• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop's BMR1 desktop speakers: opinions?

NicolasGr

These "new" speakers use one balance mode radiation full-range driver supported by a passive radiator each. They can be be placed vertically or horizontally and appear quite flat.
The pair has a subwoofer out.
I find the form factor interesting but I've never seen such drivers out of soundbars. Could it sound reasonably good with dsp for near-field use? Could these be used in the future for home theater support channels ( rear and atmos ) in smaller rooms ?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see how they measure. The frequency response spec is very loose at +/-6db and the thd doesn't really say at what spl. With a single driver these will have some frequency response problems. Also I will guess these are only good at low spl levels and distort quickly. They are meant to be desktop speakers so wouldn't work for surround sound unless you are looking for a PC surround sound setup with a few feet of yourself sitting at a computer.

I am just guessing so you could buy a pair and send them to amir to measure.

OP
N

NicolasGr

Would be interesting to see how they measure. The frequency response spec is very loose at +/-6db and the thd doesn't really say at what spl. With a single driver these will have some frequency response problems. Also I will guess these are only good at low spl levels and distort quickly. They are meant to be desktop speakers so wouldn't work for surround sound unless you are looking for a PC surround sound setup with a few feet of yourself sitting at a computer.

I am just guessing so you could buy a pair and send them to amir to measure.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I was thinking of rear HT speakers since my couch is backed against a wall with corners on each side: I would need something that can play low volume, near field , 2 to 5 feet max. Right now I have kef eggs ( KHT3005SE) on surround and Atmos duty; the sound is great but wouldn't mind something flatter ( can't use IKEA Sonos paintings speakers as they are locked in sonos ecosystem).
I live in Europe so not very cost effective to drop at Amir and then sent here, another time perhaps :)

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert

These "new" speakers use one balance mode radiation full-range driver supported by a passive radiator each. They can be be placed vertically or horizontally and appear quite flat.
The pair has a subwoofer out.
I find the form factor interesting but I've never seen such drivers out of soundbars. Could it sound reasonably good with dsp for near-field use? Could these be used in the future for home theater support channels ( rear and atmos ) in smaller rooms ?
I haven't worked with this particular BMR model, which is either this one: https://www.parts-express.com/Tecto...-Full-Range-Speaker-4-Ohm-297-2166?quantity=1 or this: https://www.parts-express.com/Tecto...-Full-Range-Speaker-4-Ohm-297-2170?quantity=1

The BMR units are surprisingly good performers, but they run into trouble at the high end, where there's a shift in the driver motion mode that causes a disturbance. There's also a shift around 1800 Hz with a resulting peak and dip, but this can be tamed if the cabinet sub-enclosure is carefully sealed and damped. Below is the frequency response of the most expensive BMR driver, which I use in my home theater tower. I think you can see why I only use it as a midrange. The other issue of just sticking a BMR in a cabinet is that there won't be any baffle step compensation. I'm guessing there will be a gap between the passive radiator output and where the BMR gains its full output at around 1 kHz. But obviously the truth would be in the hearing.

1673372318273.png

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've ordered two pairs before even reading the reviews.
I would expect them to sound better than the speakers built into my computer monitors.

twsecrest

Ordered the BMR1 back in February, shipping expected in August, trying to hold on, temped to cancel order.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Ordered the BMR1 back in February, shipping expected in August, trying to hold on, temped to cancel order.
I'm not sure which speaker you're referring to under the "BMR1" moniker. Do you mean the True Mini's? We're shipping those now. If for some reason you got skipped, please email me at [email protected] with your real name so I can track this down. thanks.

Doctors11

I'm not sure which speaker you're referring to under the "BMR1" moniker. Do you mean the True Mini's? We're shipping those now. If for some reason you got skipped, please email me at [email protected] with your real name so I can track this down. thanks.
I'm guessing he's talking about the Drop BMR1 mentioned in the first post.

twsecrest

After a few negative reviews, I canceled my order, hopefully version 2.0 will come out, with improvements.

