• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP and Sub integration: Which Multi-Channel-DAC can you recommend?

Olli

Forum Donor
I am looking for a kind recommendation wrt to a multichannel DAC that I want to use to better integrate 2 active subs with 2 passive 3 way speakers.

My current setup is a

Mac Mini running Roon - USB to SPDIF converter - MiniDSP DDRC22D (DIRAC live) - Weiss 202 DAC - Pre-Amp - 2 JL Audio E112 Subs (internal XO 60 Hz) - Power Amp - Speakers.

Since I would like to experiment with Audiolense or Acourate, the new set up I have in mind is

1) Mac Mini running Roon and loading either Audiolense or Acourate filters into Roon's convolution engine (and also setting up the crossovers for the Subs within Audiolense or Acourate)
2) Using a Multichannel DAC to output either
a) 3 analogue signals (2 subs and 1 pre/poweramp) or
b) 2 analogue signals (2 subs) and one digital signal to keep my Weiss DAC for everything above the crossover frequency.

The MC Dacs I have been looking into so far are:
Motu UltraLite MK4
RME ADI-8 QS
Lynx Hilo

Ideally, I would like to avoid a SMPS - unfortunately the RME has one. The other concern I have for instance with the Motu is that its SPDIF output is limited to 96 kHz (which is only a problem in 2b of course) - do I understand it correctly that the AES/EBU output of the Lynx Hilo would not have this limitation? I couldn't find any more precise specs on this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
Thanks, Kal. Excellent! Ordered!

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
But this approach (instead of a real MC DAC) also means that you’ll have digital volume control within Roon (or JRiver), correct?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

U-DI08

1537685502102.png

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
Thanks. But how can you control it remotely?

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
But this approach (instead of a real MC DAC) also means you that you have to digital volume control within Roon (or JRiver), correct?

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with that. Roon volume control is available in the tablet or phone apps for remote control.

BTW The MOTU 8A is also an excellent choice. Oh be aware there are 2 versions of the Motu Ultralite MK4, the older one uses AKM DACs and the newer version uses ESS DACs which do perform better.

The MOTUs also have SMPS but again this is nothing to worry about. If correctly implemented it causes no issues - proven by measurement. DACs often have switching regulators inside to generate the plethora of voltages required in the circuit.

Last edited:
OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
Thanks - btw do you have any updates on the measurentw of the Motu UtraliteMk4? Saw your extensive measurements on the AKM version (great), but you did not messure your ESS replacement unit, did you?
The one thing I do not like about the ultralite is that the digital out is limited to 96 kHz.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But this approach (instead of a real MC DAC) also means that you’ll have digital volume control within Roon (or JRiver), correct?
Sure (and, as noted by others, this is just fine) but other options I have used include the insertion of a multichannel analog preamp or the remote-controlled VCs on the DACs.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had a discussion with a manufacturer about making a MCH dac, pre and streamer all in one box as they currently make all products currently. They're just separate. They are looking into the feasibility of doing it and of course it being Roon Ready to just like their streamer. There is a huge need for this that doesn't cost insane prices and can be easily remote controlled. Using multiple dacs and not being able to control the volume together doesn't interest me. Also, having so many wires is a disadvantage to me too. I'm hoping they are able to come through.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Controlling the volume at the source works well, as long as the signal has 24bit depth between the source and DAC.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Controlling the volume at the source works well, as long as the signal has 24bit depth between the source and DAC.
Having multiple dac volume controls to adjust doesn't work for me. There is no way they will all sync perfectly. I've had this discussion with Benchmark.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No I mean controlling the volume at the source, before the DACs (like in Jriver, or in a crossover, etc.)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I mean controlling the volume at the source, before the DACs (like in Jriver, or in a crossover, etc.)
Ah yes, maybe JRiver will do it, Roon might only be able to do it with that miniDSP box that I'm not willing to use.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have had a discussion with a manufacturer about making a MCH dac, pre and streamer all in one box as they currently make all products currently.
Well, that narrows it down to 4 companies. ;)

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
I will try both. A Motu UtraliteMk4 and the U-DI08 should arrive tomorrow. Then I need to decide next if Audiolense or Acourate...

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
I have received the replacement with ESS DACs but havent measured yet. I might get time tomorrow :)

Personally I wouldnt worry one bit about not going higher than 96kHz :)

Cool. Looking forward to that.

So I got the MK4 yesterday - do you know where the low pass option is hidden? High Pass I found. I know that with the MK3 it was via CueMix but that does not seem to be available for the MK4...

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
Sure (and, as noted by others, this is just fine) but other options I have used include the insertion of a multichannel analog preamp or the remote-controlled VCs on the DACs.

Got it - works just fine, you are right. So I might eliminate my noisy Spectral pre Amp from my system for good :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Cool. Looking forward to that.

So I got the MK4 yesterday - do you know where the low pass option is hidden? High Pass I found. I know that with the MK3 it was via CueMix but that does not seem to be available for the MK4...

Go into mixing and turn on EQ and EQ graph. Activate SHELF on the High EQ Controls. Click on the small graph above the slider to get a larger graph
1537957654120.png

Top Bottom