• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP crossover for Windows programs?

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to use my multi channel digital interface as a DSP crossover. I have multiple amplifiers and as many channels.

I see mentioned many places, people using their computers as filters, but nobody ever, ever, ever, says anywhere at all, what they're using. At least nothing I've seen. I know because I'd have the software they mentioned already if they did.

Is everyone lying? Does a program even exist? Yes, I've seen the pre alpha release of some garbage for foobar2000 made in 2000. I'm looking for something that actually works well - tells you the slope at the very least - preferably something with adjustable slope, level, and delay for each driver.

It doesn't have to be free. I'd pay a few hundred if it did its job well....

What's this unnamed software everyone is using with such great results?

OP
M

mike7877

What a coincidence, a thread from 2 hours ago. When were these programs made, 4 hours ago? If these check out, all I can say is F*****G FINALLY.

Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a coincidence, a thread from 2 hours ago. When were these programs made, 4 hours ago? If these check out, all I can say is F*****G FINALLY.

Thanks
I have not used them although I have been advised they are effective.

OP
M

mike7877

I have not used them although I have been advised they are effective.

I say "willing to spend a few hundred" and the only relevant link in the entire thread has a page with some software for 390 euros! Like 600 Canadian?!?! That's one hundred more than "few" into "many". Clearly they have a monopoly, otherwise it'd cost nowhere near as much. I'll have to think about it... the only way I'd spend that much is if they have a money back guarantee.

My interface has a low cut filter, 6, 12, 18, 24db slopes. Why couldn't they include a high pass with adjustable slope too? Lol. 600 dollars for the other half

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I say "willing to spend a few hundred" and the only relevant link in the entire thread has a page with some software for 390 euros! Like 600 Canadian?!?! That's one hundred more than "few" into "many". Clearly they have a monopoly, otherwise it'd cost nowhere near as much. I'll have to think about it... the only way I'd spend that much is if they have a money back guarantee
The pickings are slim for software crossover stuff.

OP
M

mike7877

The pickings are slim for software crossover stuff.

Well at least it exists now. I can't believe what they're charging. I'll buy it and 31 days later, one day after the return period, the same thing with a different name will be for sale for 19.99. I'm no programmer, but that's the cost the complexity of the software actually merits. I was half joking when I said a few hundred, only said it because previously it didn't exist at all, and dedicated hardware options have crap SNR and cost thousands

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well at least it exists now. I can't believe what they're charging. I'll buy it and 31 days later, one day after the return period, the same thing with a different name will be for sale for 19.99. I'm no programmer, but that's the cost the complexity of the software actually merits. I was half joking when I said a few hundred, only said it because previously it didn't exist at all, and dedicated hardware options have crap SNR and cost thousands
I used a decent car audio X-over to good success for one 3-way home audio system. It sounded fantastic. The price was fantastic too.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dephonica is freeware. It will implement the crossover you specify. Nothing fancy, but if you want a 3 way LR, or just something to cross over your sub, it will do it. No WDM driver, though. Need to use an ASIO connection to its ASIO sink driver.

There's also Ekio.

http://www.lupisoft.com/ekio/

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crossover filters are usually a niche, however you can generate them as .wav in rephase and import them in EqualizerAPO.

that’s what i use.

OP
M

mike7877

Dephonica is freeware. It will implement the crossover you specify. Nothing fancy, but if you want a 3 way LR, or just something to cross over your sub, it will do it. No WDM driver, though. Need to use an ASIO connection to its ASIO sink driver.

There's also Ekio.

http://www.lupisoft.com/ekio/

From Dephonica:
  • Amplitude and phase equalizers for arbitrary amplitude and phase response correction with data import features (from text file or from impulse response in WAV format)
The first speakers I'm going to do are 2 ways with 1 inch tweeters and a 5 1/4" effective diameter woofer (cone + 1/3 surround). The tweeter has an extremely strong magnet so it starts rolling off slowly at 1.5khz (~6db/oct) before its 12db/oct roll off at about 750hz.

Because my target crossover point is between 1.2 and 1.4khz, I need to flatten the tweeter's response down to 6-700hz before I apply the final crossover filter. This will require a ~6db boost at 750hz, gradually lessening to 0db at 1.5khz.

I'm using a low crossover point to achieve the flattest power response possible. Fortunately the tweeter is very clean and it has a 0.5mm xmax. The acoustic crossover I want to end up with is a 3rd order butterworth. Configured this way I won't drive them hard.

