• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop's BMR1 desktop speakers: opinions?

fineMen

Major Contributor
The drop BMR are 129$ a pair, Kef R3 are 1300$... and the kef would not sound good either if installed flush against a wall, right next to my head. Nevermind the size difference which makes regular full range speakers impossible to install in my case.
O/k, let me explain with an example.
You ask, may I use a mole's mark for skiing?
I say, from my perspective sitting on Mount Everest the mole's mark looks a bit short!
You say, can't bring the Mount Everest to my garden!

Thing is, of course the 'BMR' will generate sound. But it will, expectedly, not satisfy if evaluated from an elevated hifi perpective. Reiterated, better to look further and in case spare some extra money for a more serious product.
The used market keeps lots of offers. Ironically I have two (measured by myself, deep investigation) decent Canton speakers on the shelf that I'm going to drop to the bin soon. They fell out of fashion, that's all, nobody is willing to pay even a symbolic price. An amp (bluetooth and all) for them would cost no more than 100 these days (see tests on ths site elsewhere). Btw. I once bought the JBL LR305, active etc. It was 300 per pair and I couldn't resist. Would I ever pay a single dime for lesser quality? No.

But, one caveat holds, namely that it is your decision.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Guess iLoud still remains uncontested. For 6 years already.
Yeah, but I mean those cost more than twice as much and are a much different animal technically (DSP 2-way with a beefy 3" woofer and all). There's only so much a 2" BMR with some passive radiators can do. They sport a subwoofer output for good reason.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there's a few first impression videos out there

this to me a VERY compromised 1st gen product... and at $129 its kind of... taking the piss

$150+ w/ the grilles is getting really silly

unless you truly need something that is tight up against your monitor frame

to me people dont need the hassle of owning this and the whole 'proprietry' L-R speaker cable... eehhh.. and all the usuability issues

Drop are taking the piss on a lot of products.

tknx

Yeah, it is a bit disappointing as I really want something small that can compete against the iLouds. Right now I feel like the ladder of small computer desktop speakers is pretty much:

Edifier MR4 --> iLoud Micros --> Eve 203 --> Genelec 8010s or iLoud MTMs

If you move up to 5" cones, then of course the world opens up, but those things are chunky...

Doctors11

Yeah, it is a bit disappointing as I really want something small that can compete against the iLouds. Right now I feel like the ladder of small computer desktop speakers is pretty much:

Edifier MR4 --> iLoud Micros --> Eve 203 --> Genelec 8010s or iLoud MTMs

If you move up to 5" cones, then of course the world opens up, but those things are chunky...
You could go passive with something like the Cambridge Audio Minx 12 or 22.

tknx

You could go passive with something like the Cambridge Audio Minx 12 or 22.
Yeah, but that is just more clutter and stuff to deal with - I'll just upsize the monitors. I am looking for my son, and not looking to spend iLoud MTM money on speakers for him - the Edifiers are probably going to be it. Or maybe Presonus's...

fineMen

Major Contributor
Yep, small sized, minimized, but what actually speaks against the before mentioned JBL LSR305? They are objectively, at some places subjectively tested o/k-ish by some sources of audio wisdom. I would, if asked, state that the sound is overall quite good, but compared to excellent 'end game' offerings a tiny bit raspy. I'm not pleased by the performance as it comes so close to be just good and well behaved, but the final step to be as good as it gets is missing. And that is it, while for the BMR discussed here I at least expect a full fleshed fail in every respect. Is there some miracle to be bought at 130? Limbo contest?

I know audio for long and especially followed the development of the BMR hype, sparked first by the foundational DML. The latter represents a different approach alltogether, and properly sized it is successful. The BMR often just doesn't do well. The conventional Peerless TC9FD wide-band driver is way better in every effing aspect than all BMRs I know. So what the heck is the point?

