• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X Review (Headphone)

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you put them over HD560s or tygr300r for gaming?
I haven't personally heard any of these (only own the HD58X and didn't like what I heard on other Beyer sets like the DT series and used to own an Antlion 5.0 mic), but based on many cross comparisons of measurements and reviews of the HD560s and HD58X and PC38X, as well as microphone demos on YouTube, I'd say the 560s would definitely be better if you are using or plan to use a dedicated microphone (can't comment on the Beyers due to personal bias; the MMX 300 2nd Gen is known to have a great attached mic though if that's what you're looking for).

The microphone quality on the PC38X and its distortion measurements make it kind of meh compared to most dedicated headphones/microphones. Currently I am using a Motu M2 and Rode NT1 setup for my gaming and communication needs. I still think the PC38X is great for its tuning and convenience though, as it needs no EQ, Amp or Audio Interface to deliver what it promises. It hits mainstream standards across all aspects, and is a godsend for those looking for something specifically like it at an affordable price (especially when deducting the costs of needing an XLR/USB mic and audio interface or headphone amp which can easily amount to hundreds).

To summarise, it provides decent (but nowhere near top-of-the-range) all-rounded performance at a great price with nice features in a single package

Last edited:
Reactions: t$$

phoenixsong

Would you put them over HD560s or tygr300r for gaming?
Solderdude just measured these, the PC38X indeed would be much more preferable without the prominent spike. Distortion in the TYGR doesn't look desirable either

bravomail

so I got those from drop.com during Black Friday week, with all discounts applied and my "drop cashback" it came down to $100. Was really hard to resist, and cashback was expiring.
Microphone is meh - cuts off all lower freqs, voice sounds unnatural.
But the headphones. For music, even without EQ, - really good. For games - not so much. I have to apply EQ and retry.
Mobile usage - great, and even better with any external DAC, I used Apple USB dongle, beats my laptop or tablet built-in audio. Keep in mind though - those r really open headphones, outside sounds r not blocked at all. If ur in a noisy env (work or bus or car) - I suggest getting closed back headphones.
Volume control is really distracting and annoying for me - I wish they dropped it (pun intended). At first I thought PC38x is "insensitive", but turns out volume was on low.
Headband is OK for me, those two cushions on it r not comfortable at all - bad choice of material.
Earpads - installed r bad, get ur ears hot, I immediately replaced them with (included) velour earpads. Much improved comfort.
As for stiffness and adjusting headband clamping force - I guess my head is just the right size for Senns. :D
Included cables are both with 3.5mm ends. No 6.5mm love. :( Had to dig thru my collection of 3.5-to-6.5 adapters.
Seeing that 58x costs about the same but has no mic, and higher impedance 28 vs 150 Ohm (which is not good for mobile) - I vote for PC38X.

Last edited:

FTB

Hello there,

I'm thinking about buying a PC38X.
Is the 1.5 kHz peak is audible ? It could be a no go if so...

Thanks

Limopard

Bought this one, mainly as a headset for home office use. The on-ear Jabra provided by my employer is a bit uncomfortable. However, I'm pleasantly surprised how good this one sounds with music with some eq applied. Now I read Crinacle's review where he praises the tuning but slays the technicalities. I don't hear that much difference to the HD 560s, both EQed to the Harman curve and using moderate listening levels. What am I doing wrong? Or are the so called technicalities overrated?

Maybe at higher levels the distortion of the PC38x becomes more obvious. I'd rather keep my hearing intact.

phoenixsong

Bought this one, mainly as a headset for home office use. The on-ear Jabra provided by my employer is a bit uncomfortable. However, I'm pleasantly surprised how good this one sounds with music with some eq applied. Now I read Crinacle's review where he praises the tuning but slays the technicalities. I don't hear that much difference to the HD 560s, both EQed to the Harman curve and using moderate listening levels. What am I doing wrong? Or are the so called technicalities overrated?

Maybe at higher levels the distortion of the PC38x becomes more obvious. I'd rather keep my hearing intact.
What's upstream?

Top Bottom