out very well from the mix, they are well put forward. I found a very silky side in the mids, the amp is closer to the TPA3255 Hanzao / OPA1692 than to the Shui Huan OPA1656. I find my Hypex NC252 better in this register, however. Either way, I didn't find listening tiring.I let myself be carried away by the softness of the amp without any problem.

Trebles :
Being a drummer, I am particularly sensitive to this point. I used to collect cymbals and have a ticklish ear lol ) With the Drum Collections HD files : I found it to be very good, the rides are subtle, the crashes stand out without aggressiveness (I use a ribbon tweeter). Compared to my Hypex NC252, frankly it's quite impressive! We tickle his performance level. Overall very good behavior in the treble.

Soundstage :
Impressive! I have always found that dual mono configurations were more interesting on this point.
Audiophila Master CD 17 : Everything is well detached, the instruments are well distributed.
We find the signature of the TPA chips, it's as good as my TPA3255. I have always liked the TPA325X regarding the Soundstage and I am not disappointed here.

Negative points :
- The volume is reversed, we increase by going to the left) (can be corrected easily anyway)
- I would have preferred a Power Switch on the front for accessibility reasons
- With the 24V PSU, a tiny Pop sound when Switching ON only. Nothing to complain with the 15V.
- A strange behavior that I also observed: the start sequence is important here: I have to turn on my DAC before the amp otherwise I have a marked pop.
- No DIP8 op amps socket but OPA1652 seem really good !

Conclusion :
I paid the amp 56 euros ! It is a little bomb for this price : it is a small / compact and sounds very good. He does not blush in front of my Hypex and he will convince most ears. It lacks a bit of power it's true! But for a listening at moderate volume it is enough believe me! It is not at the level of my Purifi that is about 20X more expensive)))
At this price you will not take any risks! I think this little dual Mono TPA3221 is a great choice for less fortunate wallets.

VIDEO :

https://streamable.com/yy8p0g
https://streamable.com/vekq1h

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
At this price is a real bargain !

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you Daniboun for this review.

Currently I have the Shui Yuan with OP OPA1692, I am waiting for the 2 large Nichicon condos of greater capacity. I am quite satisfied with it. I bought it from a friend, he finds it really good.

Now this one, the 3221 in dual mono, the price is really good. I'm curious.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Currently I have the Shui Yuan with OP OPA1692, I am waiting for the 2 large Nichicon condos of greater capacity. I am quite satisfied with it. I bought it from a friend, he finds it really good.

Nice, I own The Shui Yuan, the HanZao TPA3255 and this last Dual TPA3221. All these amps really worth the while @ such a price !
If you are on a budget, they are a real good deal !

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Pay attention about the Shui Yuan : Power caps can't be bigger than 20mm ) I am using Nichicon KZ caps

IMG-20210129-232329.jpg

ModDIY

Yes thank you for mentioning it.

I had already read your comment about it. I am using a 36v SMPS which I adjust to 40vdc. I chose 50vdc Nichicon 4700uf. As you mentioned, 40v and less no problem with 50vdc condos.

I am not very knowledgeable in the series of condos, I know that the ideal is a low ESR. What do you think of this Nichicon condos?

Nichicon UKT1H472MRD 4700uf 50v

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nichicon > UKT General Audio, Wide Temperature (UKA higher audio quality)
UKZ > Premium Audio

john11

Hi amigos,

Here a short review about the brand new TPA3221 :

Setup :

DAC : Gustard X16
Amp 1 : Hypex NC252MP
Amp 3 : Dual TPA3221 / OPA1652 (stock PSU 15V / 7a + FX Audio 24V / 4A PSU)
Amp 4 : HanZao TPA3255 / OPA1692 + Shui Yuan OPA1656
Playlist : HD audio via LDAC BT

Indroduction :
This dual TPA3221 is really small about 134x59x90mm, compared to the Aiyima A04 for example : 150X92x40mm.
The case is a full alu black enclosure, it's still pretty basic but rather robust. The connectors are pretty good and seem solid.

Under the Case, we therefore discover two distinct TPA3221 boards with a really surprising PCB. I would say the components seem to be of good quality
We see some Samsung FC power caps 35V@ 1800uf / Evox Film caps / Elna Audio caps / OPA1656.

The spec of the TPA3221 are available here otherwise:

TPA3221 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com).

I did not measure the amp but in Living room (30m²) with my 2.5 floor speakers, the power is more than enough to drive my speakers under 8 ohms with a more than comfortable volume even with the stock PSU.

