• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSD playback

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Fully agree. I have great respect for the JRiver team so had a quick look at their DSD Wiki:

Quote: The total amount of data from this conversion grows by 8x, so the process is effectively lossless / perfect.

Source: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

So unless Tom C can provide a link to JRiver's 'bit perfect conversion position' I don't believe they ever said that.
"Effectively lossless / perfect" is probably accurate but I don't think that anyone can say that a DSD-to-PCM or PCM-to-DSD is bit-perfect unless it is tested by reconverting back to the original format for comparison.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't know if this helps, but I use JRiver with an ADI-2 DAC and RME's drivers. Using the following settings it will play back 16bit 44.1khz WAV files and DSD 256 without having to change any settings when switching between the two formats and without any problems:

JRiver1.jpg

JRiver2.jpg

JRiver3.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I tried yesterday to do it bit perfect or at least close to that & it worked. First I converted 192000 Hz 24 bit flac to DSD 128 & then back to Wav 352800 16 bit. Got a exact same size, it does sound the same as DSD (software did apply filter). Unfortunately I can't neither show you plots for DSD or 352800 Wav but here goes one's from original & 176400 wave afterwards.
_20200219_024631.JPG
_20200219_024534.JPG

Best regards.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't know if this helps, but I use JRiver with an ADI-2 DAC and RME's drivers. Using the following settings it will play back 16bit 44.1khz WAV files and DSD 256 without having to change any settings when switching between the two formats and without any problems:
Yes. Thanks for the clear illustrations of what we have covered.

OP
B

beanxinh

Since we are on the subject of DSD and PCM, are there any program that can apply EQ to DSD file without convert it to PCM? Thanks.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Since we are on the subject of DSD and PCM, are there any program that can apply EQ to DSD file without convert it to PCM? Thanks.

To do any EQ on DSD it has to be converted to PCM first. That's why most professional studio's record in a PCM format (DXD) first and convert it to DSD afterwards. There are some classical/jazz labels who record directly in DSD, but they spent a lot of time with microphone placement, because, once they are recording, nothing can be changed/adjusted anymore.

So, to answer your question: There are no programs that can apply EQ to DSD directly without converting to PCM first.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Same here. OTOH, I can use Jriver's internal volume control to operate the volume control in my exaSound DAC in PCM and in DSD but that requires a proprietary driver from exaSound.

You are welcome.

Understood that there may be "zero loss of fidelity" but it is hard to say that the conversion is "bit perfect" since the bits in PCM and DSD are different.
I see. Lossless/perfect is not identical to bit perfect. Live and learn.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I see. Lossless/perfect is not identical to bit perfect. Live and learn.
Should be bit per bit as long you follow the matrix (AK DSD 64 [4x16] = 176400 16 bit).

Top Bottom