• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT1770/DT1990 or Amiron?

Noodles

FR is only half the picture. I've only heard the dt770 and no there are no piercing S there but the treble was a bit much for me.
1770 were very shouty, could be my amp at the time (AAA 789).
If you can - go try them in a shop. Alternatively get them from a place that you can return with no issues.

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

Good advice. People complain on bright grados. For me they sound warm and engaging

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you can't hear sibilance on the DT770 nor Grado's you probably won't hear it on the DT1770 either.
Some folks aren't bothered by the peaks.

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

Usually listen to rock/folk/country.not so bright music

Noodles

Lower model Grados are actually quite fine. Yours are right at the crossing point into brighter Grados. Usually SR225-325 is the point above which they become quite ... much.
What i've found with my limited Grado experience (admittedly i do not like them for the build) is that the lower the model the more listenable they are. SR80 is probably the most balanced of the bunch.

Noodles

Usually listen to rock/folk/country.not so bright music
If you are fixated on Beyers, i think either the 1990 or Amiron is what you would be looking for. Leaning towards Amiron.
If you have an amp that has >50ohm output impedance - you should also check the 600ohm Beyer DT880

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

Fixed on beyer cause I own dt770(buyed 2017) and t51i(buyed 2014).sounds great, good built.will probely last for decades.
in 2016 i buyed BW P7, both drivers broke. repair on warranty. then sold. tryed Meze 99 C for 2 months ago. sound like shit and poor build quality. not assembled very well. loose parts. returnd to dealer.

so if i buy beyer again.,know it is good stuff.
but people says also HD-650/6XX is good

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 22273

have about 1ohm output impedance. (schiit magni 3)

Last edited by a moderator:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just make sure you can return it and get your money back.
The ssss's can be cured without sacrificing clarity/tonality if needed.
If you can also try to audition (with possibility to return) the HD650 or HD560S that may be a good thing to make up your own mind.

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

had a short visit today at my local hifi shop.
they only had amiron.
took a quick look.
build ok. quality plastic.
bright? not at all. a lot of bass. not too much like meze 99.
but a lot more than 225e and dt770.dragonfly red was not powerful. they should have somthing more powerful.
think i can like them.

Noodles

They are a nice pick, dragonfly won't be able to drive them as they are 250 ohm, but your magni will do a good job.

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

first the guy give me a ipad mini.first i tought this was for remote.
but no.ask if he has somthing more powerful. he gave me the dragonfly.better. but he also have a rega io. I don't mentioned that.the io should probly drive it well.
this is a hifi store

OP
D

Deleted member 22273

not sure if amiron is my taste. too much clubsound.
another dealer can sell me a pair of grado ps500 for almost half prise.like new

Top Bottom