• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT 990 250/600 Ohm KILLING my ears!

audiofilet

I did a bunch of research before buying these headphones and many people have warned me about this "beyerpeak" and sharp treble, but I wouldn't listen.

DAC: (interface) Steinberg UR22 mk2
Amp: JDS Labs EL
Sources: 96-128khz/24bit FLAC - classical, rock, hiphop, orchestral score, neo instrumentals etc. (I've literally tried everything)

Now let me describe the feeling during sections with prominent highs:

It's not like fingers on a chalkboard, because the sound and pain don't occur at the same time.
I feel pain at around 2-3 seconds after the treble. It's like a very thin needle is being inserted into my ear canal, extremely painful.
Another thing I'm noticing is that I only feel this extremely sharp pain in my right ear, while the left is perfectly fine.

The most concerning part is that this feeling of pain persists for a couple of days and is usually accompanied by tinnitus.

It's so bad that I honestly believe Beyerdynamic needs to print a disclaimer on the box, because this can't be normal.

EQing those upper frequencies way down fixes it, but I still returned them. Next time I will listen to the community, if I still can.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I did a bunch of research before buying these headphones and many people have warned me about this "beyerpeak" and sharp treble, but I wouldn't listen.

DAC: (interface) Steinberg UR22 mk2
Amp: JDS Labs EL
Sources: 96-128khz/24bit FLAC - classical, rock, hiphop, orchestral score, neo instrumentals etc. (I've literally tried everything)

Now let me describe the feeling during sections with prominent highs:

It's not like fingers on a chalkboard, because the sound and pain don't occur at the same time.
I feel pain at around 2-3 seconds after the treble. It's like a very thin needle is being inserted into my ear canal, extremely painful.
Another thing I'm noticing is that I only feel this extremely sharp pain in my right ear, while the left is perfectly fine.

The most concerning part is that this feeling of pain persists for a couple of days and is usually accompanied by tinnitus.

It's so bad that I honestly believe Beyerdynamic needs to print a disclaimer on the box, because this can't be normal.

EQing those upper frequencies way down fixes it, but I still returned them. Next time I will listen to the community, if I still can.

Maybe you should consult a medic?

Top Bottom