• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSD is better than PCM!

cany89

Fresh from the oven! From my favorite MC, Paul from PS Audio!

Ok so, maybe he is right, I don't know and don't care much. Because he will probably say he is talking about the marvelous records, recorded directly DSD or something, on their Octave records. So it doesn't apply to the music that I listen to anyway. But he got me when he said we make DSD and PCM versions of the same material and play for the people and everyone says what is that thing! - referring to the superior DSD ofc. lol

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
BS audio strikes (out) again. Didn't have to watch it. Seen enough of his lies and stupidity. He's a moron who's only purpose is to rip you off. Would also recommend you don't watch it and feed the fodder. You will not learn anything and only incourage the idiot.

OP
cany89

cany89

BS audio strikes (out) again. Didn't have to watch it. Seen enough of his lies and stupidity. He's a moron who's only purpose is to rip you off. Would also recommend you don't watch it and feed the fodder. You will not learn anything and only incourage the idiot.

oh you are mean! the video was only 3-4 mins hahah
I know 90% of the information is nonsense, watching it for fun mostly.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another avuncular craptacular.

djh1697

I converted some CD redbook to DSD using dBpoweramp, even there the 650Mb Cd file becomes 2.5Gb DSD file, but the change in quality is instant! The sound has more dimension to it, I am still undecided about the higher rate 96 or 192 PCM files. Roon does the processing, feeding into a March DAC1 via USB, very close to vinyl, and more useful to listen to after a few beers.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Proper blind testing? So you take a 44.1k 16bit file and add a bunch of made up bits and you think there is more information now? Ever heard of information entropy? Sorry I just read the part where it sounds like vinyl, I'm wasting my time.

Last edited:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Proper blind testing? So you take a 44.1k 16bit file and add a bunch of made up bits and you think there is more information now? Ever heard of information entropy? Sorry I just read the part where it sounds like vinyl, I'm wasting my time.
I understand when people are using DSEE HX (Upscaling to add extra fake data basically) to MP3s but to do that to FLACs? I never understood why people would take a good 44.1khz 16bit file and upscale to 192khz/24bit and even DSD64.

I don't know if I got my knowledge right but If I recall, when you take a PCM source and convert it to DSD, its adds noise.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand when people are using DSEE HX (Upscaling to add extra fake data basically) to MP3s but to do that to FLACs? I never understood why people would take a good 44.1khz 16bit file and upscale to 192khz/24bit and even DSD64.

I don't know if I got my knowledge right but If I recall, when you take a PCM source and convert it to DSD, its adds noise.
One possible edge case with CD is upsampling means upon play back you don't get the anti-imaging filter effecting phase of audible frequencies the way you can at 44.1 khz rates. Of course our ears are pretty insensitive to phase in the treble.

radix

Major Contributor
21 years ago Stanley Lipshitz and John Vanderkooy have mathematically proven that DSD is flawed. Yet...

That's a pretty interesting paper. Thanks for the reference.

sngreen

Fresh from the oven! From my favorite MC, Paul from PS Audio!

Ok so, maybe he is right, I don't know and don't care much. Because he will probably say he is talking about the marvelous records, recorded directly DSD or something, on their Octave records. So it doesn't apply to the music that I listen to anyway. But he got me when he said we make DSD and PCM versions of the same material and play for the people and everyone says what is that thing! - referring to the superior DSD ofc. lol

DSD sound better than PCM, this is true.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

sngreen

I listen to DSD albums, I can tell that DSD sounds the same as CD PCM.
Some PCM albums do sound better, as this is how they are likely mastered. Generally DSD is just a better format for high fidelity music, on a good system of course.

Lambda

Major Contributor
people would take a good 44.1khz 16bit file and upscale to 192khz/24bit and even DSD64.
Because to play it back on a modern DAC it needs to be up scaled and Filtered. There are no many "NOS" DAC left and if they are usually terrible.
You can upscale it with basilisk unlimited processing and power an memory with any precision and filter you want on your PC.
Or you trust the DSP inside your DAC to do the job on the fly in real time with propitiatory algorithms.
Brick-wall filters that run in realtime are not physically realizable as they have infinite latency (i.e., its compact support in the frequency domain forces its time response not to have compact support meaning that it is ever-lasting) and infinite order (i.e., the response cannot be expressed as a linear differential equation with a finite sum), but approximate implementations are sometimes used and they are frequently called brick-wall filters.
The First method can give you better results but both are only an approximation.

Also https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

TBone

Major Contributor
Cant believe this is still a debate in 202#.

I have 4 DSD recordings left over that i have not sold, Dylans BOB, SRV texas flood, Floyds DSOTM, and jeff becks blow by blow ... take em up north with me to use as beer coasters (only bc this practice bothers my hi-rez friends big time)

How does it sound "better" esp if the recording is a classic tape based recording from the 60,70,80's ... and a remaster to boot (which generally dont fair well in terms of DR when compared to the orig).

If its DSD native recording, yes, i buy the argument, otherwise ...DSD is such a non issue in the overall scheme of music reproduction - and imo - a total waste of processing power & HD space.

Top Bottom