• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual DA10004D Review (Car Amplifier)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If we make advance arrangement I can turn it around quickly.
Maybe once it gets cooler in Phoenix and I can ride my motorcycle to and from work. That way I can pull the amps for a week to send to you.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe once it gets cooler in Phoenix and I can ride my motorcycle to and from work. That way I can pull the amps for a week to send to you.
Does it ever get that cool in Phoenix??:mad:

Jdunk54nl

Does it ever get that cool in Phoenix??:mad:
LOL!
The weather (~September to ~June) is why I currently won't move from Phoenix. Beautiful riding weather. My motorcycle turns into my main mode of transportation during those months!

Ultimately though, If I send it to Amir, will depend on if one of my local friends with audio precision devices can measure it or not. They are setup for car audio so just a matter of doing it, and doing it properly.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Every time I see this thread I think about the Burmester system in my wife's car and shake my head at the absurdity of it.
:facepalm:

And the automobile is a ___________?

jannek

I think Mercedes Benz has a Burmester branding of its Sound System. I once saw a picture of the speaker hiding behind the speaker cover... I think the cover was a lot more expensive than the speaker itself. :facepalm:
The only OEM sound system I heard of to be of good quality is that of Volvo... But I never heard it myself. And I doubt that it uses its full potential because a time correction/ level matching/ EQ which is the optimum for the drivers seat is a desaster for the other seats. So mostly OEMs are doing compromises which sort of work for all places. But this way you never get proper frontstaging and instrument localization.

Vict0r

I think Mercedes Benz has a Burmester branding of its Sound System. I once saw a picture of the speaker hiding behind the speaker cover... I think the cover was a lot more expensive than the speaker itself. :facepalm:
The only OEM sound system I heard of to be of good quality is that of Volvo... But I never heard it myself. And I doubt that it uses its full potential because a time correction/ level matching/ EQ which is the optimum for the drivers seat is a desaster for the other seats. So mostly OEMs are doing compromises which sort of work for all places. But this way you never get proper frontstaging and instrument localization.

I agree. The 2020 Volvo XC90, for example, has stellar in-car sound for an OEM build.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. The 2020 Volvo XC90, for example, has stellar in-car sound for an OEM build.
My wife's previous vehicle was a 2014 XC60. Its sound system was very good; certainly not inferior to the Burmester in her new Mercedes.

JWAmerica

The default sound of my late model Lincoln Town Car is very low-mid heavy, but I was nonetheless impressed with Ford engineering. It is clean all the way to maximum volume and the two way door speakers (cheap 4" "woofer" and 3/4" tweeter on a plate) were mounted in their own sealed enclosure. I suspect it helps that the car is heavily damped by well insulated doors and plush seats. A new head unit and class D amp are in its future.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only the best class D amplifiers for home use have post filter feedback to deal with this. Will have to test high-end car class D amps to see if any of them do the same.
Alpine was doing that, a buddy of mine worked on it. They extended the feedback loop out past the passive lowpass filters. Vaguely like Kenwood's Sigma Drive kinda sorta...maybe not really. Not sure why everyone doesn't do it; I suppose it is tricky. Not sure if they are still doing that.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power drops a lot with 8 ohm though due to power supply voltage being too low:
?!? The power is a bit more than 1/2 the 4 ohm power: er, isn't that expected? What am I missing here?

As a longtime car audio nut I applaud the decision to test car stuff! And nice battery.
- Any thought to make semi-inductive/semi-capacitive loads? (Like to test at say 80 Hz fixed). Way back when we tested different amps with the Power Cube, some amps that measured similar with resistors would just die into phase angles.
- I'm very curious how head units' linearity is these days, out of their preouts and out of their power amp sections.
- I'd also think a dedicated car audio section would be warranted.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
?!? The power is a bit more than 1/2 the 4 ohm power: er, isn't that expected? What am I missing here?

As a longtime car audio nut I applaud the decision to test car stuff! And nice battery.
- Any thought to make semi-inductive/semi-capacitive loads? (Like to test at say 80 Hz fixed). Way back when we tested different amps with the Power Cube, some amps that measured similar with resistors would just die into phase angles.
- I'm very curious how head units' linearity is these days, out of their preouts and out of their power amp sections.
- I'd also think a dedicated car audio section would be warranted.

I have three current model Kenwood's, Pioneer x6700bhs and a Typical android head unit.(JUNK)
Happy to help if requested.

(JVC Kameleon Head Unit Not available for testing at the current time)
1629756852464.png

FX5a NOS. never used. From late 90''s I think.
1629756735144.png

Exlon KDC x399
1629756759228.png

KMM bt 322u
1629756817959.png

Not Pictured but of little interest I think to others as availability is scarce or superceded.
Pioneer x6700Bhs,

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Alpine was doing that, a buddy of mine worked on it. They extended the feedback loop out past the passive lowpass filters. Vaguely like Kenwood's Sigma Drive kinda sorta...maybe not really. Not sure why everyone doesn't do it; I suppose it is tricky. Not sure if they are still doing that.
It is very easy to get stability problems causing oscillation. So yes, it is very tricky!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Usually amplifiers are current limited so 4 ohm doesn't do twice as much as 8 ohm. You are voltage limited when the 8 ohm can't do more (reverse logic).

Dumdum

Be real interesting to see those monstrous multi-KW class D sub amps on test here. Those things have a bizarre tendency to blow up - judging by how much work that dude BareVids on youtube has.
Sam is one of two guys in the U.K. who mends such amps, and big unsupported boards on a poorly made box (most of the U.K. enclosures) don’t fair very well, so Sam has a fair few to repair being the longest standing guy in the U.K. mending them…

GimeDsp

AMAZING how well this one performed compared to the kicker I sent in. I think Amir can really do a good service if more people send in auto stuff.
Thanks Amir!

Jdunk54nl

He will have my alpine pdx v9, f6, and a nvx m2 on Wednesday.

Top Bottom