• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP Engine: Parametric equalizer - settings for Astell & Kern Pathfinder

TRDK

I am looking for DSP Engine: Parametric equalizer - settings for Astell & Kern Pathfinder

Thanks for any help :)

Torben

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can make you some. Do you have a Windows PC where you can use Equalizer Apo for A/Bing the presets? And do you already have a preferred target curve?

OP
TRDK

TRDK

I can make you some. Do you have a Windows PC where you can use Equalizer Apo for A/Bing the presets? And do you already have a preferred target curve?
THX - No to both, but BIG thanks. . I am NEW to this topic. I am looking for the settings for Roon.

Have been looking here:

But no luck.

PS: For my Meze Rai Penta I have found the settings :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
ok here's the thing:
there are four or five different measurements of the Pathfinder online, plus two or three target curves thst you could EQ to.
Ideally, you would have an EQ program where you can import a preset from a txt file with a single click.
That way, you can directly A/B different presets without a delay. This is important.
If instead you have to copy and paste about 30 different parameters per hand into your EQ program, then by the time you're done, you'll already have forgotten what the previous EQ sounded like.
I don't know if Roon has the ability to import PEQ presets from .txt
Equalizer Apo on the other hand has that option, plus it's free.
If you could get access to it, A/B the presets, find the one that sounds best, then copy that one preset into Roon, then that would be ideal.

OP
TRDK

TRDK

I just added these manually to Roon. And it sounds great :)

1669832363691.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
I've found three frequency response measurements of the Pathfinder online:
Astell Kern x Campfire Audio Pathfinder.png

I ran them all through the AutoEQ Python script. Two different frequency response targets were used:
Harman IE2019v2 vs personal IEM target (2).png
  • Harman IE2019v2 is the default target used by Amir, Dr. Sean Olive, oratory1990 etc.
    It has a bad reputation for being shouty though (too much 3-6kHz), which I agree with, so it's not my first choice or recommendation.
  • The static IEM target is Crinacle's IEF Neutral plus the bass shelf from the Monarch MKII. It's what sounds most neutral to my ears and what I recommend you try first.
All six presets (3 measurements * 2 targets) are attached to the post. The PEQ values that you have to copy into Roon are in the "[...] ParametricEQ.txt" files.
Keep in mind that some of the filters are High shelf or Low shelf, which you need to select in Roon.
The presets are designed for 44.1kHz sample rate. If your DSP runs at 96kHz or higher, then that will result in the filter response being off.

Attachments

• Pathfinder.zip
    306.5 KB · Views: 72
OP
TRDK

TRDK

I've found three frequency response measurements of the Pathfinder online:
View attachment 246838

I ran them all through the AutoEQ Python script. Two different frequency response targets were used:
View attachment 246839
  • Harman IE2019v2 is the default target used by Amir, Dr. Sean Olive, oratory1990 etc.
    It has a bad reputation for being shouty though (too much 3-6kHz), which I agree with, so it's not my first choice or recommendation.
  • The static IEM target is Crinacle's IEF Neutral plus the bass shelf from the Monarch MKII. It's what sounds most neutral to my ears and what I recommend you try first.
All six presets (3 measurements * 2 targets) are attached to the post. The PEQ values that you have to copy into Roon are in the "[...] ParametricEQ.txt" files.
Keep in mind that some of the filters are High shelf or Low shelf, which you need to select in Roon.
The presets are designed for 44.1kHz sample rate. If your DSP runs at 96kHz or higher, then that will result in the filter response being off.
BIG THANKS :) I will have look tomorrow :)

OP
TRDK

TRDK

@staticV3 Is "Pathfinder Super IEF" the Crinacle version? I prefer the Crinacle

PS: The small "challenge", with my Astell & Kern Pathfinder I mostly listen to high resolution.

Torben

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is "Pathfinder Super IEF" the Crinacle version?
Pathfinder Super IEF is Super* Review's measurement of the Pathfinder EQed to the red target in the frequency response target graph above.
I prefer the Crinacle
Me too :D
The small "challenge", with my Astell & Kern Pathfinder I mostly listen to high resolution.
I can redo the preset with another target sample rate. Is Super IEF the one you prefer? And what sample rates do you listen to the most?

OP
TRDK

TRDK

THX :) Just Crinacle :) That is the best! - Is "Super IEF = Crinacle"?

I have been told that Roon will take care of that by upsampling the filter to match the source rate.

Torben

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is "Super IEF = Crinacle"?
No.
"Pathfinder Super IEF" is Super* Review's measurement of the Pathfinder EQed to a modified version of Crinacle's IEF Neutral target with the bass response of the Monarch MKII added.

"Pathfinder" = IEM
"Super" = guy who measured the IEM, in this case Super* Review
"IEF" = abbreviation of the frequency response target

staticV3

Master Contributor
:) So this one?
I don't understand the question.
The preset selected in your screenshot, "Pathfinder Super IEF" is indeed the same as the "Pathfinder Super IEF" preset that I talked about above.
"Pathfinder Super IEF" = "Pathfinder Super IEF"

OP
TRDK

TRDK

Sorry for that. I am not sure which one to use. There are many codes.

If "Crinacle" is preferred (or close to) which code should I than use?

Again THX for your help - VERY nice of you :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ideally, try all six and keep the one you like best.
If you already know that Harman IE2019v2 is not for you, then you can discard those and only compare the three "IEF" presets.

OP
TRDK

TRDK

@staticV3 - Have done a lot of testing.

I think the best SQ comes from: "Pathfinder Super IE2019v2 - AVG ParametricEQ" (Preamp: -9.3 dB)

Pathfinder Super IE2019v2 - AVG ParametricEQ.jpg

1670229648771.png

Again thanks for help :)

Torben

Redmick1978

Hi there everyone,

I’ve recently purchased an A&K SP3000 with the Pathfinders. Does anyone have EQ settings for the 20 band EQ on the A&K for the Pathfinders. I’ve looked online but no luck.

Thanks,

Mike

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi there everyone,

I’ve recently purchased an A&K SP3000 with the Pathfinders. Does anyone have EQ settings for the 20 band EQ on the A&K for the Pathfinders. I’ve looked online but no luck.

Thanks,

Mike
If we know the Q value that the SP3000's GEQ uses, then we can generate an accurate EQ preset.

This needs to be measured.

Redmick1978

Ok thanks for the response.

i have no idea what that means. I‘ll try and look for the information.

Mike

Top Bottom