Penelinfi

There was a time you could buy some 3.5" BMR drivers for $12 each. Ferrite magnet, probably not the best for open rear as the flat disc sandwich is so close to the similarly sized top plate that there wasn't much room for airflow imo.

fineMen

Major Contributor
These "new" speakers use one balance mode radiation full-range driver supported by a passive radiator each.
They won't keep the promise. I'm looking at them from the perspective of fully satisfactory (aka 'end-game') speakers that cost 2000 a pair, KEF R3s namely. I think, to buy the referring micro speakers would probably be a waste of money and time with, at best or worst maybe, slowly growing frustration.

Physics determines the technological possibilities. These guys are way too small to deliver clean sound with appropriate bandwith (both ends) even with subs at reasonable levels. One might anticipate some extra expenses to push the tight envelope a bit, but that is not what you would do in buying them. They might not even end-up as supplementary speakers in surround sound applications.

There are good DML (predecessor of the BMR marketing hype) speakers, but again those are comparitively huge and costly. My specimen are 60x50cm^2 and were about 1,5k each in 2014. Exceptionally good at garden parties ;) with subs.

Last edited:

metaleggman

They won't keep the promise. I'm looking at them from the perspective of fully satisfactory (aka 'end-game') speakers that cost 2000 a pair, KEF R3s namely. I think, to buy the referring micro speakers would probably be a waste of money and time with, at best or worst maybe, slowly growing frustration.
Why would you ever look at them from that perspective? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely confused. As a consumer, and since we're all on this board, even if something like the Truthear Zero Reds are great, measurement wise, you wouldn't seriously compare them to something like the Unique Melody MEST, other than out of curiosity's and measurement's sake. That isn't to say a lower priced option can't compete with something more expensive, but something like the KEF R3 is some serious equipment, to a normal audiophile anyways. A totally difference class of equipment, imo.

I personally ordered them to replace a chintzy 15-ish year old 2.1 generic dell setup I randomly found in storage just so I could listen to my PC while cleaning. I'm not going to compare them to my Uni-Fi Elac UF5s and Cambridge Audio Azure Topaz SR20, which when I got it cost me about $1400 before tax. I especially wouldn't compare them to something even nicer than that setup.

I only have so much space on my 30" x 59" Lander desk, the aesthetics are interesting enough, and the use of BMR is novel for me, so they seem worth a shot. Sure, down the line I'd love a pair of higher quality bookshelf speakers for my computer (which again, that's the point of them, to replace your monitors or some cheap speaker setup), but since I generally use headphones with my PC, it would be money better spent on nicer headphones. I already have a THX AAA 789, Senny HD6XX, and HifiMan HE-4XX, so other than upgrading my iFi Zen DAC, of which I'm only mildly impressed with, the only thing I'm really concerned with most of the time is getting some higher end open headphones. Maybe something higher end from Audeze. Also I clearly have a lot of Drop products, but I'm sure I could still hate them. I just happened to see the BMR1s when checking up on the year plus wait for a gmk key cap order.

Hopefully I enjoy them, and I'm sure they'll be better than what I'll be replacing, but it does seem like if you're looking to replace current good gear, or don't exactly have a need for them, it would be worth waiting for a second revision, some better quality reviews, or doing more research on something that might better fit within a similar budget. Or hell, just save up, if you have the room, for decent bookshelf speakers. I plan on getting a sub, likely a cheaper one from Monoprice, but part of that is because I could use a decent foot rest :p

Hopefully they ship earlier than the 21st, given that reviewers seem to have been given units.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Why would you ever look at them from that perspective? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely confused. As a consumer, ... but something like the KEF R3 is some serious equipment, to a normal audiophile anyways. A totally difference class of equipment, imo.
Never mind, no bad feelings. But that's why I said what my perspective is. The offer in discussion is just not 'good audio'. Especially not with some plan to use them for surround later. I tend to recommend to get decent speakers instead even if they cost double. We have a saying here like "to buy cheap means to buy twice".

OP
N

NicolasGr

Never mind, no bad feelings. But that's why I said what my perspective is. The offer in discussion is just not 'good audio'. Especially not with some plan to use them for surround later. I tend to recommend to get decent speakers instead even if they cost double. We have a saying here like "to buy cheap means to buy twice".
The drop BMR are 129$ a pair, Kef R3 are 1300$... and the kef would not sound good either if installed flush against a wall, right next to my head. Nevermind the size difference which makes regular full range speakers impossible to install in my case.

Top Bottom