Again, to be avoided.

tknx

I don’t disagree. But cones have the advantage of tons of development. Hell, maybe we should all be using plasma tweeters except for the ozone.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I don’t disagree. But cones have the advantage of tons of development. Hell, maybe we should all be using plasma tweeters except for the ozone.
The DML speakers Fane Mini Pro looks like this:

I won't bother you with pictures of my own specimen. They deliver clean sound out of the box and are used once in a while for garden parties, accompanied by subwoofers up to 200Hz(!). They are, used in-room, a bit huge at 60x50cm^2. Fane missed to sell mirrored devices for perfect stereo, but true stereo isn't the objective anyway (who will sit and stay 'right in the middle'?). They are just fun compared to horn loaded alternatives. The penetration is astounding without becoming too loud up close. Only to tell where the BMR comes from, mathematically. The engineer behind the concept is genius.

The BMR addressed by this thread is a sad let down, frankly. Nearly an insult, sorry.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this to me a VERY compromised 1st gen product... and at $129 its kind of... taking the piss
$150+ w/ the grilles is getting really silly
Agreed. For the same price you get the Neumi BP5A.

There are physical limits to small speakers. You can spend a lot of money to hide those limits, but that isn't done here. This is cheap stuff.
If you really, really need small speakers, then go for the cheapest Logitechs and call it a day. Accumulate money for a bigger desk where you can put larger speakers.

I suspect people will end up disappointed.

Quirkz

So, mine arrived, and the verdit is "eh, they're ok I guess. Price might be a bit high for what it is.'

Most important: Sound: Nothing to get excited about. Servicable for a small desktop speaker, but I really expected more based on the description. It's not much better than those little logitechs you were looking to replace.

At least they're comparatively cheap, but not really cheap. I'd hoped for better performance for the price to be honest.
The cables are weirdly short. Especially egregious for the speaker-to-speaker cable, which is short for a large desk/monitor and is a custom connector. You can't get an off the shelf extension. If you need more than a meter, you're out of luck.
The RCA audio cable is also weirdly short. At least that's something you can replace.
The stands are held in place by a single screw, and the mounting plate isn't much of a mounting plate. Any bump means the speaker tilts and is slightly off center. Why just one screw? there was enough space on the mount for two for security.

concerning: I've just noticed that despite that I've only been running them for about an hour, the base of one is very hot. That worries me, as there no power switch at all. It's hot enough that I'm concerned about leaving these on overnight, which means I'm going to have to unplug them from power, every time I leave my desk. Not to mention heat==power. they're wasting an awful lot of power for a small desktop speaker due to that heat. even when idle.

At least the size is not too bad.

Overall, disappointing. Nothing special, don't bother if you've already got a small, solid desktop speaker. It's not going to be much of an upgrade, if any.
The concerning heating up of the unit tilts it firming across the line in to 'don't buy' territory.

lewdish

So, mine arrived, and the verdit is "eh, they're ok I guess. Price might be a bit high for what it is.'

Most important: Sound: Nothing to get excited about. Servicable for a small desktop speaker, but I really expected more based on the description. It's not much better than those little logitechs you were looking to replace.

At least they're comparatively cheap, but not really cheap. I'd hoped for better performance for the price to be honest.
The cables are weirdly short. Especially egregious for the speaker-to-speaker cable, which is short for a large desk/monitor and is a custom connector. You can't get an off the shelf extension. If you need more than a meter, you're out of luck.
The RCA audio cable is also weirdly short. At least that's something you can replace.
The stands are held in place by a single screw, and the mounting plate isn't much of a mounting plate. Any bump means the speaker tilts and is slightly off center. Why just one screw? there was enough space on the mount for two for security.

concerning: I've just noticed that despite that I've only been running them for about an hour, the base of one is very hot. That worries me, as there no power switch at all. It's hot enough that I'm concerned about leaving these on overnight, which means I'm going to have to unplug them from power, every time I leave my desk. Not to mention heat==power. they're wasting an awful lot of power for a small desktop speaker due to that heat. even when idle.

At least the size is not too bad.