I made a 1h30 listening test yesterday VS my other amps and here are my observations with my favorite Playlist :

Bass :
Complex song : Downtown (Yellowjackets & WDR) : The bass is very well maintained, it is precise and it does not drool. Blindfolded, it is very difficult to perceive a difference in the human ear vs my Hypex NC252. Although I'm convinced the Hypex is better on paper. With the 24V PSU we gain slightly in power but it's also really good with the stock PSU. I hope that future reviews will confirm my opinion but the bass is tight and very present despite its small size)

Medium :
Audiophila Master CD18 : Voices stand out very well from the mix, they are well put forward. I found a very silky side in the mids, the amp is closer to the TPA3255 Hanzao / OPA1692 than to the Shui Huan OPA1656. I find my Hypex NC252 better in this register, however. Either way, I didn't find listening tiring.I let myself be carried away by the softness of the amp without any problem.

Trebles :
Being a drummer, I am particularly sensitive to this point. I used to collect cymbals and have a ticklish ear lol ) With the Drum Collections HD files : I found it to be very good, the rides are subtle, the crashes stand out without aggressiveness (I use a ribbon tweeter). Compared to my Hypex NC252, frankly it's quite impressive! We tickle his performance level. Overall very good behavior in the treble.

Soundstage :
Impressive! I have always found that dual mono configurations were more interesting on this point.
Audiophila Master CD 17 : Everything is well detached, the instruments are well distributed.
We find the signature of the TPA chips, it's as good as my TPA3255. I have always liked the TPA325X regarding the Soundstage and I am not disappointed here.

Negative points :
- The volume is reversed, we increase by going to the left) (can be corrected easily anyway)
- I would have preferred a Power Switch on the front for accessibility reasons
- With the 24V PSU, a tiny Pop sound when Switching ON only. Nothing to complain with the 15V.
- A strange behavior that I also observed: the start sequence is important here: I have to turn on my DAC before the amp otherwise I have a marked pop.
- No DIP8 op amps socket but OPA1652 seem really good !

Conclusion :
I paid the amp 56 euros ! It is a little bomb for this price : it is a small / compact and sounds very good. He does not blush in front of my Hypex and he will convince most ears. It lacks a bit of power it's true! But for a listening at moderate volume it is enough believe me! It is not at the level of my Purifi that is about 20X more expensive)))
At this price you will not take any risks! I think this little dual Mono TPA3221 is a great choice for less fortunate wallets.

VIDEO :

https://streamable.com/yy8p0g
https://streamable.com/vekq1h

I like the dual mono configuration. At the moment am looking at this or the aiyima a08. Which would you think as the better sound quality unit.

ModDIY

Hi,

I ordered the dual fr on aliExpress. I will do a little review after the reception.

I will compare it to a few class D and AB amps I own.(Sabaj A30a, A20a 2019, TPA3255, MX50X2 AB).

john11

Hi,

I ordered the dual fr on aliExpress. I will do a little review after the reception.

I will compare it to a few class D and AB amps I own.(Sabaj A30a, A20a 2019, TPA3255, MX50X2 AB).

Don't bother, just get the hypex 121mp, much better than any tpa based amp

ModDIY

Don't bother, just get the hypex 121mp, much better than any tpa based amp

Too late it is ordered. ;)

The amp will be used in my office. The small TPA3221 is simply curiosity.

My other TPA are not used. I prefer Infineon over TPAs, like Sabaj A20a 2019 (double MA12070).

Don't worry, I use a Sabaj A30a on my main audio system.

john11

Send it back, get the hypex. I have had so many tpa amps, hypex is much better, price is similar

ModDIY

This TPA3221 will be plugged in occasionally in the office or garage.

I just told you that I use a Sabaj A30a which is far superior to the TPA32xx...you have given us your opinion and thank you.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Pay attention about the Shui Yuan : Power caps can't be bigger than 20mm ) I am using Nichicon KZ caps

IMG-20210129-232329.jpg
Did you experience any difference in dynamics with these capacitor mod ? Is this card a good sounding one, free from popping sound when you turn it on / off ?

ModDIY

Did you experience any difference in dynamics with these capacitor mod ? Is this card a good sounding one, free from popping sound when you turn it on / off ?

I own this amp. I changed the 2 power supply capacitors and the 2 OPs for OPA1692. The change of the 2 caps improves the dynamics a little, it is especially the change of the 2 OP which brings the most improvement. This amp pops. I added a 10uf (memory value) electrolytic capacitor on the reset, that fixes the problem. Otherwise I was disappointed with the musicality, I expected more.

Top Bottom