• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT1990 replacement ideas

geneX

Good evening people,

Currently I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC with DT1990's but I feel like it's time to upgrade my headphones. I have done some scouting around the internet and of course the forum for a set of cans I don't want to replace anymore after I bought them. So what would you guys choose to pair up with my ADI-2? I'm currently leaning towards the Sennheiser HD800s, but open for suggestions :)

3125b

Major Contributor
The ADI-2 can drive just about any headphone perfectly well, so that‘s not gonna limit your selection. It offers PEQ and some other DSP functions, but if you use a computer as a source you have even more options in that regard anyway.
There are many good headphones out there, especially with that kind of budget. Could you be more specific about what you are looking for? Wich headphones have you auditioned so far, what did you like about them? What don‘t you like about the 1990 (anymore)?

OP
G

geneX

The main reason I want to replace the DT's is because I upgraded my DAC to the ADI-2 and I feel like I should upgrade my headphones too. Some times the only reason you need is just wanting something badly, I geuss this is one of those times.

My current headphones sound amazing, I geuss now I'm looking for the ones that will blow my mind. I could try to explain in more detail, but I'm not a expert in doing so. Also I have not been able to test other headphones, all the shops are closed and if I go I would like to get some proper choices to listen to :)

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He6 reviewed here is great so think he6se should do great too. There was a time hifiman he6se went on sale for around $700 or $800 new. If you find that price it is a good deal. I have HD800 with eq, it is really a good headphone with a huge soundstage. HD800 or S or 8XX are similar so you can find one that is the cheapest. Others like Focal Clear, hifiman HE1000 or Arya, or electrostatic are worth a look, but don't only listen to subjective people as there are a lot of snakeoil from them.

OP
G

geneX

He6 reviewed here is great so think he6se should do great too. There was a time hifiman he6se went on sale for around $700 or $800 new. If you find that price it is a good deal. I have HD800 with eq, it is really a good headphone with a huge soundstage. HD800 or S or 8XX are similar so you can find one that is the cheapest. Others like Focal Clear, hifiman HE1000 or Arya, or electrostatic are worth a look, but don't only listen to subjective people as there are a lot of snakeoil from them.

Thanks for the replies :) Really have been doing some more digging and looking around for choices, there are a few stores which have a nice selection and I will go and listen to some different headphones before I buy them. I'm certainly considering Hifimans, Goldplanars, SONY Z1R, ATH-ADX500 and a few others I'm curious about. It's going to be more or less of a gift for me and I want it to be one I'm not going to regret (as in I would've wished for another pair). So I'm not looking for the best deal, just looking for the best sound :)

Paperdragons

Good evening people,

Currently I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC with DT1990's but I feel like it's time to upgrade my headphones. I have done some scouting around the internet and of course the forum for a set of cans I don't want to replace anymore after I bought them. So what would you guys choose to pair up with my ADI-2? I'm currently leaning towards the Sennheiser HD800s, but open for suggestions :)
Late response, sorry;

The HD 800s are cool and plenty of people love them. As someone who has had experience with both the 800s and the dt 1990s, I would caution considering it an upgrade. The 800s sound very similar to the 1990s with analytical pads. The main differences are:
1. A larger soundstage on the 800s.
2. Slightly less sharp sibilance but less air on the 800s
3. Significantly worse bass performance on the 800s.

I'd consider the 800s a side grade. They both have a competitive take on diffuse field tuning and have similar detail. I'd say the 800s has very slightly more detail in the mids and treble, but the 1990s completely destroy the 800s bass. The extension is a significant upgrade as this is a major weakness of the 800s. The soundstage is pretty great on 800s and the comfort is better in stock form. If you really like bright headphones (sounds like you do) I would consider the hifiman arya as it goes for similar money and has a better FR and overall performance. The build is worse than both the 800s and 1990 but it sounds better to me.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I daily drive empyreans and verites because my FR preferences are much warmer than I thought when I got into the hobby.

I have the 1990's and like them a lot. However for listening to music, the Focal Clear MG Pro's are a clear step up. They offer great detail while providing a very even sound with low's mids, and highs. They are also very well made, they look great with the red cushion pads, and are comfortable to ear. I agree with the comparison between the 1990's and 800S's. The soundstage is huge on the 800S's but its a little too big and un-natural.

Top Bottom