Overall, disappointing. Nothing special, don't bother if you've already got a small, solid desktop speaker. It's not going to be much of an upgrade, if any.
The concerning heating up of the unit tilts it firming across the line in to 'don't buy' territory.
Send em in for measurements!

metaleggman

So, I got mine a few weeks back, so I thought I'd provide some feedback. I also just purchased a Subwoofer to go with them, but more on that later.

As they are, they work well for what they are, as in fairly thin speakers that can fit snugly on a desk. My desktop currently doesn't have space for most powered desktop speakers, let alone a pair of decent bookshelf speakers, so as I mentioned, that was my impetus for ordering them.

I don't have any qualitative measurements, but the mids and lower highs sound adequate for the price and form factor; the lows are admittedly anemic, however. If you attempt to really crank them, despite being powered speakers, you're only going to get about 75-80 dBa from what I could measure on my phone, far lower than what many, nicer passive and active bookshelf speakers can achieve. Still probably louder than one needs for casual listening, but I know I like to crank my speakers sometimes to fill larger spaces while not immediately near my desks or Hi-Fi. Without a Subwoofer, they're admittedly really best for listening to YouTube videos, such as podcasts, perhaps when your head or ears are tired from using headphones.

Once you add a subwoofer, however, they definitely open up, allowing for what I could tell are clearer highs and the ability to drive the speakers higher (this is noted explicitly on Drop's website). I bought the 12" 150w Monoprice Subwoofer when it was just now on sale for around $120. I was able to listen to several genres of music I'm familiar with, and while the setup isn't really close to my Elac Uni-fi U5Fs in my Hi-Fi, they're more than adequate at reproducing music.

One caveat to their sound is that I had actually been using PEACE and a headphone EQ without realizing it. When I turned off the EQ, they definitely sounded worse, which makes me realize these aren't an out of the box, well-tuned experience; that's definitely something you'll find in a nicer set of bookshelf speakers. That being said if someone eventually creates an EQ for them, they could sound even better than with the random EQ I have set. I believe the EQ I had applied was for my Sennheiser HD 6xx cans.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the heat on the primary (right) speaker which contains the amp, but even after driving my unit quite high for several hours, I didn't notice excessive heat. It's warm to the touch, but nothing even close to a hot laptop in my experience. Electronics in my experience can run hot and are designed to do so, so unless we begin to see units failing suddenly from said heat, I personally am not worried about it. If I had to guess, it felt similar to a lukewarm cup of tea. Similarly, while the cable adjoining the speakers is proprietary (as opposed to a standard RCA cable like some active desktop speakers I've used in the past), its length is listed on the website, so one can guesstimate if it is long enough for their desk. While it is an odd, custom shape, the spacing between the connectors is far enough one could reasonably rig up their own connector, or just sacrifice the cable it comes with and make their own longer cable. Not exactly a plus, but the cable and connection as it is seems strong.

My only real issue is that I hooked them up to the bypass line out of my Drop THX AAA 789 amp, and so if I wish to listen to headphones, I have to unplug them from the wall. Not ideal, but the output sounded better than my motherboard's output and even the output directly from my iFi Zen DAC. It's not an ideal setup, but I plan to just use a smart ac switch compatible with Alexa to control it using voice. I had done this prior with my ancient Dell 2.1 speakers I had hooked up anyways.

So where does that leave me? Am I happy with them? Yes, absolutely. Did I end up buying a Subwoofer that costs about as much as the speakers themselves? Also...yes...I think for the price of what I paid (about $280 including the speaker grills), you could easily find a pair of suitable bookshelf speakers that sound as good if not better, or even a Desktop 2.1 setup. Most people would likely be better off finding a way to incorporate larger, less proprietary speakers into their desk configuration, or even mounting them on their wall. That being said, I'm honestly impressed, especially once I added the subwoofer, with what they were capable of. While I expect a second generation product to be better, once everyone's constructive criticism is taken into account, the product as it stands is capable if you need something that truly fits the criteria of very small power speakers. If you don't truly need that, however, do look elsewhere, or follow to see if they release an updated unit in the coming years.

Top Bottom