• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP in my system: how to (hardware and setup recommendation)

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

It's about time I start to play with DSP in my 2.0 system (integration with my AV 9.1.2 system will follow). Currently I have a Topping D90 DAC, a CD player and a turntable going into my Shiit Freya S preamp (set to active with 0 gain) and then to the power amp (Nord One NC500DM) via XLR and to my Revels F208.

I'd like to put the DSP between preamp and amp to correct all the sources including the turntable but I understand that doing so I'm converting analog to digital to analog again wasting the capabilities of the Topping upstream, so probably I'll need to put it before the DAC and take the turntable out of the equation. Are there better solutions to implement DSP for all the sources and what kind of hardware you suggest (MiniDSP?).
Thanks!

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
When you say correct, are you looking to add Dirac correction or just PEQ?

I would prefer Dirac but it can change as I might buy an Anthem AVR so that the AV System is ARC corrected and the stereo System is Dirac corrected. In reality that is going to be even more complicated. I would like to integrate my AV system (9.1.2) whatever it is (with Audissey or ARC or DIRAC) with my stereo system + 2 subwoofers (2.2) so that both the systems are corrected (AV and stereo). That means I should also find a way to share the subwoofers between the two systems.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hello,

It's about time I start to play with DSP in my 2.0 system (integration with my AV 9.1.2 system will follow). Currently I have a Topping D90 DAC, a CD player and a turntable going into my Shiit Freya S preamp (set to active with 0 gain) and then to the power amp (Nord One NC500DM) via XLR and to my Revels F208.

I'd like to put the DSP between preamp and amp to correct all the sources including the turntable but I understand that doing so I'm converting analog to digital to analog again wasting the capabilities of the Topping upstream, so probably I'll need to put it before the DAC and take the turntable out of the equation. Are there better solutions to implement DSP for all the sources and what kind of hardware you suggest (MiniDSP?).
Thanks!

You can add a dedicated ADC for your turntable and doing that you really shouldn't be concerned about audiblity as THD and SNR of turntable are far greater than what ADC will add. If all other sources are digital you can then add all-digital MinIDSP to handle DSP and route from it via SPDIF to your DAC.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
Not sure I can help, but I've added a DDRC24 (Dirac) at the end of the chain (RPi3>DAC>Preamp>DDRC24) out to 2.1. I think it sounds great and I don't get hung up on the whole analog to digital back to analog thing.

Reactions: mkt

QMuse

Major Contributor
I would prefer Dirac but it can change as I might buy an Anthem AVR so that the AV System is ARC corrected and the stereo System is Dirac corrected. In reality that is going to be even more complicated. I would like to integrate my AV system (9.1.2) whatever it is (with Audissey or ARC or DIRAC) with my stereo system + 2 subwoofers (2.2) so that both the systems are corrected (AV and stereo). That means I should also find a way to share the subwoofers between the two systems.

That won't work - if you choose to go via AVR route you'll get integrated EQ and bass management but you can ditch your D90.

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
Not considering the turntable, I would like to use the two subwoofers that I'm using for AV duties also for stereo. If I ditch the Freya I could do: digital sources ->Minidisp SHD Studio->Dac->L+R+Subwoofers and that would work for stereo but I don't see how to integrate it with the AV system.

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
Not sure I can help, but I've added a DDRC24 (Dirac) at the end of the chain (RPi3>DAC>Preamp>DDRC24) out to 2.1. I think it sounds great and I don't get hung up on the whole analog to digital back to analog thing.

But this way you are double converting like DAC->ADC->DAC?

Jake's Dad

Have you considered a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0? It does everything you are asking (between pre-amp and amp, can handle two speakers + two subs) and is said to do "bit-perfect" ADC/DAC conversion. FWIW, I've had mine for a few years, love it, and I definitely can a hear a (predictable) difference between an analog source like a turntable and a digital source. Highly recommended. Here's an ASR discussion: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dspeaker-anti-mode-2-0.2083/.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
Thanks all, need some time to digest it

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
But still I think the problem to integrate the AVR stays like 1) how to share the 2 subwoofers between the HR system and the stereo system 2) how to EQ both

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
The very expensive way would be to buy an Anthem avr or preprocessor and the Anthem STR preamp

Hipper

I would think you should invest in an AVR first and then build everything around that. Some AVRs have phono inputs for a turntable but if it doesn't all you need is a phono preamp.

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
I would think you should invest in an AVR first and then build everything around that. Some AVRs have phono inputs for a turntable but if it doesn't all you need is a phono preamp.

I already have a complete stereo system and a complete HR system, totally separate. What I want to do is update my rather old AVR and get rid of the LCR+surrounds I'm using with it, keep the Revel F208s I use for stereo and the 2 subwoofers I already have and buy a Revel center and surrounds.

The Anthem STR preamplifier provides HT Bypass functionality for both the front left and right channels as well as two subwoofers, and it has ARC.
So you can have the HT system EQ'd and the 2.2 system as well, sharing the fronts and the subwoofers. I'd like to replicate this solution with a cheaper one.

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
After a lot of research seems to me that the only point I'm unable to figure out is how to share subwoofers between the AV system and the stereo system. You would need a subwoofer with LFE inputs for AV and low level inputs for stereo, a way to disable internal crossover for both inputs and that could be connected to both without issues. Another way would be a 2 into 1 switch (xlr or LFE from AV and Xlr from minidisp SHD to the switch and then to the subwoofer). Another issue is that the minidisp SHD has no HT bypass so something that can be put between a pre (with HT bypass) and power amp is needed.

Willem

Major Contributor
You can add a dedicated ADC for your turntable and doing that you really shouldn't be concerned about audiblity as THD and SNR of turntable are far greater than what ADC will add. If all other sources are digital you can then add all-digital MinIDSP to handle DSP and route from it via SPDIF to your DAC.
My DAC/preamp is an RME ADI-2. The family insisted I keep the turntable, so I now use a Pro-ject Optical box E phono. This is a combined MM phono pre amp and ADC with optical output. It works a treat. I know vinyl lovers would be horrified, but I hear no evil.

OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
Turntable is not going to be a problem, I can use the phono inputs on the receiver. The real issue is how to share subwoofers. The REL ones have a low level input for LFE coming from the AVR (this one disables the internal crossover) and high level inputs that are supposed to be connected to the speaker outputs of the power amp, getting full range signal so you should use the subwoofer crossover. Not what I'm looking for, I'd need two low level inputs (one from the AVR and one from the preamp/minidisp) that can be both connected at the same time and both disable the subwoofer crossover (crossover would be managed by the minidisp on the stereo system and by Audissey/Dirac/Arc on the AVR). Maybe the easier solution is a switch like this one https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366

Last edited:
OP
carlob

carlob

Forum Donor
Nailed (hope so) Actually I think the DAC needs to be after the Minidsp and before the preamp, but otherwise it should work.

Attachments

• connessioni.png
    connessioni.png
    10 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Top Bottom