• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT770 for £99 or not (have Pro82 v1)?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So Amazon UK aren't exactly expensive for the Beyerdynamic DT770, 880 or 990 range. The worst they get to is £125, and mostly it's just a little over a square £100.
With all of the reading I did before, I still can't get the Beyers out of my mind.
I'm thinking the DT770 closed back 250 ohm would be preferable, having a finer/more resolving presentation rather than the 80 ohm. They'll only get better with a headphone amplifier, rather than onboard audio from the 1220 Realtek.

I understand the Beyers to have a bright sound, whilst it makes the soundstage wide, especially for a closed-back, I am not a huge fan of too much top end and upper mid. Saying that, I don't like the murky blanket-over-speakers sound either.

I very much think I have the Takstar Pro 82 v1 (white box, blue ring on driver, long 2m+ cable with metal plug w/spring end) and I think these sound fine, decent, adequate.
I have had to EQ, and I think I'm settling on this setup using APO EQ which seems to sound about 'right'. Bass ports are kept closed. I should also add that there sounds like more bass coming from my motherboard than from a Kindle Fire 2019 I have, so there is some effect of the amp/output impedance there.
FYI, I have dropped the overall gain -6 dB, so it's not actually clipping!

1574805225294.png

I guess I should just go and find a store that might have the Beyers in stock and give 'em a try/compare - like I keep telling myself. An annoyance is that I have no issue with a little EQ to adjust to my liking. If I didn't tame the 9.5 kHz on these Pro82s, it would get annoying. I don't think I read the Beyers as being 'peaky', but some broader taming of the 'Beyer mountain' might be useful. I wont get away with taking my desktop PC into a shop! Hahaha.

BigJim79

Hey, I have the V1 Pro 82's (White Box). They are very good headphones for the money, unsure about the DT770's, but ref the treble on the Pro82's is a bit less detailed than some of my other ones, so if its treble you want I expect the Beyers would suit.
I myself wanted open headphones this time, so ordered the HE4XX at £126 which I think should keep me happy for a month or so!
The Pro82's are seriously good though, separation is far better than it should be at their price point.
Do post up how you find the 770's though, I was looking at the DT880's (600) before I ordered the Hifiman's.
Jim.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My 0.02:

DT770 has elevated and (to me) one-note resonating bass. Have to admit it took me a while before I noticed and sold it.
Had a DT770 and DT880 twice and sold them twice.
DT770 has elevated treble that can be sibilant.

Pro82 is quite neutral (in lowest bass setting). The older ones have less treble quality but lack details/nuances (finesse).
The V2 is better in the treble quantity but this one too has less treble quality but at least is not piercing (v1 also not piercing) like the DT770.

Some toilet paper helps against the Beyer Treble peak and makes the treble quality better than Pro82.
My personal opinion...

Both headphones have some decent qualities as well.

I recommend to try the DT770... you might like it, might not depending on treble allergies one may have.

OP
L5730

L5730

@solderdude thanks for your great input, again!

@BigJim79 sure, I am not saying the Pro82 v1 sound bad. They sound pretty decent, but I don't have a metric to compare them against, other than stuff that is firmly in the 'crap' class of headphones/earbuds.

I think I am falling into the pit that many of us do. Getting a bout of gear acquisition syndrome.
Because I spent a lot of time lumbering over the idea of the Beyer. DT770 for closed backs, or Senn. HD280 (too tight?) I can't help but wonder if they may offer me more [insert positive expression].

Moving on from the, lets call it "reasonable", onboard output to a dedicated amplifier and DAC or combo* might bring in a little increase in outright fidelity, but it has been stated that the Pro82 v1 is not as resolving as the Pro82 v2 and there are more resolving options like the Beyer.
For what it's worth, I did find the spike around 9.5 kHz irritating and it seems to persist when I plug into the Kindle Fire tablet, so I'd imagine the Beyers would be very hard to handle for me, without modification or EQ.

* another Topping D10 (separate software DSP EQ, no need for a switch) + JDS Labs Atom or equivalent amp.
or Sabaj Da3, or Topping Dx3Pro, or something else ...

I suppose, because I didn't put on the Pro82 and think "wow" I am somehow thinking I want to find something that will do that. But has been discussed many times, that initial "wow" factor often turns into a "problem" as more time is spent. That's probably mostly it. I'm not hearing anything that I think "urgh, I wish there was more/less of that", with the exception of recordings being better laid out for headphones - the band sound like they are on either side of my head quite often!

To do: Get off bum. Find an outlet to try Beyers. Upgrade headphone source chain.

OP
L5730

L5730

Not wanting to really resurrect, but I feel that now the EQ choice has changed, due to DAC/amp.

The above is for these same headphones from the motherboard Realtek ALC1220. It's a fine enough sound without comparison, but sounded a little boomy and lacked some refinement up top.

Since getting a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, I do not need any EQ on the low end at all, but have just adjusted the upper mid/presence area down to smooth things out. Now, I agree more with other people's perception of a slightly elevated brightness that can border on fatiguing. In addition, the new DAC/amp is allowing me to hear distortions on recordings that I didn't notice before. Modern music is sounding crappier again :p

1599831293828.png

I'm sure I'll still fiddle and refine, but this takes the scratchy edge off, makes it smoother.

This is with the v1 Pro82, with the 'less refined' driver. For £80 with the DAC/amp, it sounds very pleasant.

Top Bottom