In your experience, is what I described possible with Dephonica?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From Dephonica:
  • Amplitude and phase equalizers for arbitrary amplitude and phase response correction with data import features (from text file or from impulse response in WAV format)
The first speakers I'm going to do are 2 ways with 1 inch tweeters and a 5 1/4" effective diameter woofer (cone + 1/3 surround). The tweeter has an extremely strong magnet so it starts rolling off slowly at 1.5khz (~6db/oct) before its 12db/oct roll off at about 750hz.

Because my target crossover point is between 1.2 and 1.4khz, I need to flatten the tweeter's response down to 6-700hz before I apply the final crossover filter. This will require a ~6db boost at 750hz, gradually lessening to 0db at 1.5khz.

I'm using a low crossover point to achieve the flattest power response possible. Fortunately the tweeter is very clean and it has a 0.5mm xmax. The acoustic crossover I want to end up with is a 3rd order butterworth. Configured this way I won't drive them hard.

In your experience, is what I described possible with Dephonica?
Don't know. But I think so. Dephonica has a correction utility which allows you to load a noise sample, set upper and lower FR bounds, and apply smoothing and gain compensation to that sample.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has been a major thread here on Ekio software from Lupisoft for months.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oftware-crossover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/

Hello gene_stl,
Thank you for your kind introduction to my thread.

Hello OP mike7877,
You will be very much welcome visiting and participating my thread;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oftware-crossover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/

You would please find my latest multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier configurations here, my post #416, on my thread.

Last edited:

Vince2

Not sure what audio interface you are using, but I found adobe audition to be compatible with motu and I can employ all the filters I can possibly need, all with great quality.

OP
M

mike7877

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, dualazmak I'll be checking out your thread soon, phoenixdogfan I'll definitely be looking into Dephonica ASAP.

I'm currently occupied though because AKM literally sh!t the bed. Had an accident, caused a horrible mess... Unprecedented really.
Their DACs suddenly became unavailable mid cycle, causing a huuuge stink for many makers of audio equipment. I don't know exactly what happened or how it happened, or their prognosis. But many products are affected. Right now I'm investigating the Denon 3700, doing measurements of both versions. The first obviously with an AKM DAC, the second with an unknown DAC. If you're interested, type "Denon 3700 review audiosciencereview" into google to find the thread. Page 72/73 in about a week will have the results

OP
M

mike7877

Not sure what audio interface you are using, but I found adobe audition to be compatible with motu and I can employ all the filters I can possibly need, all with great quality.

It's an RME Babyface Pro.

From what I can tell with Adobe Audition, crossover functionality isn't built into the software like some of the other suggestions, rather you process a full band stereo track into a filtered, multi-channel track for playback (which ends up being 4, 6, or 8 channels depending on if you have 2, 3, or 4 way speakers).

This method of playback is compatible with how I listen to music through my system, so I'm open to it. I do need to know a couple things I couldn't see in the literature I came across online though: do you have access to the crossover slope and delay for each channel? And is there a way to adjust phase? Like I said, the upper (and larger) portion of my tweeter's bottom octave rolls off at approximately ~6db/octave until the point where the final, steeper slope of 12db/oct kicks in, covering approximately 10 to 35% of the bottom of the tweeter's bottom octave - depending on the final crossover point. Since I'm leaning toward using a lower crossover point, I can't just pick 2nd order electrical and hope the tweeter's 6db rolloff plays well, making a 3rd order acoustic rolloff. It'd be a cool configuration, but not what I'm going for.

Last but not least! Does Adobe have different alignments to choose from? I'm 95% sure the crossover will be an acoustic 3rd order Butterworth between 1.2 and 1.5khz, but if something else sounds better, I will use it

Last edited:

HighImpactAV

JRiver Media Center supports up to 32 channels of DSP for each audio device with crossovers, PEQ, Linkwitz Transform, custom routing, bass management, clip protection, Protect Mode (digital fuse), convolution etc. You can pretty much do whatever you want. I can even route 32 channels of decoded Dolby Atmos through it from an external source. I've been using JRiver for 17 years now.

I have three MOTU AVB interfaces, the RME AVB Tool and the RME M-32 DA Pro. I could play to them all simultaneously from JRiver if I wanted.

Top Bottom